Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was washing my 2012 4dr. yesterday and noticed rust UNDERNEATH my clear coat EVERYWHERE! I had seen some paint bubbling on my rear driver's side hinge but I'm at 31,000 miles and had intended on taking it in before the 36k warranty was up. I believe the paint is protected until 60k miles or maybe even 100k/5years I'm not sure. Any help anybody has on what to do, what to accept/not accept. I'm furious, I have a couple grand in upgrades nothing too serious. Should I make them repaint it or what, I am completely lost on this. Thank you in advance.
:beerme:

·
Registered
253 Posts
We don't get snow down south so we don't have the salt/ rust issues. How long does it usually take for rust to start showing up in a new vehicle? I would have thought longer than a couple of years.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Souds to me like BAD Paint Job if I was still inside my warranty period I would take it back run do not walk do not crawl I would settle for nothing less than a new Paint Job I would think that should be covered but I would not wait .

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, it's still under warranty, there is a 5 year 100k mile warranty in place for our paint jobs. But even still, it's rust. It will be back in 3 years.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Op that sucks to have that, let us know how it works out. I am curious as to what the warranty will do. Just curious what color is you JK?

We don't get snow down south so we don't have the salt/ rust issues. How long does it usually take for rust to start showing up in a new vehicle? I would have thought longer than a couple of years.
Not even a year, I to am from down south Alabama in fact and got stationed here in Ma. It is sickining can't have anything nice. I just got done coating my undercarriage with rush converter today. But this is after one year, I bought my Jeep when I was in Va. Had I stayed there I know I would have zero rust.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's a 2012 White JKU Sport. I've got a 2.5 Teraflex Coil lift, 33X12.5 15in Level 8 tracker rims. I love it, just bought the cheaper Smitty tube front bumper and side steps for it but if its going to be a rust bucket in 6 months.......So bummed out right now. Sucks about your undercarriage, I know mine's not that bad and I am in Michigan.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
"rail dust" Google that term. It may answer your questions.

I don't think that's what it is Ruby. It's like it's rusting from the inside out, and I live 30 miles away from the Jeep plant.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts