Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 167 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at a new Sahara Unlimited but my dealer of choice in AZ seems to only have those with the I-4 engine. Anyone have one of those? Comments on performance would be appreciated , we spend most of our Jeep time in Colorado above 9000ft. Had a 2013 Sahara Unlimited with the V6 and was totally satisfied with it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Mine (Sahara unlimited 2L turbo, w/o etorque) is still on order so I can't comment on experience, but I did test drive both and have researched the snot out of them before we decided on which one to buy.

My conclusion was if you use your Jeep primarily as a daily driver and "get up and go" is important to you, then go for the 2L.

If you want to do a bit more offroading and are willing to trade the "zipping around the city" feel for the extra power feel of the V6, then that's the one you should choose.

I liked the V6 just fine when I test drove it, but the minute I hit the gas on the I-4 I knew right away which one ABSOLUTELY HAD to be mine. I test drove the V6 once more just to be sure and was like "nope nope nope". lol

·
Premium Member
1,534 Posts
I had a 2.0 e-torque as a rental for 2 weeks. I put over 1k mies on it and wheeled it too. Very spirited little engine that did well on and off-road. My only concern would be long-term durability of the engine/turbo and the whole e-torque system. I would have to have some sort of extended full warranty on it.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I opted for the v6 because it has been proven to be quicker than the 2.0 when paired with the 8 speed. After a lot of research, there was no way that I was going to buy a direct injected motor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
30 Posts
I decided to go with the I4 Turbo for my Wrangler. It has a little more torque, and a little less HP than the V6, so performance wise they aren't much different. The big thing for me was I've had two vehicles with the Pentastar V6, and both gave me troubles. Just had to drop close to $4k earlier this year troubleshooting, and subsequently getting a cylinder rebuilt. Entirely anecdotal, but it gave me the information I needed to make my choice.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The Jeep website says that Premium fuel is recommended with the 2.0 Turbo. That does give me a bit of pause, when considering the turbo engine.

·
Registered
55 Posts
The Jeep website says that Premium fuel is recommended with the 2.0 Turbo. That does give me a bit of pause, when considering the turbo engine.
That's right. It's recommended but not required. The manual states that 87 is the minimum requirements for the 2L Engine, but 91 is suggested for optimum performance.

So I did the math. At current prices it's going to cost me less than $8 CAD per tank more for premium fuel, and will not only protect my engine but will also give me better milage. That is a SMALL price to pay, if you ask me.

I can't figure out how to upload an image from my hard drive, so I'll copy and paste:

2.0L Engine
This engine is designed to meet all emission requirements, and provide satisfactory fuel economy and performance, when using high-quality unleaded “regular” gasoline having an octane rating of 87, as specified by the (R+M)/2 method. The use of 91 or higher octane “premium” gasoline will allow these engines to operate to optimal performance. This increase in performance is most noticeable in hot weather or other heavier load conditions, such as while towing.
While operating on gasoline with the required octane number, hearing a light knocking sound from the engine is not a cause for concern. However, if the engine is heard making a heavy knocking sound, see your dealer immedi- ately. Use of gasoline with a lower than recommended octane number can cause engine failure and may void or not be covered by the New Vehicle Limited Warranty.
Poor quality gasoline can cause problems such as hard starting, stalling, and hesitations. If you experience these symptoms, try another brand of gasoline before considering service for the vehicle.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Go test drive the I-4 and the V6... Your $$ get what you want.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have the i-4 in a two door '19 Rubicon with the 2.0 Turbo / eTorque. I've been very happy with it. I also have a '19 Cherokee with the 6, I've been very happy with that one too. The start/stop on the 2.0 is a lot better - that eTorque really smooths it out.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I have about 4K miles on my 2.0 I am extremely happy with this motor it performs well and also averages 24mpg with average mixed driving. I had the V6 in my 15' JK which on its best day got 17mpg. Plenty of off the line torque. When I test drove a jeep at the dealer I assumed I was driving the V-6 and I commented to the salesman how impressed I was the off the line performance of the new and improved V-6 that's when he told me I was driving the 2.0 and was sold on the spot.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I have about 4K miles on my 2.0 I am extremely happy with this motor it performs well and also averages 24mpg with average mixed driving. I had the V6 in my 15' JK which on its best day got 17mpg. Plenty of off the line torque. When I test drove a jeep at the dealer I assumed I was driving the V-6 and I commented to the salesman how impressed I was the off the line performance of the new and improved V-6 that's when he told me I was driving the 2.0 and was sold on the spot.

I am guessing it is more the transmission than the motor. My 3.6 with the 8 speed is 100% better than my 3.6 with the 5 speed. And the mileage is also much improved

·
Premium Member
2,627 Posts
Before choosing my 2020 JLUR with V6 I drove many rental cars with both engines. I took a 2.0 on a trip down to Goblin Valley. You certainly get terrific MPG. I got almost 30 MPG on that trip. The 2.0 jumps off the line quicker than the V6. To me it felt too jumpy. Many others would prefer the 2.0. This is something that your really need to drive both for more than just a long test drive to get the feel of both. I am very happy with my V6.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
We're up to what, 87 of these same threads now? Lol.

You've got some good advice in this one, make sure you think about long term. 2.0L has a lot of crap on it that the tried-and-true 3.6L doesn't. Coolant lines under the vehicle, dual coolant systems, turbo, DI, 48V electrical system, etc. Not to mention the more frequent tune-up intervals, more expensive fuel, etc. And the torque curve is very peaky, whereas the 3.6L is as flat as a Kansas highway and drives smoother.

·
Registered
997 Posts
So many state tried and true with the v6.... and to think my girlfriends caravan just had $1600 if engine work done to its 3.6l V6 at just over 60k miles.

Some no matter what will prefer a v6 over the 2.0t, I am just happy we finally have 3 engine options!

Hopefully in a few more years they will finally ditch the v6 and bring a I6 turbo to the table.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
So many state tried and true with the v6.... and to think my girlfriends caravan just had $1600 if engine work done to its 3.6l V6 at just over 60k miles.

Some no matter what will prefer a v6 over the 2.0t, I am just happy we finally have 3 engine options!

Hopefully in a few more years they will finally ditch the v6 and bring a I6 turbo to the table.
Right, but your girlfriend's Caravan is one 3.6L out of 10 million. That hardly signifies an issue.

Like I've mentioned before, go to any Ford, Subaru, Nissan, MINI, etc. dealership and ask a seasoned mechanic which engines they see in the shop on a daily basis. Spoiler: It's the tiny turbo motors.

I just had an epiphany. Maybe THAT is why automakers are force-feeding us these POS little turbo engines. It's guaranteed money for them! :facepalm:

·
Super Moderator
9,291 Posts
Right, but your girlfriend's Caravan is one 3.6L out of 10 million. That hardly signifies an issue.

Like I've mentioned before, go to any Ford, Subaru, Nissan, MINI, etc. dealership and ask a seasoned mechanic which engines they see in the shop on a daily basis. Spoiler: It's the tiny turbo motors.

I just had an epiphany. Maybe THAT is why automakers are force-feeding us these POS little turbo engines. It's guaranteed money for them! :facepalm:
I have one of them tiny turbos in my Fiat 124 Spider: a little 1.4T cranking out 170HP on a car that weighs barely half a JL. It is fun as hell: it roars like a lion and thinks it is a HEMI! And it gets 35 MPG. But it already went through two water pumps in the first 4,000 miles.

I don’t need another vehicle full of drama. In fact, I need my Jeep to behave like the mature one in my garage. Especially when it comes to the drivetrain. That’s why it’s got the V6.

Got turbo?

The sensible one

1 - 20 of 167 Posts