Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And need help. after reading and then reading some more threads and articles i have concluded that i can run a 2.5inch lift kit without having driveshaft problems(correct me if im wrong). I just bought a 2013 jeep and of course i want to lift it and put tires on for added ground clearence while off road. I've been looking at 2.5inch lift kits from rock krawler and TF and a 3inch lift from synergy. rock krawler being the most expensive. what im saying is i need guidance, i know quite a bit about cars but i have never had the chance to tinker around with suspension. Im pretty good on understanding 2.5inch lifts( i think) i shouldnt have driveshaft problems. but if i decide to go with 3inch or higher i need to make modifications(beef up) my driveshaft to accomodate the change in angle correct? what im saying is, in this completely over explanatory post, what exactly do i need to change/add to my jeep to accomodate the higher lifts correctly? ive spent days reading different threads and magazines and quite simply my brain is in freeze mode. can someone please help? possibly explain the added parts and what they are in "dummy terms". thanks and sorry if this annoys anyone just tired of searching and not being able to absorb the information.

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
There is no "one-size-fits-all" answer.

You're right about the 2.5" lifts not trashing your ds, for the most part. But you'll notice that different kits include/exclude different items. It'll make your head spin. For example, you MIGHT need adjustable control arms, which will adjust your caster (angle of steering), after the lift install. But a lot of 2.5" lifts don't need em, so often they're not included. Similarly, you MIGHT need adjustable track bars to center your axles after the lift install, but again, they're often not included.

If you buy shocks over 25" long (just about any lift with shocks), you'll need a TeraFlex exhaust spacer to make sure your exhaust and stock ds don't hit at full flex offroad. $50, easy install.

Some good 2.5" lifts are TeraFlex, OME, Rock Krawler, AEV...on a side note, AEV does things a little differently. Generally, they're lifts are gonna be all-inclusive, but they're pricey for what you get.

A 3" lift is kind've on the edge of needing an aftermarket ds. I run a 3" Full Traction lift, and installed a 1310 JE Reel front ds at the time I installed the lift. Another option would be to install the lift, and keep an eye on the ds...when it starts slinging grease from the CV joint, it's time for a swap.

Also, your need for aftermarket ds's depends on how much you plan on wheeling, how high a lift you run, etc. The more flexing you do, the more stress the increased angles will put on your stock ds's CV joints, and the more likely you'll be to need new ones.

For lifts 3" and up, you're gonna need the aforementioned adjustable ca's and tb's, in order to restore good handling/driving characteristics to your rig after the lift installation.

Basically, everything you're gonna do to your Jeep is – in some way – a trade off. The higher you go on both tires and lift, the more replacement items you'll need to make it work well, and the greater chance you'll have of something breaking – probably something you didn't anticipate.

For example, your stock ball joints pretty much stink. If you run 35" or 37" tires, you will certainly hasten their demise. But there's really no point in replacing them with something better till they go down for a dirt nap.

Some peeps view the ds the same way. It depends on your budget, personality, how you plan to use your Jeep, etc.

With higher lifts (3"+), you can go with a long-arm or mid-arm kit, as well. These are gonna require some permanent changes to your suspension set-up, and the lifts are a lot more expensive than most, but if you're gonna wheel the crap outta your Jeep, they'll pay for themselves.

For a standard 3"+ lift here's what I'd want:

*shocks/springs
*adj track bars
*adj control arms
*sway bar links
*brake line brackets or extensions
*bump stops
*aftermarket ds

And if you're gonna run that high a lift, you're probably gonna run at least 35" tires. For that I'd want:

*rims with proper backspacing to run them without spacers (that's just my
preference...if you run spacers, get some good ones, like Spidertrax)
*proper gearing
*gussets for weak front axle C's
*a tire carrier that can handle the extra weight
*a bottle jack that can handle the Jeep's extra height
*an AEV Procal to adjust shift points, speedo, and disable/lower TPMS

Feels like I'm forgetting something. It's early. Anyway, that should at least give you an idea.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
What model 2013? Rubi, Saraha, Sport what?

How do you plan to wheel this thing? Rock crawling, mud bogging, mall crawling?

Will say what I say to all who start these threads....

Wheel your jeep stock for a bit, 6 months to a yr. Go on different runs with different people and talk to them. Ask them on simple question, "If you could build your jeep over again what would you do different?" Learn from their "mistakes". Then sit back and methodically put your rig together:

Undercarriage protection
Sliders (especially if you are rock sliding)
Bumpers
Lift, suspension (shocks), tires and RIMS---- if you are rock crawling, save the pretty for the mall crawlers and posers
Gears
CB
Aux lighting

Lots to consider here so figure out how you wish to use your rig, then go from there. We built ours to handle 90% of what is out there and the RUBICON.

The other thing I recommend is to buy the best you can afford. This is not a place to cheap out.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Some of the time the actual lift kit is by far the lowest priced item of a proper lift. I prefer to keep the geometry correct, so I purchased adjustable parts.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I'm kind of on the same position as the OP. I'm looking to put a 2.5 on but worried about getting too much lift and then having DS etc. issues. From what I've read the rock krawler lifts give more than the 2.5" compensating for bumpers and what not. In order to get a straight 2.5 without bumpers what would be an ideal lift and route to go. I don't go out wheeling a lot, once a month or so, and it's nothing too crazy. No rock crawling or anything along those lines

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
You might be suprised what your JK can do with a simple sway bar disconnect and extended brake line mod.
Let that axle droop and it will go places you never thought possible.

A lift and tires are more or less inevitable but for a few hundred bucks and few hours wrenching in the driveway you can turn your stock rig into a trail worthy ride.
Bribe a buddy with a six pack to help you bleed the new brake lines.

You'll need these mods with a lift kit anyway, I found it's a great place to start if your just itchin to make your Jeep perform better off road.
Longer brake lines will really help when it comes time to install longer springs too. You'll find out why.

Stock rubi take off BFG mud terrains can often be found for cheap if your undecided on what rim/tire and lift package you want long term.
If the tires rub at full flex get some wheel spacers and extended bump stops, another simple and reasonably priced driveway mod that helps off road performance.

I'm a huge fan of the Old Man Emu suspension and BFG KM2 tires for durability and quality but there are certainly tons of options out there.

·
Registered
112 Posts

*shocks/springs
*adj track bars
*adj control arms
*sway bar links
*bump stops
*aftermarket ds

And if you're gonna run that high a lift, you're probably gonna run at least 35" tires. For that I'd want:

*proper gearing
Awesome right up, appreciate the insight... Anyway you could suggest requirements for a 2.5" lift, maybe even with 33" tires vice 35s? I know thats asking a lot, but appreciate any help... :thumb:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There is no "one-size-fits-all" answer.

You're right about the 2.5" lifts not trashing your ds, for the most part. But you'll notice that different kits include/exclude different items. It'll make your head spin. For example, you MIGHT need adjustable control arms, which will adjust your caster (angle of steering), after the lift install. But a lot of 2.5" lifts don't need em, so often they're not included. Similarly, you MIGHT need adjustable track bars to center your axles after the lift install, but again, they're often not included.

If you buy shocks over 25" long (just about any lift with shocks), you'll need a TeraFlex exhaust spacer to make sure your exhaust and stock ds don't hit at full flex offroad. $50, easy install.

Some good 2.5" lifts are TeraFlex, OME, Rock Krawler, AEV...on a side note, AEV does things a little differently. Generally, they're lifts are gonna be all-inclusive, but they're pricey for what you get.

A 3" lift is kind've on the edge of needing an aftermarket ds. I run a 3" Full Traction lift, and installed a 1310 JE Reel front ds at the time I installed the lift. Another option would be to install the lift, and keep an eye on the ds...when it starts slinging grease from the CV joint, it's time for a swap.

Also, your need for aftermarket ds's depends on how much you plan on wheeling, how high a lift you run, etc. The more flexing you do, the more stress the increased angles will put on your stock ds's CV joints, and the more likely you'll be to need new ones.

For lifts 3" and up, you're gonna need the aforementioned adjustable ca's and tb's, in order to restore good handling/driving characteristics to your rig after the lift installation.

Basically, everything you're gonna do to your Jeep is – in some way – a trade off. The higher you go on both tires and lift, the more replacement items you'll need to make it work well, and the greater chance you'll have of something breaking – probably something you didn't anticipate.

For example, your stock ball joints pretty much stink. If you run 35" or 37" tires, you will certainly hasten their demise. But there's really no point in replacing them with something better till they go down for a dirt nap.

Some peeps view the ds the same way. It depends on your budget, personality, how you plan to use your Jeep, etc.

With higher lifts (3"+), you can go with a long-arm or mid-arm kit, as well. These are gonna require some permanent changes to your suspension set-up, and the lifts are a lot more expensive than most, but if you're gonna wheel the crap outta your Jeep, they'll pay for themselves.

*shocks/springs
*adj track bars
*adj control arms
*sway bar links
*bump stops
*aftermarket ds

*proper gearing

Feels like I'm forgetting something. It's early. Anyway, that should at least give you an idea.
Thank you so much for laying this out for me( my brain has awakened from overload lol). as far as driveshafts go did you need to replace the rear as well? if the CV were to go on the stock shaft do you simply replace the u-joint or is the whole thing shot? and for my needs right now i think a 2.5inch lift with 33s while be substantial, however i do want the the disconnects and adjustable parts just in case. i dont want to be in the woods one day and be like damnit so thats why i needed those ya know. but i dont intend on rock crawling or anything i just like playing in the mud frequently, where im at theres no where to do anything to serious that i know of. Pretty much offroading in Maryland sucks!!. with all that said i would like a 3inch but im only 21 and paying for my beautiful jeep so i dont want to spend much more than 3000 to 4000 all said and done. But you can bet there will be upgrading to the lift after awhile i just need to decide what i want to start out with first.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What model 2013? Rubi, Saraha, Sport what?

How do you plan to wheel this thing? Rock crawling, mud bogging, mall crawling?

Will say what I say to all who start these threads....

Wheel your jeep stock for a bit, 6 months to a yr. Go on different runs with different people and talk to them. Ask them on simple question, "If you could build your jeep over again what would you do different?" Learn from their "mistakes". Then sit back and methodically put your rig together:

Undercarriage protection
Sliders (especially if you are rock sliding)
Bumpers
Lift, suspension (shocks), tires and RIMS---- if you are rock crawling, save the pretty for the mall crawlers and posers
Gears
CB
Aux lighting

Lots to consider here so figure out how you wish to use your rig, then go from there. We built ours to handle 90% of what is out there and the RUBICON.

The other thing I recommend is to buy the best you can afford. This is not a place to cheap out.
I have a 2013 sport. and i plan on mainly mud bogging but if the occassional rock crawling oppurtunity came id like to atleast be able to make a mild attempt at it. and plan on doing all the other required upgrades alll those i understand in plain english lol. its the lift kit part that has been confusing me horribly up until i posted this. and i would love to wheel around with buddies awhile first to see what theyd do differently with their jeeps the only problem is im young and my buddies dont do this and theres nowhere to casually offroad around here unless you know a spot. I have no intention of cheaping out with this either i want to do it right the first time which is why im asking for help because i am new to this so i am unsure of whats quality and what isnt but i have gathered enough to know the popular opinion is AEV OME and Rock Krawler. Currently im leaning toward the Rock Krawler kit because it has all the adjustable parts but it is expensive so im gathering opinions on all lift kits before i drop 1800 on the Rock Krawler one and get potentially dissappointed

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
as far as driveshafts go did you need to replace the rear as well? if the CV were to go on the stock shaft do you simply replace the u-joint or is the whole thing shot?
Mine's a 4-door, so the rear ds isn't as crucial, initially. I bought the front with my lift; plan on buying the rear before the end of the year. For a 2-door with a 3"+ lift, I'd replace both.

When the CV joint goes, you need a new ds. Once it starts slinging grease, you've got about 100 miles till it seizes on you. Bummer.

You don't need to worry about it with a 2.5" lift, especially if you add heavy aftermarket bumpers and winch, which should temper some of the "extra" lift you get with most 2.5" kits.

and for my needs right now i think a 2.5inch lift with 33s while be substantial, however i do want the the disconnects and adjustable parts just in case. i dont want to be in the woods one day and be like damnit so thats why i needed those ya know.
Having adjustable control arms and track bars won't save you from breaking down in the woods. The only thing adj ca's do is allow you to set caster/pinion, which you'll need to do primarily with taller lifts. Occasionally you'll need a pair of adj ca's (not all 8) for the front to get your caster into a reasonable area so your steering doesn't feel flighty. Most of the time it's not necessary with a 2.5" lift. Likewise with adj track bars, which will recenter your axles if they get off during your lift install.

