Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Winch covers! I understand the reasons some people choose to use them, I know it probably is the "best" way to keep them clean and performing for a long time. I just don't like the look of having one that's loose or discolored right on the front of my vehicle. So I had an idea, shocking as that is, lol. I have synthetic line on my Rugged Ridge 10,500# winch, so I also know that UV is the biggest threat to the integrity of the synthetic, other than abrasions. All the winches I've seen with synthetic mounted have a chafe guard for the first(last) 15' or so. It's basically just black tube webbing. So I was wondering if there would be any disadvantages to removing my cable and adding another 20' of quality tube webbing that would in essence become a line cover once it is spooled onto the winch. I could even do a dark blue webbing to add to aesthetics on my Hydro JKU. Basically enough to run all the way across the spool to keep the UV from hitting the line when stored. Any thought yay or nay?

Joe

·
Registered
752 Posts
I have steel line and heard about UV issues with synthetic, but I also wonder if moisture is an issue too. It rains a lot where I live and didn't want to have to wind out the line to dry after each time it gets rained on.

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
I don't like them either but I like mine.

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
I have steel line and heard about UV issues with synthetic, but I also wonder if moisture is an issue too. It rains a lot where I live and didn't want to have to wind out the line to dry after each time it gets rained on.
They use them on ships and fishing boats.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
My synthetic line is over two years old with no cover, rain, snow, sand, mud in temperatures from -40 to 95° with no issues.
I simply wash it after it gets covered in mud etc and that's really it.

·
Premium Member
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So far no one is saying terrible idea... Guess that's a plus. Thinking of doing 50' of blue 1" tube webbing. I'll have to unspool my line completely anyhow to feed the webbing over so I'll wash it up good then. Once I buy some webbing I'll post on this thread how it turns out or any issues I find.

Joe

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
So far no one is saying terrible idea... Guess that's a plus. Thinking of doing 50' of blue 1" tube webbing. I'll have to unspool my line completely anyhow to feed the webbing over so I'll wash it up good then. Once I buy some webbing I'll post on this thread how it turns out or any issues I find.

Joe
The only big issue I can see is it getting bound up if using a snatch block, other than that it may trap dirt between it and the line itself but I can't see that being a big issue

1 - 10 of 10 Posts