Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alrighty, so I got stuck in some muddy water today and was able to get out under my own power eventually. But a decent amount of water got into the crankcase. The engine did not hydro-lock. Ran a quick trail before I noticed anything was amiss...

I drained the oil, added new oil, filter, and some Seafoam to help chase out any remaining moisture, but here's the deal:

My Jeep ('99 4.0L w/ AX-15) now sounds like a diesel. Bad. At idle in the driveway the oil pressure sits at about 15psi. At idle when driving the oil pressure will drop to zero and the check guage light comes on. Driving down the road to test it out and the oil pressure is a max of oh....about 15psi according to the guage. But for the short bit I have driven it, the engine feels like it's running perfectly smooth...just sounds like a diesel. Except there's no Duramax under the hood.

I'm thinking/hoping maybe just the oil pump is fuxored, but I suspect it's quite a bit more than that. Probably lifters and/or bearings. Oil pump I can do. Beyond that and it's going to a shop.

Ideas?

And no more deep water for this TJ. :doh:

·
Registered
14,065 Posts
We need pics. Was you girlfriend with you by chance????

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oil is clean. Not foamy, frothy, or like a milk shake but there is deffinately still some muddy water moving around through there. Looks about like another two oil changes would pull the rest of the water out.

·
Brewing, Skiing & Jeeps..
549 Posts
QUOTE=nick50471;862301]We need pics. Was you girlfriend with you by chance????[/QUOTE]

:rofl::rofl::rofl:[

·
Registered
892 Posts
Oil is clean. Not foamy, frothy, or like a milk shake but there is deffinately still some muddy water moving around through there. Looks about like another two oil changes would pull the rest of the water out.
how do you know? if oil isnt milky then there shouldnt be water in there?
your abnormal oil pressure could be due to a faulty gauge or sensor.
and you said it ran smoothly, but sound like a diesel? you need to be specific, is it making noise? what kind of noise?

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
how do you know? if oil isnt milky then there shouldnt be water in there?
your abnormal oil pressure could be due to a faulty gauge or sensor.
and you said it ran smoothly, but sound like a diesel? you need to be specific, is it making noise? what kind of noise?
The oil is clean, but it has dark muddy water mixed in with it. When I first drained it I ran a quart of oil through with the drain plug out. The oil stream was clean with a thin stream of dark muddy water inside of it. Still looks like that, but a whole lot better.

...and the engine sounds like a diesel, mostly under acceleration. Like a really bad lifter. The sound is loudest at the bottom of the engine like it's the crankshaft making the noise.

·
In a trailer in the woods
75,272 Posts
Have you tried making sure all your motor electrical connections ?

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Gonna look into that now. Especially pulling the wire from the sending unit over night to let it air out. I'm about to check the bolts between the exhaust manifold and downpipe to rule out the possiblilty of a really bad exhaust leak and look around for any cracks on the manifold.

·
Registered
892 Posts
The oil is clean, but it has dark muddy water mixed in with it. When I first drained it I ran a quart of oil through with the drain plug out. The oil stream was clean with a thin stream of dark muddy water inside of it. Still looks like that, but a whole lot better.

...and the engine sounds like a diesel, mostly under acceleration. Like a really bad lifter. The sound is loudest at the bottom of the engine like it's the crankshaft making the noise.
get a clear cup and collect some oil and let it sit see if it separates. I think its just old oil mixed with new oil.

·
Registered
3 Posts
You need to pull off the oil pan and drop a few mains and rods bearing caps and check to see to see if there is any damage, water is never good in a oil system it will strip and damage moving parts. I would say you motor is damaged if you drove it xx miles after getting water in it and will need to be pulled, no oil pressure is bad news and when ever a oil light is on stop the motor fast as each min it runs could cost you extra $$$$ in the repair cost. Just a ideal next time you go off road take a extra filter and oil supply and change it after you think you got water in the motor.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah... it's deffinately coming from down low on the engine. Having browsed around the web I'm going to toss out a guess: rod bearing(s)

I guess I'll find out the damages (lol, a pun!) on Monday. Well....there goes that nest-egg I have left over from the Army.

On the plus side, I have had my eye on one of those ATK re-mans for a while. For...if....my engine... ever took a shit. :( Might just be cheaper to have one dropped in. We shall see.

·
Banned
139 Posts
I've seen this before; you likely spun a bearing. Time to head to a professional to drop and mic everything out before proceeding. Trailer it over to the shop - don't drive it. If that's it, a few hundred will make it right again.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Put in neutral and crank it up, hold the accelerator to the floor and let the rev limiter take over. You will know where your problem is within a few minutes!

You have rod/ main bearing damage and most probably crankshaft damage- at the least. A reman motor is probably the cheapest way to go, and no time like the present to go to a stroker, or build one.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Might get off easy...

I pulled into the yard this morning to wash the mud off before the tow to the shop tomorrow and the knock is a whole lot quieter--deffinately still there, though. Oil pressure reading was nice and good on the guage.

Engine doesn't sound like a Duramax anymore. Just sounds like a lifter starting to go bad.

·
Jeeper
11,419 Posts
I can't help with your problem, but I was wondering why we didn't run across you yesterday.... I guess that explains it. Where did you find enough water at Interlake to suck any up?

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
At this point change the oil again - and the filter.
Dive 100 miles, then oil and filter again.

It'll probably be OK.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts