Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Show Me Your 8008135!
3,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Every time I start saving for my lift, something new breaks on my Jeep...

First it was clutch (throwout bearing...which I've decided to skip replacing until it gets worse)

Then starter went out--replaced that and broke the battery terminal connector off the wire.

Replaced that to find I need to replace one of my ground wires.

Yesterday, wasn't thinking and parked in front of one of the barns at work...come back later to find the boss' new lab pup ate the wiring off my Hella driving light. Beat the hell out of the dog after showing her the damage and commented that I hoped she didn't touch my brake lines. Fixed fog lights. Drove home.

Went to leave for work this morning... started Jeep and let it warm up while I scraped the windows. Jumped in to leave, pushed down the brake pedal to release the parking brake (my driveway is on a slight hill)...foot drops to the floor. Pump up brakes and once every few pumps it would hold pressure and then slowly drop to the floor. Looked underneath Jeep...puddle of brake fluid. FARK!!!!

So now...I'm waiting on a ride from my brother to work so I can pick up my boss' Jeep Liberty and trying to figure out how to get the Jeep to my buddy's shop so we can get the blown line(s) replaced.

...and if I find chewmarks on it, the dog is going to eat a .20 gauge.

I realize it's not safe...but being a manual, if I took it over to his place around midnight when the roads are pretty dead and engine braked to slow down while using the e-brake to make complete stops when necessry, couldn't I make it without any trouble about 5 miles to the shop? My e-brake is in good shape...use it daily for parking...but would I wear it out using it for 5 miles to actually brake from a decent roll?

·
Registered
957 Posts
You'll be fine using your e-brake. Just slow down long before you actually need to apply it. 5 miles with a couple stops with no traffic won't hurt. You're not going ot be locking it up anyways.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Not much difference between doing that and using the engine for braking out in the woods when you offroad...if you get stopped by cops, just tell them they blew a couple miles back! Years ago...geez, several decades...I was going through Vermont to New York on the winding mountainsides and blew the brake line on my '57 plymouth...pinched the line over and clamped it with vicegrips...made it home that way with just one set of brakes...maybe you can do the same with that line that's leaking...and at least get half your brakes back.
Take it slow, pay attention, and good luck!

·
Registered
36 Posts
I drove a city block once, in granny gear, in a '78 Ford pickup and don't really recommend driving anywhere like that. All was fine as I went about 5 mph until I went to pull into the parking lot and someone appeared out of nowhere. Gah!

We missed each other but you don't realize just how fast 5 mph is until you cannot stop in a timely fashion. Also, if there was an accident, there might be a major liability issue since you were driving it, knowing that the brakes were faulty.

I would not suggest this course of action. :)

Good luck and take care... RT

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
Maybe if you were nicer to the puppy .......he wouldn't have chewed on your stuff.:flipoff:

·
Registered
386 Posts
i honestly hate animals when they do shit like that. I don't think they're cute, funny, being silly... at moments like those I just want to do the opposite of those effin' commercials with Sarah Mclachlan singin with pictures of cute puppies and punt the dogs face off

AGH I would be very very very pissed off.

stupid dog.

make that dog pull the jeep by it's leash.

dog hate rant over.

·
Show Me Your 8008135!
3,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Lol the puppy is spoiled...they have around 5 acres to free roam on, toys, a shed with doghouses in it...and the little sh*t continues to eat everything in sight. My boss had to reroute her wire around his motorhome because she got under there and ate a bunch of his wiring. She also has begun to literally tear the wood siding off his freshly painted house and eat it as well..as well as all outside deck chairs and such. NEVER seen a puppy chew so much...I was training her with a remote shock collar and somehow she managed to rip that off and chew it up as well...no idea how she got that one off and not her primary underground fence collar.

·
Registered
386 Posts
The thing that is BS about most dogs- is its their owners and people around them that make them the way they are.

That Ceasar Mexican Dog trainer guy got his shit together. Those dogs are awesome.
He loves animals but still understands THEY ARE ANIMALS! Not your brother or sister, not your girlfriend, not your grandma ANIMALS.

Once you can harbor the thought of treating IT yes IT, like an animal then you can successfully care for a dog and train them properly.

Sorry I'm ranting so much. I have a dog that I love and hate. Yes. Both.
My girlfriend treats it with voices like its a baby, doesn't walk him properly, the dog doesn't listen to her or respect her orders. When its just me and him he is a great dog... he listens to me , obeys and gets rewarded when he deserves it.

When she's with him I come home to find he did some BS cause he doesn't listen to my girlfriend.

ERGH

·
Registered
431 Posts
Wow, I would hope that your boss pays to fix everything his dog ruined. If it were his child he would have to.

·
Show Me Your 8008135!
3,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm sure hed pay for it if I asked but ill just consider it a lesson learned and not park there again...I should have realized it before it even happened. Granted I'm still gonna beat that dog to kingdom come if I find chew marks on my brake line.

·
Show Me Your 8008135!
3,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Everything but this one dog...my boss has 2 labs...one is awesome. The new one makes me want to pull a michael vick...I actually gave up training my dog at home because after all day at work with the dumbsh*t I would come home and if my dog pooped in the house I'd take all my anger out on her and beat her TOO much...I felt so terrible about it that I just went back to crating her while I'm at work. It just sucks cuz when I'm working 12 hour days, I'd rather my dog be allowed to run around the house rather than crated. My roommates will let her outside but they don't let her stay out since she can't be trusted if they leave the room for long

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
You know there is a reason people eat dogs in some countries.....

·
Show Me Your 8008135!
3,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I thought about shooting her and selling her to the Koreans...lol

Welp, got my Jeep down to my buddy's shop tonight...my goal was to use my driving experience enough that I wouldn't have to touch my parking brake. Yeah, didn't work...was about to roll slowly through a red light (after looking both ways of course) making a right turn and there was an oncoming car on my right that ended up being a Sheriff. Pumped the crap out of my brakes to make it look like I had made a complete stop.

Then almost overshot my turn into the driveway of my buddy's shop...forgot to downshift out of 3rd into 2nd until the last second so I just grabbed the e-brake.

I can say that my e-brake works exceptionally well...I locked em up at about 15 mph without even yanking it clear up. :p

But yep...it's now safely parked at my buddy's shop so hopefully I'll have it back by this weekend.

·
Hardcore Jeeper
3,320 Posts
My brake line rusted through and burst from age while I had 7 people in my jeep... that was fun...

·
Show Me Your 8008135!
3,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Jeep is done but my buddy/mechanic is having trouble getting the brake light on the dash to go out...he replaced the line which had just rusted and coincidentally broke the day after the dog ate my fog light wiring (so she's safe...for now), refilled the master cylinder, bled all the brakes and took it to lunch...said it works great but the light just won't go off. Any ideas on what would cause that?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts