Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Premium Member
8,323 Posts
It's got spacer/adapters. Unfortunately the wheel won't fit the stock spare tire mount. If you really want a matching wheel as a spare you will have to get an aftermarket spare mount with the 5 on 5 pattern.

·
Retired Moderator
100,448 Posts
:welcome: to the Forum..:wavey:

·
Premium Member
8,323 Posts
The issue then is that the tire will not hit the bumpers and at each bump in the road it will vibrate.

·
Registered
366 Posts
The issue then is that the tire will not hit the bumpers and at each bump in the road it will vibrate.
My LJ came with adaptors and JK wheels.

I never noticed any vibration issues with them.

That said one of the first mods was getting correct wheels and removing the spacers.

·
Premium Member
8,323 Posts
I am speaking about the suggestion of putting an adapter on the spare tire mount to enable the use of a matching spare tire/wheel. I ran into the issue when going to after market wheels, but still using the same TJ lug pattern. I bought a matching 5th wheel so I could use the spare in a 5 tire rotation, plus I like the look of the wheels.

As always when changing things, there comes an unexpected consequence. The new wheels have less backspace, which I fully understood. That made very little consequence on the 4 mounted to the hubs and on the ground. But, I kept hearing a clunk, clunk coming from the back when I hit certain bumps. Which was strange when the back of the Jeep was empty. I then noticed a small gap between the sidewall of the spare tire (inside surface) and the bump stops (5 in all) on the back of the Jeep.

I'm only dealing with 1/2"- 3/4" while OP is dealing with about 1 1/2" effective change in backspace.

I really don't want to have to go to a new bumper and spare tire mount, so I'm hoping the slightly extended bump stops I have ordered will to the trick.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts