Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have it narrowed down to two. I am going to get the sunset orange. It is down to the Sport or Willys edition. I have been out of a Jeep for a year and started missing it less that a year. Is the Willys Edition worth it?

·
Modern Day Warrior
1,053 Posts
Depends on what you want option wise. I got a Willys Wheeler W because of the 3.73 and trac lok mainly. Plus I liked the 32" tires with the black rubi wheels. Overall, it's a nice package.
Is it worth it? Absolutely

·
Registered
874 Posts
Get the Willys. When I bought our Sport in '13 I hunted all over the the specs for what is essentially the Willys. The Willys is a more than a decal package.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thats is the one I am leaning towards.

·
Registered
158 Posts
We got a 24k. That is a $4,000 option. The 3.73's, wheels and tires, LSD, Rubi shocks, slush mats, and tow strap kit are worth more than that. If that's the look you want, well worth it. Plus, the black against the sunset orange looks cool.
And the 4wheel drive decal on the back :censored: !

·
Registered
304 Posts
Just got the Orange Willys myself. I think the upgrades in the Willys over the Sport are well worth it if you every plan to leave asphalt. If you never do, might as well get the Sport.

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
Only thing that stopped me from a Tank willys was I wanted power locks and windows. They could not locate a willys with those options.
So I bought a sport and am adding the cosmetics. Already have done most of it... Wheels, grill comes Monday, decals come Tuesday.

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
I was obsessing for over a year getting a jku willys non powered package (24k) I think that package is a great deal. But to add power convinence package it's an extra $2,100.00 (24w) and in my case I was only $900 away from a base rubicon so it was a no brainer for me to go with the rubicon instead.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Just got the Orange Willys myself. I think the upgrades in the Willys over the Sport are well worth it if you every plan to leave asphalt. If you never do, might as well get the Sport.
Good God, really?

It's an appropriately optioned sport with MT tires....

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Good God, really?

It's an appropriately optioned sport with MT tires....
...and Rubi gloss black wheels, and Rubi shocks, and Rubi rock rails, and gloss black front grille with matte black Jeep badge, and gloss black bumper inserts, and matte black decals...and it's a more rarely seen value priced special edition:beerdrinking:

·
Registered
275 Posts
I was obsessing for over a year getting a jku willys non powered package (24k) I think that package is a great deal. But to add power convinence package it's an extra $2,100.00 (24w) and in my case I was only $900 away from a base rubicon so it was a no brainer for me to go with the rubicon instead.
I went through this recently. I planned my build for about 9 months. The Willy's was the winner for a majority of the time. Then I started shuffling around options and I found I was getting close to the price of a Rubicon. So I went with the Rubicon. I used TrueCar to compare prices of different builds. Some options on the Willy's are standard on the Rubicon.

Either way, Wranglers are awesome! Tons of after market equipment or people selling their take-offs. Take your time, hang out in this forum and enjoy this planning phase.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
I went through this recently. I planned my build for about 9 months. The Willy's was the winner for a majority of the time. Then I started shuffling around options and I found I was getting close to the price of a Rubicon. So I went with the Rubicon. I used TrueCar to compare prices of different builds. Some options on the Willy's are standard on the Rubicon.

Either way, Wranglers are awesome! Tons of after market equipment or people selling their take-offs. Take your time, hang out in this forum and enjoy this planning phase.
...Were you comparing prices with a Willy's or WILLYS
:):beerdrinking:

·
Registered
4,362 Posts
Good God, really? It's an appropriately optioned sport with MT tires....
Actually the Willys is a darn good deal in the Wrangler world. But you're an Internet tough guy sitting behind a keyboard. Why give the op or anyone else here a hard time about an option that someone picked? Be less of a tool.

·
Registered
352 Posts
My Willys was approaching the price of a Rubicon, but that was with every possible option I wanted (aside from lockers, d44 front, and e disco). If I would have got the Rubi, I would have to sacrifice those creature comforts for a base model rubi. Although I dont intend for my Jeep to be a mall crawler, per se, it will be a DD for me and spend majority of the time on the pavement.
Even when I go off road, I dont plan to do rock crawling so the 4:1 ratio didn't entice me as much as it may others. The e-discos are nice, but it's stupidly easy to just manually disconnect yourself. Lockers are amazing, but if I get in a situation that I absolutely have to use lockers and trac lock won't suffice, then I'll resort to winching or avoid that obstacle. I'd say the folks with lockers doing the east coast off roading (not rock crawling in moab) probably dont use the lockers as much as some might think. And lastly, yes, it would be nice to have a d44 on the front. But in reality those stock d44's aren't necessarily the "hulk hogan" of axles. <---how's that for a throwback?!

By no means am I taking away from a rubi. Honestly if I didn't have a little one on the way, I would have opted for a base rubi. But alas, I'll enjoy my pavement princess 95% of the time, built with every niche and add-on that I want, and for that extra 5% of the time, I think she'll be more than capable to do any off-oading that I'm able to throw at her...granted I'm pretty novice at off-roading.

It all comes down to what you want, and what you can comfortable afford. You won't regret either of those.

EDIT: So I just read the OP. You're not even asking about the Rubi. My bad. Forget my whole schpeel above!

...Go with Willys.

·
Registered
4,362 Posts
My Willys was approaching the price of a Rubicon, but that was with every possible option I wanted (aside from lockers, d44 front, and e disco). If I would have got the Rubi, I would have to sacrifice those creature comforts for a base model rubi. Although I dont intend for my Jeep to be a mall crawler, per se, it will be a DD for me and spend majority of the time on the pavement. Even when I go off road, I dont plan to do rock crawling so the 4:1 ratio didn't entice me as much as it may others. The e-discos are nice, but it's stupidly easy to just manually disconnect yourself. Lockers are amazing, but if I get in a situation that I absolutely have to use lockers and trac lock won't suffice, then I'll resort to winching or avoid that obstacle. I'd say the folks with lockers doing the east coast off roading (not rock crawling in moab) probably dont use the lockers as much as some might think. And lastly, yes, it would be nice to have a d44 on the front. But in reality those stock d44's aren't necessarily the "hulk hogan" of axles. <---how's that for a throwback?! By no means am I taking away from a rubi. Honestly if I didn't have a little one on the way, I would have opted for a base rubi. But alas, I'll enjoy my pavement princess 95% of the time, built with every niche and add-on that I want, and for that extra 5% of the time, I think she'll be more than capable to do any off-oading that I'm able to throw at her...granted I'm pretty novice at off-roading. It all comes down to what you want, and what you can comfortable afford. You won't regret either of those. EDIT: So I just read the OP. You're not even asking about the Rubi. My bad. Forget my whole schpeel above! ...Go with Willys.

This argument comes up all the time on here. People always want to compare everything to the Rubicon no matter what someone's needs are. The Rubicon is the best out of the box off-road package Jeep makes - assuming you need everything on the Rubicon.

Every model Wrangler is capable the second you drive it off the lot. I've gone off-roading with stock Sahara's with street tires and they've done just fine. I had a 2014 Willys which I loved, and at the time was actually a few hundred less than a Sport S (I didn't have power). I wheeled it and loved it. When I had the chance to replace my 2014 - I took the opportunity to get a Rubicon and I'm happy with it. The lockers are very nice to have and I actually like the way the 4.10 and 4:1 transfer case drive, more so than the 3.73 in the Willys, but that's me.

Here's a pic of me off-roading with the Willys. Did just fine and you'll enjoy any Wrangler no matter which model you get!

image-3513530916.jpg

1 - 20 of 32 Posts