Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I am new to jeeps and this is my first post. I used to be a mustang guy so I'm big on performance. I bought this 4.0 L Wrangler just a couple weeks ago and I'm now happy to say I'm an addict. Right now I'm looking at both Superchips or Hypertech power tuners. I'm actually in it more for the mileage than the horsepower and torque, although those are nice perks. Which one is better. I would like some actual experiences from someone who has had or currently has one installed. I've researched both and I cant find a whole lot of bad stuff on Hypertech. I've read that superchips has somewhat of a slow processor and is made cheaply. I like that Hypertech has an option for real time engine monitoring. If someone could give me some real world insight I would really appreciate it. Thanks a ton!

·
Registered
892 Posts
potato chips, yummm.
dont waste your money, you wont see or feel any gain in terms of power or economy. just do a proper tune up.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did a tune up as soon as I bought the car. I bought the parts...in the jeep...before I got it to my house for the first time...and had the tune up done before I had to go out with the gf that night haha! Do you have one of the tuners? I'd like to hear about your experience with it if you dont think that its worth it. I have read some articles, even on here, that say it is a significant difference in shifting, economy and some power. I had a tunable chip in the mustang and with a dyno tune on it, it made me about 15 horsepower 12 tq rear wheel so I'm not ready to just write the tuner off as junk just yet.

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
If you want performance go back to the Mustang. None of these so called chips, or any other performance and gas saver addons, are worth their packaging. If they were so good why don't the auto manufacturers use them. Why, because they do not work as published in many trade magazines and the EPA.

Use your money on some useful mods for the Jeep.

·
Registered
892 Posts
I did a tune up as soon as I bought the car. I bought the parts...in the jeep...before I got it to my house for the first time...and had the tune up done before I had to go out with the gf that night haha! Do you have one of the tuners? I'd like to hear about your experience with it if you dont think that its worth it. I have read some articles, even on here, that say it is a significant difference in shifting, economy and some power. I had a tunable chip in the mustang and with a dyno tune on it, it made me about 15 horsepower 12 tq rear wheel so I'm not ready to just write the tuner off as junk just yet.
are you 100% sure that the increased numbers on your mustang were only due to the chip you installed?
on some performance cars, those chips might give you a bit of extra hp by increasing rev limiter, or make the engine run a bit richer by tricking the IAT sensor, but on a Jeep not so much.
think about it. a 300hp engine with a 10hp increase, thats only 3%. the 4L makes about 180hp, thats about 5hp increase. you never gonna feel the difference with your buttdyno.
and a Jeep is not a boy racer, you bought the wrong vehicle for performance driving.

·
Registered
6,886 Posts
Welcome

I was (and still am a Mustang owner 89, nicely modified). After 18 years with the Mustang I've had the Jeep for 3 years now.

1 - Do not expect the same performace type things that have worked on the stang to do much if anything for the Jeep.

2 - Most of the usual bolt on items (air filters, tuners, headers etc) may add a little at the very high en, but consider the way you really drive the Jeep. You are not going to be racing it and hungry for each 1/10. You are not going to be flooring it all the time.

3 - Posts about performance do get shot down a lot because it is not a popular way to mod the Jeep (and sorry but there are not a lot of folks here that know about modding and items that do actually work on other types of vehicles).

4 - Forget about asking about a K&N of other high flow filter (put on your flame proof suit if you do). They are fine for street use (been using them for over 20 years) but most/many Jeepers use them off road and a K&N may not be the best choice and bashed at each mention. I do have a drop in K&N from the previous owner. Mine is a daily street driver and I am not worried about it for the 5-6 time I may be off road in slightly dusty conditions.

5 - Headers do nothing and are prone to cracking due to the solid design

6 - There have been a few superchargers. RIPP I believe is the only currently available. Fuel management has been a problem with the Jeep system. Forced induction is not very popular.

7 - Stroking or V8 engine swap is pretty much the only way to get any real problem.

I still love my stang and drove it daily for 18 years (260 k mi). I am content that the Jeep will not come any where close to it. Frankly I would not want a lifted Jeep w/ 33's to accelerate like the stang.

·
Registered
6,886 Posts
are you 100% sure that the increased numbers on your mustang were only due to the chip you installed?
on some performance cars, those chips might give you a bit of extra hp by .
Yes Superchips tuner and Hypertech tuners do yield gains, and on some applications some cases pretty big.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I really wish the guys who choose other routes for themselves would just not respond to these posts. Particularly "why would you do that to a jeep?" type answers are just not helpful.

I chipped me freeking motorhome! So you know where I sit on this. And the motohome responded by giving me way more power at LOW rpms.

What I've read is that the TJ computer cannot be flashed. The available chips piggyback onto it and mess with it's inputs, adjusting the behavior of the MAP and TPS sensors and stuff like that and fooling the pcm into changing the fuel or timing.

Others put larger injectors in it. (If you put larger injectors in your mustang, the ones you took out will work in your TJ.)

The rambler six has a lot to gain from tuning. The timing needs to come in sooner for better low end torque, and the fuel goes flat around 3500 rpm, more fuel would give lots more power up high.
The engine is also detonation prone so you need to be careful.

I may try a tuner anyway, nuttin to lose but a few hundred bucks.
Anyone got an LM-1 wideband to load me for a few days?

·
Registered
379 Posts
ide swap out the cam and port the cylinder head before I would chip it, just too many other bottlenecks on the 4.0 for a chip to really take advantage of messing with fuel/air ratios

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
The fuel and timing curves are pretty much optimized for the 4.0 already.

Start with the breathing, both in and out.
A free flowing intake is a cheap start, then free up the exhaust.
Now the engine becomes the limiting factor.

Match the intake runners to the head, polish all the ports, get a higher lift cam (but with the same duration and overlap) or install ratio rockers and stronger valve springs for the same effect. Increasing the compression will help too - but then you are limiting yourself to the gas you run.

After all that, you might find a little extra with the timing. The fuel is still determined by the O2 sensors - the PCM will always try to keep it close to Stochiometric (the most efficient).

Remember - it's controlled by a MAP sensor - more or different cam duration or overlap will drive the poor MAP sensor nuts!

The old adage is true -
-- SPEED COSTS MONEY - HOW FAST DO YOU WANT TO GO?

·
Registered
6,886 Posts
8 - Forgot to mention regearing. Particularly if you have larger tires.

·
Registered
16,641 Posts
If you have the money to do it.. Stroke it or supercharge it and sure up the other drivetrain components.. Only way to really get more out of the 4.0

But as said before money is best spent in other mods first

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just want more torque and some better fuel economy if possible. Not looking for a race car guys. Just wanted to know if the tuner was worth the money. The Jeep already has lockers front and rear, not sure what gearing, 33 inch tires, 4" lift, adjustable control arms, removable end links. Just ordered an electric fan by FF Dynamics. Just looking for my next mod. So whats next then?

·
Registered
16,641 Posts
Good Winch Bumper and Winch

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Maybe a good exhaust? Anyone have anything good to say about pacesetter headers? I've got a guy looking to sell me a new set for 200

1 - 20 of 35 Posts