If you wanna spend the $$ on these things for peace of mind, have at it. But either, or both, could get mangled wheeling, just like the non-adjustable parts. That's where skid plates and armor come in.

where im at theres no where to do anything to serious that i know of. Pretty much offroading in Maryland sucks!!.
Google local Jeep or 4x4 clubs. Plenty of places to wheel in VA, NJ, PA...might even be some local MD clubs that use private land. Also, post in the MD section at the bottom of the main page to hook up with local Jeepers who can help you install your lift, etc – often for just some pizza and beer.

with all that said i would like a 3inch but im only 21 and paying for my beautiful jeep so i dont want to spend much more than 3000 to 4000 all said and done. But you can bet there will be upgrading to the lift after awhile i just need to decide what i want to start out with first.
If I were you, I'd wheel your Jeep stock some, before you do anything to it. Great way to learn what ESC does, and when to turn it off. Or how the anti-stall feature works. Modding your Jeep won't make you a better off-roader if you don't know how it works in the first place, and have experience wheeling. You could have a 4" lift and 37's, but if you gun it into standing water to make a "cool" splash, you could get water in your air intake and hydrolock your engine.

The cheapest thing you could do, if you really want a truly temporary lift, is to buy something like the TeraFlex leveling kit. $130 (or $400 for the spring version). It'll fix your Jeep's factory rake and raise you a couple of inches, and when it comes time to get a more expensive lift and possibly 35"+ tires, you won't be out so much $$.

Just another possibility.

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts

*shocks/springs
*adj track bars
*adj control arms
*sway bar links
*bump stops
*aftermarket ds

*proper gearing

A 2.5" lift and 33's are just condensed. For the lift:

*shocks/springs
*adj track bars
*sway bar links
*brake line extension brackets (esp for discoing sway bars)
*bump stops
*if '12 or '13, and new shocks, then TF exhaust spacer

If, after you install the lift, your Jeep's caster is off, you'll want front adj control arms. Caster is the angle of your steering viewed from the side. If the caster's off your steering will feel flighty or drifty.

If your axles get knocked off center from the lift, you'll want adjustable track bars.

There's really no reason to get either one for a 2.5" lift, other than what I just mentioned. If it makes you feel better to buy em up front, go for it. But I'd wait until the lift was installed and I had a chance to drive the Jeep before I'd buy one or both, myself.

As for the 33" tires:

*wheels with proper backspacing to run them without spacers (that's just my preference...if you wanna run wider tires on stock rims, you'll need spacers. Get some good ones, like Spidertrax)
*a bottle jack that can handle the Jeep's extra height (may or may not need this...depends on total lift height, weight, etc)

I don't include gearing with the 33's, mainly because it's very subjective, and not worth the $$ (IMO) for that tire size on a '12 or '13, even with 3.21 gears. Some peeps with the 3.8L engine may opt for lower gears...completely up to the individual. But to me, they're not a necessity like they are with 35" tires.

Awesome right up, appreciate the insight... Anyway you could suggest requirements for a 2.5" lift, maybe even with 33" tires vice 35s? I know thats asking a lot, but appreciate any help... :thumb:
Understand, this is just my personal take on it. Some will agree, some will disagree. As I said in my first post in this thread: There is no "one-size-fits-all" answer.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you for your help i really appreciate it. i will definately look into clubs in maryland itd be nice to have people to talk to and offroad with around here. And i agree there is things i still need to learn about my jeep im just concerned about ground clearance Ive been off roading around here for awhile i just always had a truck so ground clearance was never a issue. I cant wait to get it all figured out thats all i know, as far as whatd id like to do. im definately investing in a snorkle before i try making any cool splashes lol the one i want isnt available for the 3.6 yet unfortunately so now im playing the waiting games oh yay...

·
Registered
209 Posts
great read thanks to all that have gave advice on the lifts and the advice on trying it out before you mod so you will know what you need. they are pretty awsome stock compared to any other stock vehicle.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts