Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So not slam literally but use a lot of force. Same thing for the other doors. Its 14JKU with 1500 miles.

Is this normal for a new JK? Is there a break in period before they'll shut easier?

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
No need to slam, it's all bout the follow through. You can't finger fling the door close, grab the handle and just firmly push it in.

The best thing about summer for me is my doors are off and my wife/kids/friends don't slam my doors to close.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Same here! Slamm'in doors like a mofo here! Think it's the seals. Those darn sea creatures always getting in the way!

·
Registered
725 Posts
Your Jeep has seals around the doors to keep water out when fording, so it's air pressure resisting the close. If you open a window a little the doors will close easily. Also if you follow through, rather than let the door go, (or put your hand on the frame) it will close without slamming.

·
Super Moderator
14,586 Posts
Your Jeep has seals around the doors to keep water out when fording, so it's air pressure resisting the close. If you open a window a little the doors will close easily. Also if you follow through, rather than let the door go, (or put your hand on the frame) it will close without slamming.
This.

It's a feature that most owners will never use. The door seal is designed to keep water out when you take your Jeep swimming.

:beerdrinking:

·
Registered
110 Posts
Just a FIRM push will do the trick like Y-Guy said. I can open the door 2-3 inches and if you push it firmly shut it will close everytime. Slamming doesn't do much good. Why I like having top off wjen I can.

·
Build Thread Queen
13,193 Posts
Mike was having the same problem with his jeep. We had a friend here over the summer who is INFINITELY experienced with jeeps. He lowered the striker bar about a millimeter or two and the door closes much better now. It was just high enough to keep it from closing right.

As soon as we mentioned the problem, he immediately knew what was wrong. Guess it must be a common thing for it to be slightly off...

·
Registered
164 Posts
I've found we have this issue with the hard top on, but not so much with the soft top.

It seems like it's the seals to the top of the door. If I use the handle I have to use a lot of the force or just slam. I've also found that I can use a lot less force just closing the door along the top part to the right of the driver's window with my palm and following through.

·
Registered
5,701 Posts
You should only have to use extra force on the front doors and that is because of the seal on the Freedom Panels where most leaks occurs. The rear doors should not require as much force.

·
Registered
3,071 Posts
lol. These door seals don't even keep out rain. The reason it's hard to slam is a combination of the door being light (so you can remove them), short so there's less leverage (relative to a car door), and tight seals due to Chrysler trying to fix rain leaks.

Someone on here said that the salesman told him the door seals were tight because the jeep floats in water...

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Mine have never leaked in torrential rain or fording, maybe it's your Jeep but not mine.

I attribute the issue to like as many others have said and that is because they are thicker seals to accommodate fording and the fact that it is completely vertical flat surface with out curves to door frame or body which with regular door seals just wouldn't work well.

It has nothing to do with Chrysler trying to fix leaks. Most leaks are cause by lack of care for seals and improperly aligning or over tightening roof and panels.

·
Registered
655 Posts
So not slam literally but use a lot of force. Same thing for the other doors. Its 14JKU with 1500 miles.

Is this normal for a new JK? Is there a break in period before they'll shut easier?
Seems normal on the JK's. I traded one in on a Ram 1500 and doors close very easily and quality 100% better. Don't know why Wrangler line is so quality poor!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts