Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few weeks ago on another jeep forum, I saw someone selling an instatrunk for $100. I thought to myself, se lf you should get it but I didn't. So I go into my jeep and find my glove box opened and my owners manual and various papers on the floor. No big deal I think at least the didn't slash my windows. I go to the cargo area and my summer cover and gallon (half used) herculiner and some ratchet set still their. I try to start it and find it difficult to turn the key. No big deal I still have my jeep. Stupid me forgets to take the cover out of the back. Eventually that along with my ratchet set and a half used herculiner are now gone and I have since installed an instatrunk. Today I decide to look under the hood and check my fluids. My drivers side hood latch is secure and notice my passenger side is unlatched. I open the hood and I look at my a/c compressor and see the electrical wires have been cut. Completely fresh smooth cut. My only thought is the stupid thief thought they were alarm wires and tried to diable it. Now along with the instatrunk I need a hood lock. Lots of them out but which one does everyone like more then the other. Sorry to vent but thanks.

·
Registered
275 Posts
back in 98 when i had a se model soft top i put in an alarm with the area sensor inside and a hood latch lock the person just slashed my passenger back window then it alarmed and the person took off yeah that hits you were it really hurts

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
That sucks. Make sure that you let us know what you end up getting.

·
Registered
551 Posts
made my own, works great. just drill a hole into the lower portion of the front hood latch and attach a diskus padlock. it wont hit the radiator, it will only swing, a little bit, from side to side. when you go to open up the hood that lock will get wedged into the small opening that the hood latch goes through and you wont be able to open it more than an inch or so. all it will cost you is the lock and about 15 min

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Sorry to hear about your loss: it's a bad feeling when your car or home gets broken into. Hopefully, the cut wires can be easily fixed. I just read the directions for the Instatrunk, which I'm going to install tomorrow. I am waiting to receive the lockbox that is from the Bestop Instatrunk. I'm still thinking about getting a hardtop, as well as locks for the door hinges and the hood for added security. This best insurance for theft is a good insurance policy. I thought that someone would break into my Jeep, so I go a zero-deductible on my insurance; however, I'm going to raise to a $250 or $500 deductible.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Locks can be defeated, they are only temporary.

A 357 is permanent.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Well, I have a CCW permit, but I don't carry. I just got it for when I go out offroading and hiking in case I'm stopped by the sheriff. Right now, I only have the bar locked to my clutch.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the sympathy and advice. I'm liking Mike's idea. I purposely leave the doors unlocked so no one will slash the windows. I never did (except the stuff that was stolen) in it for that reason. I never had this problem with my YJ. No one ever touched it.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Mike_3303 said:
made my own, works great. just drill a hole into the lower portion of the front hood latch and attach a diskus padlock. it wont hit the radiator, it will only swing, a little bit, from side to side. when you go to open up the hood that lock will get wedged into the small opening that the hood latch goes through and you wont be able to open it more than an inch or so. all it will cost you is the lock and about 15 min
Hey you got pictures of that? So I could get an idea more or less! Thanks

·
Jeeper
11,419 Posts
Sorry to hear about your loss: it's a bad feeling when your car or home gets broken into. Hopefully, the cut wires can be easily fixed. I just read the directions for the Instatrunk, which I'm going to install tomorrow. I am waiting to receive the lockbox that is from the Bestop Instatrunk. I'm still thinking about getting a hardtop, as well as locks for the door hinges and the hood for added security. This best insurance for theft is a good insurance policy. I thought that someone would break into my Jeep, so I go a zero-deductible on my insurance; however, I'm going to raise to a $250 or $500 deductible.
Keep in mind, as soon as you raise the deductible, you'll have a claim.... Murphys Law.... :) Seriously, find out how much it affects your rates. Chances are good you won't save that $250 in premiums for a while, and Wranglers are prone to broken windshields.....

Prevention is easier and less frustrating than fixing the bad stuff.... NEVER leave anything you want to keep in any vehicle... Doors locked or unlocked won't make a difference to a vandal... They'll slash stuff just out of meanness... And carry $0 deductible on your Comp. coverage... That way when bad stuff happens, you get new stuff for nothing... :) Comp claims don't count against you unless you have a boat load of them...

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
If thieves didn't have a wrist to slap, there would be less to rehabilitate.

·
Registered
235 Posts
i had a new radio for about 15 hours and went out in the morning and my radio was gone and they were nice enough to break the harness. at least i diddent get my top slashed...

·
Registered
920 Posts
Looking forward to the pictures of the disc lock as well. Was in the garage today thinking of how vulnerable everything under the hood is.

·
Founder, ThumbJeeps
4,062 Posts
urggg that sucks man. We had a 1970 firebird stripped in the driveway. The took the craiger rims, mickey thompson valve covers, center console, guages, left it sitting on blocks. Ohhhh man, my dad was pissed!!!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Sorry to hear that....but I'm glad I found a factory Instatrunk on CL for $30...snapped it right up and installed it today! super easy and now I can keep stuff outta sight. If they want it bad enough they will get it, it will just be a bit more difficult.

·
Registered
119 Posts
so far ive gotten my ipod, expensive oakleys, a system (subs and amp in my mazda) and a cop radar stolen right infront of my house :banghead:. installed a camera that sits above the garage and i put in a motion censor that sits on the roll bar pinned by the soft top sounds an alarm inside the house when they open the jeep door. no problems yet. and my 540 fps bb gun under the bed xD

1 - 20 of 93 Posts