Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have given to defeat! :surrender: I have a Tj with a 4 cylinder and it just doesnt do what I would like it to do on the trails. I could do all the work possible to this thing and be lucky to get 40 more Horsepower after a couple thousand bucks. I need some serious help on finding a new jeep or step by step instructions on doing an engine swap. I think I my go the way of the cummins 4BT but I have yet to find one or have the cash. today is a day of realizing I should have bought a better jeep. But I still love my jeep to death even though a strong gust of wind can push me over :surrender:

·
Registered
8,402 Posts
Step by step instructions are not likely going to be found as each engine swap is custom and there are lots of different approaches/configurations/considerations.

You also needs to make sure you have the skills, mechanical knowledge and tools if you are going to try to attempt it yourself...or the $$$ to have it done.

:thumb:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Yes some gears will make your jeep as capable as any. More horsepower is not always the solution with offloading. It's all about the gearing!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm running the stock 4.11 gears. I know I sound horrible by what I said and its not epic bad. There are just times where I have had to decline some trail runs with friends because my jeep just wont make it. It goes beyond any of my other cars I have owned and I love this thing to death and wont drive anything unless its a jeep but I'm stuck in a pickle and need answers of to win the lotto hahah

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have 30x9.5 goodyear wrangler mt/r on 15'' rims and an Ax5 transmission, 4.11 gears. my jeep is all stock except for some interior mods.

·
Registered
442 Posts
hmm this is weird...i wheel with guys who have the 4 cyl and mine is a 6 and there isnt much of a differnence betweent he two offroad...

Are you trying to climb vertical walls or soemthing?

·
Registered
32 Posts
i have a 98 2.5 with 4.11 gears and running 36in swammpers it sucks to drive down the freeway but wheeling shes a beast

·
Knows a couple things...
49,627 Posts
Your tire size & axle ratio are appropriate to each other. On the trails you are struggling on and declining invitations from your friends to do, are you doing them with the transfer case in 4Hi or 4Lo? Any Jeep will struggle on difficult offroad trails if you are in 4Hi, you need to shift into 4Lo if you're not doing so already.

Put another way, your Jeep would struggle on nearly any even moderately difficult trail if you attempted it in 4Hi. 4Hi is for high speed driving, 4Lo is for difficult offroad use. There is a DRAMATIC offroad performance improvement when using 4Lo vs. 4Hi. :)

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
agreed, with Jerry on that, ive got a wheeling buddy with a 92 yj he dropped a 350 in, and honestly my 2.5 is better on the trails most of the time, his problem is he has too much power with too heavy a foot and just spins his wheels. its all about traction and gearing use 4low more than 4hi on trails. 4hi was mostly made for icy on road situations.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Yup. I have a 2.5, and running 38.5 boggers with a spool and locker, can spin all 4 tires no problem. its all about gearing! My rig dont see the road much so its not a dd. In 2 wheel its not bad but wouldnt want to drive it far. still not nomal power on road. But offroad its great!! But it in 4 low and giver! All i have done to mine is a E-fan and a header.:thumb:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have used my 4 low a few but personally never thought i needed it, also I have a mechanic buddy who tells me that if I rev-up to much as it does when I am in 4 low and he has been with me on the trails that I can blow my engine as he has done to his engine before. maybe he is just feeding me bull? he has done more than I have being an older fellow and a mechanic but I will take your guys advice and do use 4 low when the time comes. sometime I think that is just a power hunger feeling I have that takes over that I need to calm down Lol I know we have all been there before!!

·
Registered
122 Posts
re-gearing goes a very far way sometimes.

·
Registered
568 Posts
If i'm out just playing in the mud I will use 4hi, all trails are 4lo. The 4 banger will take 3500 rpm all day long and keep on swinging. I think yor mechanic friend is looking to buy a used jeep real cheap.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
4low is like enabling god mode in doom... suddenly you can just go anywhere

2nd gear in 4low and you can go over or through just about anything, if you need to pick up the pace get into 3rd and 4th, if your climbing over the stuck hummer, use 1st.

·
_____O|||||||O_____
108 Posts
Also try disconnecting your front sway bar while off road.

·
Registered
3,513 Posts
Your buddy is blowing smoke. Use 4lo and let it rev, you won't hurt it unless you're redlining it.

Are you airing down?

·
Registered
572 Posts
It's a jeep, their not the most powerful vehicle ever made but that's not what they are made for. I have 97 TJ with the 4 banger on 33's with 4:10's. Yeah she isn't as fast as she was stock but i can run 70mph almost all day long in 4th gear. Guess it's just a jeep thing.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
If i'm out just playing in the mud I will use 4hi, all trails are 4lo. The 4 banger will take 3500 rpm all day long and keep on swinging. I think yor mechanic friend is looking to buy a used jeep real cheap.

I have a feeling you are right because he asked me if I was going to sell it the other day and I told him nope!! I love my jeep and its not going anywhere unless I'm driving it!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts