Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 193 Posts

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had to part with my JKU a few years ago to get a truck. Still miss it terribly. But, the Gladiator is exactly what I’ve been waiting on. Really excited for this.

·
Super Moderator
15,712 Posts
We have an old Ford to use for towing every couple of weeks. That's our only need for a truck, so the Gladiator doesn't really fit a need for us right now. Also the departure angle looks pretty bad for off road. But if we had to have a truck, I would be looking hard at it.

Who knows what the future holds.....???....????

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I could care less about the towing capacity on it to be honest. We have his 2500 Cummins to pull my horse trailer. I just need to be able to pick up a bale of hay on my way home from time to time. So, this is the perfect answer for my wants/needs without buying a 3rd vehicle.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Quite possibly... but not for a couple of years.

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
It does have a lot of "cool factor" but I doubt I can justify getting one, even if I was replacing an existing vehicle. For me it would be a 5th vehicle right now and I don't really use 2 of the 4 I already own.

·
Premium Member
1,082 Posts
Absolutely I'll be buying one! I've been struggling with the Jeep and RV dilemma for years. My 2015 JKUR can only tow 3,500 pounds. That's a pop up, maybe a tiny travel trailer. Now I can tow a travel trailer no problem and still be able to go off roading when I get to where I'm going. The departure angle is worse but that's nothing a skid plate can't fix. I was looking at $180K motor homes that could tow my Jeep. Now overnight, it's like my problems are solved. I see that it will be available with a diesel motor AND in Gator green which looks like my current Tank green. TAKE MY MONEY!

Also, think of the campers that will come out that you can put in the bed of this thing.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I once bought a Taco with a short bed and didn't like it.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Real pickup? what a term. A pickup is a pickup any way you slice it. Some are more capable...others are perfect for what someone wants to use it for. I think it would work fine for him and he probably knows that.

Wikipedia:

A pickup truck is a light-duty truck having an enclosed cab and an open cargo area with low sides and tailgate.[1] Once a work tool with few creature comforts, in the 1950s, consumers began purchasing pickups for lifestyle reasons, and by the 1990s, less than 15% of owners reported use in work as the pickup truck's primary purpose.[2] Today in North America, the pickup is mostly used like a passenger car[3] and accounts for about 18% of total vehicles sold in the US.[4]

·
Super Moderator
9,265 Posts
Real pickup? what a term. A pickup is a pickup any way you slice it. Some are more capable...others are perfect for what someone wants to use it for. I think it would work fine for him and he probably knows that.

Wikipedia:

A pickup truck is a light-duty truck having an enclosed cab and an open cargo area with low sides and tailgate.[1] Once a work tool with few creature comforts, in the 1950s, consumers began purchasing pickups for lifestyle reasons, and by the 1990s, less than 15% of owners reported use in work as the pickup truck's primary purpose.[2] Today in North America, the pickup is mostly used like a passenger car[3] and accounts for about 18% of total vehicles sold in the US.[4]
Honda must have used Wikipedia when it decided to build Ridgeline; it fits their definition perfectly. Unfortunately, it appears Wikipedia sucks at forecasting sales volume.

Per the OP: I am not considering JT or JL any time soon. FCA still has to prove to me it can deliver acceptable levels of quality before I agree to give them $60,000 of my hard-earned money.

·
Registered
305 Posts

Wikipedia:

The question I was answering was in the thread title regarding if I was buying one and I am not. I am not judging anyone else's choices. I was stating why it wasnt the right choice for me. I hope many are able to buy them and enjoy them to the fullest.

·
Registered
721 Posts
It's cool looking for sure and my inner 10 year old is screaming "Take my money!!!"

But there is no way I'm dropping the kinda coin on something wrangler based...at least for what people are projecting these will sell for. I want a truck for my next vehicle, but at this point I'm looking at the Trail Boss Silverado, ZR2 Colorado, F150 or Ranger. A JT for $60k is a non starter for me

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Lol I keep seeing way too many people trying to compare this to full sized trucks. It’s Jeep’s version of the Tacoma, Colorado, Ranger, etc. Comparing it to anything bigger than that is just plain silly.

I have a 4-horse gooseneck trailer. I can’t tow it behind the Ram 1500 I’m driving now. That’s what my husband’s Ram 2500 is for. I don’t need a “real truck”. I just need something I can toss a couple bales of hay into the bed from time to time without having to pick it out of my Jeep’s carpet. (I only did that once in the jku. Bad idea)

But, I’m finding the “real truck” comments kinda funny. Do people not understand the difference between a mid size and full sized trucks?

·
Registered
212 Posts
"I can toss a couple bales of hay into the bed from time to time without having to pick it out of my Jeep’s carpet. (I only did that once in the JKU. Bad idea)"

I made that same mistake years ago with a bale of wheat straw in the back of my '87 K5 Blazer. I picked straw pieces out of the crevices for the next 5 years and bet there's still more today. Anything with a bed separate from the cab qualifies for this purpose.

·
Premium Member
9,873 Posts
I’m conflicted...

Buy a Jeep truck for $60K? Or.....

Have my 2002 Chevrolet Express 8.1L 3500 LWB stripped to the bare metal and have it repainted for $10K?

The Express only has 25K miles and hauls anything you can muster up.. not to mention be able to sleep in it.

It’s my go to vehicle if I ever become homeless.

:-/

·
Super Moderator
9,265 Posts
Lol I keep seeing way too many people trying to compare this to full sized trucks. It’s Jeep’s version of the Tacoma, Colorado, Ranger, etc. Comparing it to anything bigger than that is just plain silly.

I have a 4-horse gooseneck trailer. I can’t tow it behind the Ram 1500 I’m driving now. That’s what my husband’s Ram 2500 is for. I don’t need a “real truck”. I just need something I can toss a couple bales of hay into the bed from time to time without having to pick it out of my Jeep’s carpet. (I only did that once in the jku. Bad idea)

But, I’m finding the “real truck” comments kinda funny. Do people not understand the difference between a mid size and full sized trucks?
It is not silly to compare JT to a fullsize truck if Jeep wants fullsize price for it.

Right now a fully loaded JL Rubicon is fast approaching $60,000, and FCA has indicated it will position JT as a "premium" truck.

Anything over $50,000 starts to get well into fullsize pickup territory. By the time you get past $60,000 you start getting into Power Wagon and Raptor territory.

·
Registered
721 Posts
It is not silly to compare JT to a fullsize truck if Jeep wants fullsize price for it.

Right now a fully loaded JL Rubicon is fast approaching $60,000, and FCA has indicated it will position JT as a "premium" truck.

Anything over $50,000 starts to get well into fullsize pickup territory. By the time you get past $60,000 you start getting into Power Wagon and Raptor territory.
That's how I've looked at this. Compare this to a ZR2/Canyon/Taco for my uses and those beat it on price alone (I get GM family pricing). If you qualify for employee pricing you can build a nicely equipped AEV Bison Edition ZR2 for just under $50k (MSRP as configured was $54k).

The possible price point of $60K puts this thing into full size territory where the competition gets steep. Combine that with the price slashing that companies do to get people into a full size and the JT isn't too great of a deal unless you've been dying do have a Jeep Truck again, and there's nothing wrong with that.

·
Registered
3,428 Posts

And all of this is just unfounded speculation until they actually release the prices. Just because it's going to be a "premium" truck doesn't mean they're going to ask $10K more than the competition. Hell, a $500 difference can be considered "a price premium".

Besides, a fully optioned ZR2 Colorado can get up near $54K before you add in all the dealer installed options. (I know, I just went to the Chevy website and priced it out.) Same story with the a fully loaded Tacoma TRD Pro. How is that going to stack up against a fully optioned JT Rubicon? It's impossible to say until FCA actually releases a pricing structure. To jump to conclusions that it's going to top $60K at this point in time is premature at best.

With existing compact pickups being optioned north of $50K, we are already in a situation where they're in a significant price overlap with 1/2 ton pickups. So what's really different with the JT?

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
Compare this to a ZR2/Canyon/Taco for my uses and those beat it on price alone
How do you know since they haven't released any pricing information on the JT yet?

Sure, the GM discount will probably make the Colorado/Canyon much more price competitive for you personally but not a lot of people get that discount. Or, in my case, I get supplier discounts with both GM and FCA (along with others) so they're all a better deal for me than the average person.

1 - 20 of 193 Posts