Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I have been the owner of a 99 Wrangler 2.5l for over 3 years now. It came with a dilapidated, drafty, and ugly top that I had to deal with for almost a year. When I finally had the cash to put some money into my Jeep I went with a Rampage Frameless top in Sailcloth. I was ecstatic, it looked great, fit great, was quiet and almost the whole summer I ran it as a bikini top and had my windows stored in it for when I saw clouds. I had this top for almost a year and I loved it.

All seemed well until I had a leak. It was over the passenger front seat, in the seam that ran directly overhead. I called Rampage and they quickly sent out another top, I paid about $40 dollars to ship my old one from WV to CA. The new top seemed to have a few small redesigns, but fit and worked just as well as my old one.

This top went on fine. I had the windows off for almost a week straight because the weather was great. When I went to put the windows back on the rear window wouldn't zip in, and the situation ended with the passenger side zipper just coming off. Another call to rampage and they sent out a new window, they accidentally sent the wrong one so another call and the right one came out. Small flaw and an oversight, top still was great.

Some months pass and late fall rain is coming in heavy in WV, cold and hard. My top started leaking in the same exact spot again, passenger side in the overhead seam. I was in the middle of a semester and didn't have $100 for a deposit nor the money to ship back my old one. I spent over a month with a wet seat and drops falling on my head through turns. It was disheartening to have a beautiful top that leaked all the time. I finally got a new top in the mail after a phone call explaining my situation that I can't afford to pay shipping back. They kindly sent out a new top with no deposit and had a sticker to send back my old top in the box.

I've had this top for a while, and now with spring rain coming in heavy the top has started leaking again on the passenger side, same seam as always. I don't plan on calling Rampage, I plan on saving up some money and getting a different brand of top. This experience may not be indicative of their products as a whole, but it was my experience nonetheless. Their customer service is great, their tops are beautiful and I can't tell you how many compliments I've gotten on it. I don't know why every top I get leaks in the same area.

I don't know if anyone else had similar experiences, I just think I got what I paid for. Now my troubles and inconveniences are surpassing my savings, and I will pay more next time for a product that gives me no grief.

-Alex

·
Registered
600 Posts
Have you tried putting anything on the seam to seal it up? I'm sure you can get a container of waterproof seam sealer for less than a whole other top. Haha hell, you could seal every seam on the top for less than a new top.

·
Registered
70 Posts
sprint top

I've got the Pavement Ends Sprint Top and it's a nice top! The whole top section is one piece, there are no seams to leak. Also the rear straps are hidden, they are not exposed like the Rampage top (the main reason I didn't get the Rampage) IMO the exposed straps look like crap. The Pavement Ends Sprint Top fits excellent and it has the sun roof feature. I got mine in Black denim and I like the dark grayish color, I've only had it a couple months but so far it's a awsome top!

·
Registered
738 Posts
I've run the Rampage frameless top for about two years now and haven't had any issues with it so far, granted I don't run it year round as I do have a hardtop as well but it's held up great for me so far.

·
Registered
142 Posts
My biggest beef with the Bestop NX (and the Pavement Ends Sprint Top from the looks of it) is that the Rampage and the Softopper both have window storage options under the safari top. (rather than in a lined bag in the jeep!). In a place where a pretty day can go sour without notice (and vice versa), having a place to stick the windows that is out of the way is pretty desirable.

Am I wrong about the Bestop/Pavement ends top?

·
Registered
232 Posts
I got my rampage top well over a year ago and still dry inside, the top has only been removed once in all that time and it was about a week. Overall I am well pleased with my top.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Good read and thanks for the info.

·
Registered
70 Posts
My biggest beef with the Bestop NX (and the Pavement Ends Sprint Top from the looks of it) is that the Rampage and the Softopper both have window storage options under the safari top. (rather than in a lined bag in the jeep!). In a place where a pretty day can go sour without notice (and vice versa), having a place to stick the windows that is out of the way is pretty desirable.

Am I wrong about the Bestop/Pavement ends top?
Nope, you are right! But IMO the difference in the top design itself and quality outweigh the window storage issue. I roll my windows up and velcro strap them to the roll bar across the rear under the top, problem solved..

·
Registered
8,239 Posts
Nope, you are right! But IMO the difference in the top design itself and quality outweigh the window storage issue. I roll my windows up and velcro strap them to the roll bar across the rear under the top, problem solved..
Don't the Trektop NX windows have a plastic frame in them so that they are impossible to roll up?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Funny, this was posted up about an hour after I placed my order for a rampage top over the weekend. I have seen good and bad reviews for them, as well as other tops.

Mine is due to arrive tomorrow. The hardtop will come off and the rampage will go on, at least temporarily. I hope to run topless as much as possible, so hopefully I don't have too many wear and tear issues. I too like that the top has window storage, as the top is really meant to be more of an in case of emergency option for me.

·
Registered
142 Posts
That doesn't sound too bad. A picture of what you are talking about would really make this easier for me to weight though (and might put a new top on my horizon).

·
Registered
831 Posts
I've heard too many bad things about Rampage, too many good things about Pavement Ends and of course Bestop. For what the OP has put into his Rampage added to what he will spend on a better brand, he could have bought a good used hard top.

·
Registered
819 Posts
That doesn't sound too bad. A picture of what you are talking about would really make this easier for me to weight though (and might put a new top on my horizon).
I use the Clover Patch Window Roll for my Sailcloth RAT windows. It straps to the roll bars across the tailgate: https://www.quadratec.com/Assets/Images/30804/30804-lg.jpg

I like the way it protects my windows, and gives me quick and easy access when I need them in a hurry. YMMV, and invariably will...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts