Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
and the steering won't turn as far left as compared to the right. I measured the distance between the front of the front tire to the leaf springs, with the steering turned to all the way to the stop. Drivers side measures 3" and the passenger side measures 5". The steering wheel will turn 1 and 1/4 turns to the drivers side and 1 and 3/4 turn to the passenger side.
When I did the swap, everything lined up fairly close.

How do I fix this?

·
Registered
4,757 Posts
Is it something as simple as the steering stop is adjusted further out on the driver's side than the passenger side? Is the knuckle actually hitting the steering stop on both sides?

·
Registered
303 Posts
hmm..
Turn steering wheel 1/2 revolution to passenger side.
Get steering wheel puller, and reseat steering wheel centered.
Adjust the drag link tube adjust to center the wheels.

This should give you 4" left and 4" right with 1 & 1/2 turns left and right of steering wheel.

That's a hella lot work though . . . .

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is it something as simple as the steering stop is adjusted further out on the driver's side than the passenger side? Is the knuckle actually hitting the steering stop on both sides?
The bump stop bolt doesn't hit the knuckle when turned all the way left.

hmm..
Turn steering wheel 1/2 revolution to passenger side.
Get steering wheel puller, and reseat steering wheel centered.
Adjust the drag link tube adjust to center the wheels.

This should give you 4" left and 4" right with 1 & 1/2 turns left and right of steering wheel.

That's a hella lot work though . . . .
That's the only other thing I thought about.
Question for ya, shouldn't I only turn the steering wheel a 1/4 turn, cause it's only a 1/2 turn difference now?

Thanks fellas.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Did you center the steering box before you put the pitman arm back on?
No, the napa guy said it should be centered, plus, I didn't know how to center the box.

I used hoffmans suggestion, kinda. I just kept adjusting the drag link til the steering wheel would turn 1 1/2 turns in both directions from center.

Just took it for a drive and seems Ok. Just need to take the steering wheel off and see if I can re-center it.

Thanks fellas.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
I think there's one specific way that you have to put the steering wheel on. There's like a nub there so it only goes on in one place.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think there's one specific way that you have to put the steering wheel on. There's like a nub there so it only goes on in one place.
Yes, I agree with you. Most everything will only fit on one specific way. The lower steering shaft, the pitman arm, these things only go on one way.

Since I adjusted the drag link and repositioned the steering wheel hub, the canceler for the blinkers are out of adjustment. I guess I just don't get it.
I think adjusting the drag link to get the steering to turn equally in both directions is not the way to fix my problem.

Should I try to center the steering box?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts