Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be using this thread to document my custom relay/fuse box for my accessories. I've seen many people make them for their Wranglers so it has inspired me to do a write-up. I've never done this before so it's a learning process, although I do have quite a bit of electronics knowledge from prior hobbies.

So far I have purchased some components but still need to get a few connectors and switches and build a container. I drew up a schematic of the plans, which I hope can help others understand the wiring.

Cheers!

Attachments

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I'm glad this project is catching on! I have gathered some more supplies.

I wish I can edit the my first post so that all of the information is in the one place. But looks like I'll just have to post as I go and it shouldn't be too hard to track on this thread.

As I mentioned, this is my first time building a relay/fuse box so there was a bit of a learning curve. I wanted to post my found resources on top of the progress photos just in case it could help anyone new to electrical work, but wanting to build their own.

NOTE: I would suggest you do additional research to fill in any gaps that I might not cover here. But feel free to ask me any questions and I'll do my best to answer them.

Some basics:

How an automotive relay works

Determining fuse size

Determining wire gauge

My build:
Planning and more planning is key to a successful relay box. I purchased components that are rated at 30-40amps, so I will only add accessories within that capacity. I plan to install horns, lights, fans, etc. Not larger things like winches or air compressors, etc. since they'll need their own heavier duty relays, wires, and connectors.

As far as laying the components out, I want to tuck everything into a small enclosure that can be mounted under the hood and sit on top of the battery. I found a waterproof camping box yesterday but I have not decided if I wanted to go with it. I may just fabricate my own enclosure.

Attachments

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'm glad this project is catching on! I have gathered some more supplies.

I wish I can edit the my first post so that all of the information is in the one place. But looks like I'll just have to post as I go and it shouldn't be too hard to track on this thread.

As I mentioned, this is my first time building a relay/fuse box so there was a bit of a learning curve. I wanted to post my found resources on top of the progress photos just in case it could help anyone new to electrical work, but wanting to build their own.

NOTE: I would suggest you do additional research to fill in any gaps that I might not cover here. But feel free to ask me any questions and I'll do my best to answer them.

Some basics:

How an automotive relay works

Determining fuse size

Determining wire gauge

My build:
Planning and more planning is key to a successful relay box. I purchased components that are rated at 30-40amps, so I will only add accessories within that capacity. I plan to install horns, lights, fans, etc. Not larger things like winches or air compressors, etc. since they'll need their own heavier duty relays, wires, and connectors.

As far as laying the components out, I want to tuck everything into a small enclosure that can be mounted under the hood and sit on top of the battery. I found a waterproof camping box yesterday but I have not decided if I wanted to go with it. I may just fabricate my own enclosure.
Look forward to the results. Mounting in engine bay?

·
Registered
84 Posts
found a waterproof camping box yesterday but I have not decided if I wanted to go with it. I may just fabricate my own enclosure.
I am seeing what you decide with the box. I was thinking it would be cool to mount a ammo box under the hood if it could remain waterproof

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Look forward to the results. Mounting in engine bay?
Yessir! I originally wanted to mount it inside the cabin maybe beneath the glove box, but that means I'll have to run high amperage wires inside the cabin for exterior accessories. That wouldn't make sense, so having it in the engine bay right next to the battery would be best in my opinion.

I am seeing what you decide with the box. I was thinking it would be cool to mount a ammo box under the hood if it could remain waterproof
I actually wanted to do the exact same! I have a .30 cal ammo can but it's too big to fit in the slot in between the battery and fender. I could possibly lay it horizontally on top of the battery but I don't think I'd like the lid to open sideways...

Although, I would have to say that I like the steel construction and would prefer that over a plastic case. I'm open to suggestions!

·
Registered
84 Posts
I actually wanted to do the exact same! I have a .30 cal ammo can but it's too big to fit in the slot in between the battery and fender. I could possibly lay it horizontally on top of the battery but I don't think I'd like the lid to open sideways...

Although, I would have to say that I like the steel construction and would prefer that over a plastic case. I'm open to suggestions!
I am going keep looking. Do you the dimensions in the engine bay? I found a medical box but its plastic.

General Purpose Empty Military Issue Medical Cases Plastic - Ammo Cans & Containers

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am going keep looking. Do you the dimensions in the engine bay? I found a medical box but its plastic.

General Purpose Empty Military Issue Medical Cases Plastic - Ammo Cans & Containers
That looks pretty cool but it may be too large. I did a test fit with the clear box that I bought and it looks like it's a good fit, to sit on top of the battery. It measures 7.8" x 6.5" x 3.6", and gives a couple centimeters of clearance when the hood is shut.

BUT if you decide to place that box somewhere else in the engine bay it may work. I didn't really look on other spots so I don't have those measurements.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Yessir! I originally wanted to mount it inside the cabin maybe beneath the glove box, but that means I'll have to run high amperage wires inside the cabin for exterior accessories. That wouldn't make sense, so having it in the engine bay right next to the battery would be best in my opinion.

Digging the ammo can idea. Maybe source one to fit?

·
Registered
39 Posts
That looks pretty cool but it may be too large. I did a test fit with the clear box that I bought and it looks like it's a good fit, to sit on top of the battery. It measures 7.8" x 6.5" x 3.6", and gives a couple centimeters of clearance when the hood is shut.

BUT if you decide to place that box somewhere else in the engine bay it may work. I didn't really look on other spots so I don't have those measurements.
What about next to the battery? Cant some room be cleared for that?

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What about next to the battery? Cant some room be cleared for that?
I don't think so... at least not in the newer JKs. I think the pre-pentastar models have a different battery configuration allowing more space. I don't really want to start gutting everything out just yet so I think I'll proceed with the container I bought. I just ordered some more wires and connectors but I should be able to get started soon :happyyes:

Attachments

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Here's tonight's progress. I wanted to add a divider/shelf to be able to mount everything down inside the box instead of mounting some things to the lid. I got a piece of Lexan and started hacking away! Blow torched the edges and folded it into shape. Used a rotary tool to grind down and round out the corners so it fits inside the enclosure.

Attachments

·
Registered
288 Posts
accessory elec. box

You are going to hava a bunch of terminals in your box.ln the one l made for under the hood had just 8 terminals but l used a 2 gang waterproof outside box with screw in hole plugs, and a top with rubber gasket. I mounted the fuse holder with clear plastic top on the 2 gang box top. I used a rubber gromet where the wire enters and leaves the box.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts