Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I recently purchased a 99 TJ and just the other day got a chance to put it on a hoist and really take a look underneath and change out all my driveline fluids. I was very pleased with everything except i noticed grease leaking from the drivers cv boot!! I didnt think wranglers had cv's so....it has been swapped with a cherokee??? Need some advisement....

·
Registered
227 Posts
Ya, that ain't right! Looks like ZJ CV shafts with ABS (?).

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I havent had the time to really check but seeing that its probably just a d30 could i just pull the shafts and put the correct u-joint shafts in?

·
Registered
227 Posts
impatient and double posted...

·
Registered
227 Posts
I havent had the time to really check but seeing that its probably just a d30 could i just pull the shafts and put the correct u-joint shafts in?
In theory, yes.... I believe the shafts interchange, but I am not up on the idiosyncrasies of the D30s over the years. Beside the vac-disconnect, and small u-joint years, I don't know what else you might have to consider.

Another thing that popped into my head.... what is the gear ratio of that front end you have?? Match the rear?? That could be trouble if you don't catch it before using 4WD.

I wonder if that is the original housing with CV shafts, or all of it was swapped out for some reason? If on purpose why? You don't have a full-time capable t-case in that do you???

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
In theory, yes.... I believe the shafts interchange, but I am not up on the idiosyncrasies of the D30s over the years. Beside the vac-disconnect, and small u-joint years, I don't know what else you might have to consider.

Another thing that popped into my head.... what is the gear ratio of that front end you have?? Match the rear?? That could be trouble if you don't catch it before using 4WD.

I wonder if that is the original housing with CV shafts, or all of it was swapped out for some reason? If on purpose why? You don't have a part-time case in that do you???
Dont have a clue what gears are in either diffs...just purchased it about 4 months ago so dont know anything about it. I have used the 4wd numerous times and no problems. I also thought the same thing, maybe the PO swapped in cv joints to cut down on replacing u-joints? Yes it is a part-time t-case

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
If it's lifted enough for the top of the diff to clear, i have seen some people swap in an XJ high pinion D30. Does your front shaft meet the top or bottom of your diff? Were any years of XJ CV front ends?

·
Premium Member
1,893 Posts
If you used the 4wd without it completely tearing out your gears hopefully your ok,but you better check it out anyway. All you need to do now is find some proper Jeep TJ inner and out axle shafts, install new Ujoints and gently just slide em in (there are oil seals you cannot see inside the diff housing). You might as well do the hub units as well seeing how it will be completely apart at the wheel end anyway and yours look like they've been in there forever and might get destroyed while trying to get them out to do the shafts.

·
Premium Member
1,893 Posts
If it's lifted enough for the top of the diff to clear, i have seen some people swap in an XJ high pinion D30. Does your front shaft meet the top or bottom of your diff? Were any years of XJ CV front ends?
As far as I know only the ZJ came with CV's. It was never meant to be anything but a "luxury" SUV grocery getter.

·
Registered
227 Posts
As far as I know only the ZJ came with CV's. It was never meant to be anything but a "luxury" SUV grocery getter.
Right. I am unaware in all my XJ experience of a cherokee with CVs. The Grand did though. Not sure on the Grands use of LP vs. HP D30s. That is a viable reason for this to possibly have happened, as mentioned is it HP??

Sounds like you are ok on the gearing, I don't think there are any factory ratios that are close enough where you would not be able to tell (ex. 4.08 and 4.10), but I would do the old spin the tire and count the driveshaft bit anyway.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well i looked at the diff cover and found the tag which read
52099198ac 3 07 610881-1

I searched the numbers and it comes up saying its a wrangler front axle!!
Now the only thing i can think is the PO put cv shafts in for some reason or another. Im not really worried about it i just think its weird.

·
Registered
8,952 Posts
whoever you purchased the jeep from was very cheap. when the u-joint went bad, and they went to the junkyard and pulled a CV joint axle shaft out of a ZJ.

getting an axle shaft from the junkyard to remedy a bad u-joint isn't a bad thing, the PO was just too dumb and got a CV shaft :rofl: . Go to a junkyard and get a new-to-you shaft with a good u-joint from an XJ without a disco housing.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
getting an axle shaft from the junkyard to remedy a bad u-joint isn't a bad thing, the PO was just too dumb and got a CV shaft :rofl: . Go to a junkyard and get a new-to-you shaft with a good u-joint from an XJ without a disco housing.
Thanks man that will be my plan!! Thanks to all for the help as well!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts