Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Hacks off Parts while Lit
2,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
finally found a good deal on an 8.8. picking it up tomorrow. i'm pretty sure its not 4.10s, which sux, but its a 99, disc brakes :D . got it for $200 cash. seemed like a good deal judging by i've been looking for 6 months or so now. local junkyards wanted 350 at the CHEAPEST for drum braked that was not 4.10s.....

now i hafta decide whether to gear it 4.10s until the jeep goes into the next phase or just put it in the back of the garage until i regear the whole 9 yards....

·
Extremely Humble
11,545 Posts
Cool! Get it on FAST! Times a tickin!

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
too bad i already bought the 8.8 that your talkin about and he regeared it to 4.56 for me and he gave it to me for $1.

·
2,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
LOL....well....i was wanting 4.88s....so i guess you can just have it. :D

thanks blu! im working on it!

i woulda taken it today but its still attached to the totalled exploder its gonna come out of. i offered to bring my torch and remove it myself, but he said hed do it for me. i did not leave a cash deposit, just b/c i wasnt gonna trust the guy, but hopefully he wont screw me.

im at a major crossroads now. i just dropped 200 on my front d-shaft (that i hadnt really planned on). from what i've found, if you're SUA, the dshaft will be 1" too long. on the guys site i saw this on, he cut an inch out and rewelded it. im not sure if thats kisher or not? if not, if i hafta pay for dshaft work, i might as well do the slip yoke eliminator and only pay for dshaft work once. if im gonna do that....i might as well go SOA. all of that, my friends, costs money. and.....im trying to save up some since i've got some life changing things going on right now (think.....the M word). if im gonna go SOA....imgonna have to regear the wholoe thing deeper.

now...i hate to double pay on too much, but theres noway i can afford all of that right now. otoh, i hate to leave my new axle in the corner of the garage for a year or two. thoughts? im leaning towards gearing it 4.10s, hacking the dshaft, and seeing what happens.

·
2,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
picked up the axle today. it has 3.73s :mad: so.....i wont have it in prior to JJUSA.

now i gotta decide whether to gear it to 4.10 and use it for now or pony up the cash and just go to 4.88's on the whole 9 yards

·
Pushy, Loudmouthed, and Ballsy
6,177 Posts
Spend twice, or spend more once? I say go for it.

·
2,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
found front and rear gears locally for $463 including the install kits. thats for 4.88s. i may do it here in a couple weeks. i could go ahead and setup the gears in the 8.8 and do the dana 30 sometime after jjusa.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I would do 410 gears in the 8.8 and a spool.

·
2,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well, my thought is, i have 4.10s now and its a D-O-G. i plan to go to 35s eventually, and i seldom drive the jeep on the highway. so, in the short term, the extra crawl speed will help. in the longterm, it'll save me 225 dollars plus time. i dunno.....i gotta see what the money stream looks like

1 - 10 of 10 Posts