Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Lots of miles but good price! Your troubles are not that bad. Word of advise! Don't rush the jobs, research..research...research, use quality parts, and think it thru.
Thats my plan and I have been taking a lot of notes!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Lots of good advice on here...IMO you did "okay" on the deal. And even if you have all the work done, and decide not to do it yourself, probably wouldn't be much over $2K...I would CONSIDER doing a lift while changing shocks and having axle rebuild. Than you would have a 10 year old Rubi lifted with a solid drivetrain, new shocks, and a lot of higway miles. And there is nothing wrong with getting that out the door for $7-$8K!! Be a very good deal IMO even with 200K on the clock.
Even though it might not be my daily driver I don't want it to be too much trouble to get in and out of. I like the height that it is at right now maybe I'm getting too old. I don't know what size the 245/75/16 would equal to maybe 31 or 32's but I think it looks moderately tough. I will see later when I get better bumpers on it if I need it lifted more.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I had my front drive shaft rebuilt at a Napa for $140 about a month ago and it is the same shaft you have. A dealership is who sent me to them. I am not saying the guy you dealt with is a lying crook but I will say he is ignorant.

I think you got a good deal for the price. JMO
I know I have seen a NAPA store but I haven't been inside of it before. I will find it and check it out tomorrow. What pieces did they sell you?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Get a shop manual for your year and read up on what your problems are. It will list all the tools needed for the job. Then you can decide if you are up to the repair.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Check out napaonline they have a good search engine. I found this with 30 seconds of looking. NAPA AUTO PARTS

Okay thanks, the pics on this site aren't the best but I will go into the store and take a look at them. When I check the online search engine with the year, make and model of the Jepp this didn't come up but i'm sure I just didn't do it right. Thanks much, this is a good start.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
It was yokes, u joints and they even balanced the shaft. That price was parts and labor.
Ok so this wasn't the store but rather a NAPA repair center? And you just brought the axle to them and they did the whole job? Okay nice. Maybe that would be a better deal especially if they warranty it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Ok so this wasn't the store but rather a NAPA repair center? And you just brought the axle to them and they did the whole job? Okay nice. Maybe that would be a better deal especially if they warranty it.

I don't know how their franchise system is set up but it is a Napa Auto Parts that has a shop also. They do everything from lawn mowers to farm equipment. I pulled the drive shaft and took it to them.

·
Registered
161 Posts
$4500 is a steal even with the high miles. I see Rubi's with the same mileage on Autotrader for $8 to 9K. I just put an offer on an 06 Rubi LJ for $14K today, and I doubt they will accept it. Bottom line is you should feel great about the price you got. Most of your issues can be fixed for a reasonable price especially if you are turning the wrenches.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
In the future if you are looking for axle and propeller shaft components I would recommend a google search to see if you have a "six states" supply near you. They have tons of drivetrain (and a lot of other stuff) in stock and fairly priced. They are my new favorite for local shops.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Even though it might not be my daily driver I don't want it to be too much trouble to get in and out of. I like the height that it is at right now maybe I'm getting too old. I don't know what size the 245/75/16 would equal to maybe 31 or 32's but I think it looks moderately tough. I will see later when I get better bumpers on it if I need it lifted more.
The stock 245/75 16 Goodyear MTR's are 30.5" tires.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts