Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my jeep was running fine I pulled into Lowes and came out and it didnt start no clicking so popped the hood and smelled a rotten egg smell (the battery) and so I tried starting it again and my guages started freaking out heres a video What the heck? - YouTube so I got a jump and after a few minutes it cranked up I was watching my volts on the dash fluctuate from 13 to 15. So then my speakers kept making this pop noise and they would go out then come back on and the dash lights faded a bit then went bright again any help would be awesome I hope its just a fried battery

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
its an 04 Tj with 125,000 miles replaced the battery about two years ago

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
I'm not sure what's wrong but subscribing for the fix!

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
I concur on the Voltage Regulator, which is internal to the alternator. Pull it and see if an Auto store will test it for you.

Also, (with engine NOT running) see if you can rotate the fan on the front of the alternator. if so... the belt is not tight enuff or glazed.

Also...... check to see if your battery cables or cables to alternator MIGHT be next to an exhaust component...seen this cause serious issues similar to yours.....

·
Registered
347 Posts
This is what happens when the computer gets stuck in a reset cycle. The computer attempts to start up, but due to a bad ground the voltage drops below acceptable levels causing the computer to reset. Of course, during that brief period the computer turns off the voltage goes back up causing this freaky reset cycle.

So, it is either a bad battery or you need to attack the terminals with a wire brush. Make sure to tighten the terminals up enough that you can not wiggle them off by hand.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This is what happens when the computer gets stuck in a reset cycle. The computer attempts to start up, but due to a bad ground the voltage drops below acceptable levels causing the computer to reset. Of course, during that brief period the computer turns off the voltage goes back up causing this freaky reset cycle.

So, it is either a bad battery or you need to attack the terminals with a wire brush. Make sure to tighten the terminals up enough that you can not wiggle them off by hand.
ya know my ground cable to my battery can be easily pulled off by hand even though the bolt/clamp are as tight as you can get them

·
Registered
347 Posts
ya know my ground cable to my battery can be easily pulled off by hand even though the bolt/clamp are as tight as you can get them
Cheap factory connectors! :D My trick with the old battery I had was to tighten it with the connector slightly tilted on the post. This allowed it to clamp securely. My new battery has a tapered post so I do not have to use that trick anymore.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
good tip I just pulled my battery and it was from july of 09 I would hope that my battery would last longer than that but it was a duralast...

·
Registered
347 Posts
good tip I just pulled my battery and it was from july of 09 I would hope that my battery would last longer than that but it was a duralast...
That might still be under warranty or possibly a prorated warranty.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
I think Alexia is right. There is a bad connection. Try removing all the main power wires and attack them with a wire brush.

Unless the TJ's changed the alternators out in 04+ your will be externally regulated by the ECU, also they don't have fan blades on the alt you can get your hands on.

I just had a problem similar to this two weeks ago. Drove it to auto zone (thankfully) to pick up wipers and it wouldn't turn over, heard clicks but no starter movement. Though a jump from the attendant started it up. My guess was a bad connection that will extra amps would be able to jump the gap and still start the jeep. Found the power lead to the starter was loose.

I never liked how loose my ground cable was. I could also lift the ground clamp off with it fully tight. I had a alternator upgrade sitting around waiting to go in anyway so I built a new power harness and installed it. About $60 in parts, all 2 gauge marine grade cable and gold plated terminals.

·
Registered
876 Posts
wavebacktothetj said:
Remove the nut & bolt from the clamp, and spread it apart just enough to insert a flat file. After filing down both sides of the flat surfaces, your factory clamp will grip the post tightly again. It's a little more effective than using an old hacksaw blade :D You should clean both posts and connectors to ensure you have solid battery connections also.

·
Premium Member
1,893 Posts
If the terminals/connectors on the battery are corroded clean them up before you install the new battery then pick up a tube/bottle of Die Electric Silicone Compound and apply this to the connectors. It will stop any further corrosion. Sounds like you have boiled your battery, that one is now shot no matter how you look at it.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well it's fixed if anybody is still wondering it was a fried battery it was still under warranty so I got a new one for 48 bucks not bad everything works just fine

1 - 14 of 14 Posts