Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a flowmaster 44 on my 2.5l it it really sounds like a mail truck when i cruise at around 1800-2200 rpm. I dont really like it. Idle sounds good and real low range sounds fine but just that area. Its like MMMBAAAAAAAA hahahaha i cant explain it any other worry sorry guys:) but if you literally think of a mail truck its my jeep. Do i have something wrong or is that just the muffler?

·
Registered
635 Posts
I put a Flowmaster on an Isuzu Trooper and you couldnt stand to be in the cab at 55-60 miles an hour. Like you said, it sound nice like a V8 at idle but way too much drone at highway speeds. I dont think they work good on a 4 cylinder for some reason.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Not a good combo, plus the 4 cylinders are pretty picky about their backpressures.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Any way i can figure out what kind of back pressure a muffler will have before i buy another one that doesnt work very well?

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
I've never been a fan of the flowmaster style mufflers I was running a dyno max OEM replacement system on my Yj and it had a little nicer sound then stock with out being loud or annoying. Not sure what I'm doing with the new axles and such as it will be built by what fits

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well ive always had v8s and they sound good on those hahahbplus my local exhaust sho only has flowmasters

·
Premium Member
3,316 Posts
What if you add a resonator down the line? Would that help balance out the drone?

Denis

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Its not the drone that bothers me ita the tone of it and how closely it sounds to a mail truck it just sounds like shit. I mean i know ita only a 4 cyl but im sure it can be a little better then this

1 - 8 of 8 Posts