Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I took the tcase skid plate off to change the tranny fluid as well as try and clean some of the rust off. After wheelin last weekend I noticed that when I let off the gas around 45-55mph there was a harder vibration then the normal engine braking. I am not sure if I have a SYE, but from searching around I assume I do not. I have a 95 4.0L with a 4' lift. Should I have a SYE? I just think that the vibration is occuring as the rear diff pitches forward and the angle of the driveshaft is off...on the right track? Also, I didn't measure when I took the tcase skid off and assumed that when I remounted, it would return to the previous angle. Any thoughts on some tests I can do to figure out the issue. Other than the vibration the rig drives normal.

·
Drives by Braille
13,642 Posts
With 4" of lift, an SYE is probably a really good idea. You can also install a motor mount lift to help angle everything down to help out. They also make shims that go under the leaf springs to help point the pinion up too.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Are you saying that I should do one of the three, or all of them? I have been looking at the SYE/CV...seems pricey and looks like its gonna cost about $600 in total. I feel like the vibration just started...weird. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I was looking at the 4" rough county and they said with the tcase lowering parts that i would not need to do anything else and no vibration,is this not true???

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I can rotate the rear drivshaft with my hand a bit while the jeep is just sitting. Is that normal? The u joints look like they are in good shape. Kind of hard to tell from my original pick but there isn't any rust and look good. The vibration scares me a bit but since i don't already have a SYE/CV and have 1" hockey pucks to boot, i didn't have a ny problems before. I did get a puncture and put a brand new tire on, so there is one brand new one with 3 eight month old ones, so maybe the tread difference is causing it. Paranoia is setting in....

·
Registered
71 Posts
Check the motor mounts to the block and tranny mounts. If it vibrates when you let off of the gas, it seems doubtful to be the driveline, but possible. The driveline may move if your e brake isn't on. It shouldn't wiggle if that makes any sense. The driveline vibe is usually at steady speeds and it rolls through the entire vehicle. If it happens when you let off and brake it can be rotors or drums or bearings. Just a thought

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The vibe goes away if i am accelerating and only happens in gear when i left off the gas and let the engine slow the jeep down. so i would be in 4th gear going 50mph and let off the gas and the vibe sets in. doesn't vibe in any other gear (not any more than the normal feeling you get as the engine slows down)...maybe check the pinion angle? i am stumped

·
Registered
988 Posts
You said you have a t-case drop? That's odd. If it's only in 4th gear, could it be something to do with the tranny?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ya, got 1" hockey pucks...could be tranny i guess, but it accelerates just as it did before...just took a pic of the front u joint...there seems to be some oozing of something thick, maybe grease. You can kind of see where i wiped it off...def not the same on the rear one...any ideas?

·
Registered
988 Posts
While your under there trying to figure it out, regrease all your fittings. Not saying this will fix it but it's always good to keep after those grease fittings to keep the Jeep running smoothly as possible :)

If it still accelerates fine and everything, I doubt it's a tranny problem then. As said before, check the motor mounts and tranny mounts. I'm stumped :confused:

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Will do on the mounts, thanks much...went wheelin the other weekend and it started on the way back...grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

·
Registered
80 Posts
Do you by chance have an exhaust leak starting to develop?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I did have a crack where the 2 pipes go into one (don't know the technical terms) as i could feel air coming out, but we welded that the best we could.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts