Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2019 JL that is my daily driver. I do some trail and light mud stuff. I am not extreme, but want larger tires and some more clearance. I searched the site and didn’t see it, but am looking at the basic 2.5” lift by rough country and am curious on reviews. Of course their website gives glorious reviews, but wondered what this site thought.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2,775 Posts
If I were to do a budget build 2.5” lift on my JL I would go for the Rancho Sport kit. Very affordable and I wouldn’t sacrifice a penny less. Ride/Performance is a very important attribute to you r jeep.. Buy once cry once.

I like Teraflex too!

·
Registered
166 Posts
I have a 2019 JL that is my daily driver. I do some trail and light mud stuff. I am not extreme, but want larger tires and some more clearance. I searched the site and didn’t see it, but am looking at the basic 2.5” lift by rough country and am curious on reviews. Of course their website gives glorious reviews, but wondered what this site thought.

Thanks

If it is the spacer lift, you'll retain the stock springs/shocks, so if you like the stock ride, it will stay relatively the same with the ability to run larger tires.

I ran the Rough Country 2.5" spacer lift for the JK initially while I decided what springs/shocks I wanted so that I could get the 35s on right away. It served its purpose, had no issues and was dirt cheap. Jeep drove fine around town but eventually I had to start driving an hour each way on the highway for work and I quickly needed to add lower control arms to correct caster. Ran that set up for about a year.

No experience with the JL specific kit, so I can't speak to any fitment issues but I wouldn't be worried about welds or steel quality of the kit for light wheeling based on my JK experience.

·
Premium Member
16,902 Posts
X2 on the Rancho Sport lift.
Great ride/handling etc.

I haven't checked lately but I think October is a Rebate month for Rancho

·
Registered
66 Posts
I’ve got about 9000 (Including 2 weeks ofraod in Colorado) miles on my 2.5” rough country lift which is on my 19 JLUR with 35s. Got it for $200 installed. Drove the 2000 miles out and back at 75 mph thru west Texas. Not dead yet!!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info. I think for my use (mostly on road) the rough country will work.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I’ve got about 9000 (Including 2 weeks ofraod in Colorado) miles on my 2.5” rough country lift which is on my 19 JLUR with 35s. Got it for $200 installed. Drove the 2000 miles out and back at 75 mph thru west Texas. Not dead yet!!

How would you describe ride quality before and after? Thanks

·
Registered
66 Posts
Pretty much in the same boat. I was quoted nearly $1200 installed for the Rancho kit with the geometry brackets they recommended ($1060 without). Not quite budget when all is said and done.

·
Registered
765 Posts
I ran the RC spacer lift in 2.5" for several years. It does retain the factoty ride, but with a leveling lift front-back. I would also upgrade your shocks to extended shocks when you do the lift and it will help the ride also. I used Rancho RS Gas shocks, which were on the softer side. I only switch to progressive coils and Rubicon Express shocks recently and they are much stiffer than the RE spacer lift. It is easy to install and so far, the spacers and RC components have zero rust or heavy wear (mind you I am in California.) I say if you want a budget lift, go for the RC. I even did Moderate to difficult wheeling with the kit and had zero issues.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Pretty much in the same boat. I was quoted nearly $1200 installed for the Rancho kit with the geometry brackets they recommended ($1060 without). Not quite budget when all is said and done.
Unless you have no mechanical talent at all, jeeps are one of the easiest vehicle to work on. And JL being a new model, no bolts should be seized. So easy peasy it will be. Just buy good spring compressors and if you have a fairly basic tool kit, you are good to go.

Sent from my VOG-L04 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
166 Posts
I think also depends on how much time you want to spend on the install as well. After realizing it was probably going to take me an entire weekend to install my JKS lift, no air tools or lift, I decided the $600 my local shop quoted me was worth it.

That and the piece of mind knowing it was done correctly.

Reactions: MoparMari

·
Registered
66 Posts
Unless you have no mechanical talent at all, jeeps are one of the easiest vehicle to work on. And JL being a new model, no bolts should be seized. So easy peasy it will be. Just buy good spring compressors and if you have a fairly basic tool kit, you are good to go.

Sent from my VOG-L04 using Tapatalk

I'd love to do it myself and learn a little more about my jeep. Hard with no garage currently and a 2 year old running around.

·
Premium Member
16,902 Posts
It's all about ending up with your desired goal....notice I didn't mention $$.

It's common sense to do it in as cost efficient manner possible BUT make sure the end game has been defined - then Read/Read/and Read some more.

Finally - Buy the Best solution possible. Sometimes "Best possible" actually means "least compromised".

Lifts are no exception albeit, done correctly they pretty damn well improve what Jeep built back in the shop. Not a lot of mods change the very foundation (pun) ... presence & personality of a Rig - like a Lift does.

Have fun. Get what You want.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Looks like this.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
I started with a Rough Country 2.5" spacer lift on my JK and it rode fine. Then graduated to a Rancho 3" Sport lift. The Rancho rides amazingly better, but the shocks are certainly part of that equation.

Ran an RC on my XJ for several years same thing.

If I started all over again, I would stash some cash for a couple of months, keep an eye out for the Rancho rebate program or other discounts that hopefully comes out around Black Friday. It is only a $400ish more for kit with adjustable shocks than the RC kit.

·
Super Moderator
2,775 Posts
I started with a Rough Country 2.5" spacer lift on my JK and it rode fine. Then graduated to a Rancho 3" Sport lift. The Rancho rides amazingly better, but the shocks are certainly part of that equation.

Ran an RC on my XJ for several years same thing.

If I started all over again, I would stash some cash for a couple of months, keep an eye out for the Rancho rebate program or other discounts that hopefully comes out around Black Friday. It is only a $400ish more for kit with adjustable shocks than the RC kit.

Buy once cry once. This is a 38-40k+ Jeep. You’ve come this far and you get what you pay for. Even if it’s just a daily driver, there’s no comparison on how much better a few hundred bones saved, will get you. The Rancho sport system is your best bang for the buck. Price of install should be no more than 500$.
Best advice save 400ish more $

·
Registered
66 Posts
How would you describe ride quality before and after? Thanks
Before was only a few miles. Came home from the dealer with the lift and 35s. It wandered all over the road till I let some air out of the tires. The wife has had it over 90 mph passing cars at first that made me nervous. It’s way better down the hiway than my previous two JKs.

·
Premium Member
3,418 Posts
I think also depends on how much time you want to spend on the install as well. After realizing it was probably going to take me an entire weekend to install my JKS lift, no air tools or lift, I decided the $600 my local shop quoted me was worth it.

That and the piece of mind knowing it was done correctly.
Well, I hope that is what you get. I have owned five Jeeps. Two lifted by a tire shop, two lifted by a dealer, and the last one I did myself. I ended up with a great lift job on my own but it came in stages of learning. The dealer did the worst job with one Jeep downright dangerous. The tire shop did fine but very pricey. I am not sure which way I will go with my new JL that I pick up next week. I am still evaluating the time vs. the cost. Even having done one I hesitate at the amount of work it takes to get it right.

·
Registered
166 Posts
So far so good, it’s been about two months since installation and one light off road experience. I did a bunch of research on the shop I took it to as well as a few conversations with the owner before deciding to pull the trigger. Additional I had watched hours of installation videos and reviewed the instructions multiple times on my specific lift with every intention of doing it myself so I was fairly confident when I got my jeep back I would be able to pinpoint if their were any issues with the installation.

Personally I just knew if I did it myself it would be an full weekend job with lots of frustration. Plus I knew I would end up losing it when I got to that one bolt that would take two hours to get off when all the rest took 30 seconds or that one thing that didn’t match the instructions for whatever reason and I would be down the rabbit hole trying to figure out why.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts