Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 286 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, my wife and I are mid-50's.

We have both talked about getting a Jeep Wrangler for years, but the practicality of kids, life, etc always had us spending our hard-earned money on, well... practical things.

So, now that we have more discretionary money as 'old farts'..... we took the dive and purchased a Jeep Wrangler for a 'third car'..... to take out for the occasional ride.

We thought it would be a great 'bee-bopping' vehicle up in Northern Michigan, and perhaps we'd do a little 'mild' trail riding once in a while.

We love the uniqueness of this vehicle.

So - to the point of the Thread Title:

We drove up to a 'relative's' place (disguised to protect the guilty) and showed him our vehicle. The 'guy' got an amused sort of WTF look on his face and it was apparent to me, at least, that he was trying to suppress laughter that was welling up inside him. Like when you get the laughing jag on in church but know you can't let it out.

The reaction made it apparent to me that he thought we made a crazy-ass purchase for our age... almost like we went out and bought an AMC Gremlin or something.

Then... when on the phone the other day with him, he made an outright comment that was very ridiculing in nature about our Wrangler and then laughed uncontrollably at his own 'joke'.... I just remained quiet and there was an uncomfortable silence and I could tell he knew he 'stepped in it' when I didn't laugh with him or reply back. I just changed the subject and moved on....

So... we can't be the only empty nesters that decided to do something impracticable - but fun for ourselves, right???

I mean, I see old gray haired guys driving convertible corvettes all the time....

We thought: Let's get something that we can have fun 'year round' in both snow and sun rather than buy a (Dodge Challenger Scat Pac) which was my other thought.... a car that we would want to store all winter.

I got some more , 'What, are you crazy' kind of reaction from a few other relatives as well. Starting to piss me off. My one brother, whom I love dearly, is quite outspoken and called me on the phone. "I heard you got a Wrangler", he says. "Why did you get one of those?! They have a horrible reliability record.... blah, blah, blah...." And then he ends the conversation trying to regroup from his negative rant by saying, "Well good for you guys - you'll have a lot of fun with that - you should take it to the dunes."

There is so much negativity around that this was precisely why I DIDN'T drive around showing many people or announcing it. People love to bring storm clouds to your fun.

'F' iit.

·
Registered
5,020 Posts
Never had that reaction. My wife and I are almost 50. There are a lot of older people driving Jeeps. They might lift them or pull the doors etc. But I don't see any issues with owning a Jeep Wrangler.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I roll in mine daily and flash my AARP card for discounts wherever I take it.

You're only as old as you feel. Let them have their Camry & Mantovani on NPR. I'll take a long neck and Wrangler any day . . .
LOL... you nailed it exactly! hahahaha..... the snobbery of 'example' 1 in my story is right on target, I think.

·
Registered
443 Posts
I didn't know it was for young people only. I see people of all ages driving wranglers to be honest. Having the 4 Door JKU opens it up to more middle aged people with kids so most of the people I see in two doors are either younger pre kids or older empty nesters

·
GO STEELERS !
2,165 Posts
In the California section when we do meet ups most of the people are 40's 50's or above. I enjoy the fact that we don't have a bunch of idiot 20 somethings doing stupid things on the trail and then relying on everyone else to get them out of trouble. It's an expensive hobby and I think that filters out the younger crowd a little.

·
Registered
5,152 Posts
No vehicle has more of a stigma about it more than the Mazda Miata....having said that, I've owned two of them and I'm as straight as an arrow....

Drive what you like, age/sex/creed/orientation don't matter. If anyone tells you otherwise, they are ignorant and not worth your time IMHO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
Those people are either envious or clueless, or both.
I bought mine at 41 years old. Sure, I regret not buying one earlier in life but I also don't see myself driving any other vehicle later on in life.

I would think it's the perfect vehicle for northern Michigan.

I'd say the hell with them... oh yeah, silver lake sand dunes is well worth it!

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
I'm 63. Fock 'em all, I say! I've never purchased a practical car in my life...well...ok...a Honda civic in 1978 when I was a sailor and broke...but that's it, I swear!

I love this thing. It makes me feel like I'm going on an adventure every time I get in it.

·
Registered
379 Posts
People love to bring storm clouds to your fun.
Sounds like this more than anything else. See also: Lobster Syndrome. They can't stand to see anyone else enjoying success and having fun while they are stuck in their ruts. It's easier to bring someone down about their fun Wrangler than it is to do something about the boring, soulless appliances that they are stuck driving. They would likely be saying the same things about the Challenger.

·
Registered
475 Posts
They're only for the young at heart.

My wife and I are also mid-50's empty nesters, in good shape physically, young mentally... and we are LOVING it! The Wrangler adds to the fun in everything we do. Hell, we bought it in March of '16 and have almost 26K on the odo already. We take it EVERYWHERE we go, and her '13 Daytona Charger sits in the driveway. It only gets driven for her to go to work 8 miles away or the grocery store. I'll probably pass her in miles next year with all of the driving we do in it.

Personally I could not care less what others think. It's our lives and our money. We do with them as we see fit.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The reaction from the guy in my first encounter was like we went out and bought 'Hoola-Hoops' and told him we joined a Hoola Hoop club and planned on traveling across the country showing our skills in shopping Malls.

The demeaning reaction made me feel a little humiliated. I haven't had that feeling since I was a kid and my dad caught me and my best friend shooting arrows straight up in the air and dodging them as they came zipping back to earth.... hahahaha.

·
Premium Member
761 Posts
Well, I guess I'm young (at 40) comparatively, but I think everyone that doesn't own a jeep or has driven around in one on a sunny day with the top and doors off have no room to talk and I laugh at them...just not out loud, because I won't stoop to their level. :p

When I WAS young(er) I thought wranglers were dumb. Bad economy, rough rides, easy to roll, etc, etc. But I was poor and needed good economy and somewhat comfortable rides to drive longer distances in. Now that I'm older and more financially stable, Eff that crap. They might be all those things (well not that easy to roll), but they sure are fun and I can afford the gas now and a second more comfortable car for long rides. BTW, my 2nd more comfortable ride is another Wrangler (JKU) versus my TJ, which was my first Jeep.

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
What parts of Michigan is your family from? City, burbs or country? What kind of activities are they into?

I'm 47, with a large portion of my family living in the Traverse City, as well as SE Metro areas. We had a family reunion last summer in Cadillac. Everyone in my entire family commented how they loved my Jeep, and wanted to go for a ride in it and do some offroad exploring around the campgrounds we were at. Most of my family are hunting/fishing type of people and get the whole 4WD offroad adventure aspects of it.

I would ask yourself what type of activities is that part of your family into. They kind of sound like they may not be native Michiganders or haven't taken advantage of the great benefits of the area they live in, which is one of, if not the best state for hunting, fishing and other outdoor nature activities.

Just tell me, they've never picked up a hunting rifle or cast a fishing pole and that would explain a lot to me.

1 - 20 of 286 Posts