Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 05 LJ Rubicon, 58k, all stock... I had 265/75/16s BFG ATs until the mrs said she wanted them for her, new to us TJ rubi. So I got her previous owner purchased, 245/75/16 Michelin passenger tires. For the first time I got the DW. Could it be the tires? Is the sidewall stronger on the BFG, it has to be, right? I can't wait for her to buy her own tires. What do you think about the tires causing the start of DW?

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
If you didn't have an issue, then you changed tires and suddenly an issue presented itself, then yes I would say it would be the tires. I'm going to assume that you're noticing a shimmy that builds on itself somewhere around 40-50 mph and disappears by 60 mph. Is that accurate at all?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep, that's it. Been reading about it for years. Wondering when it would hit. I'll get my tires back soon, but I have another beater DD that I'll go back to driving

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Well the good news is that it's not death wobble. ;)

I'd have the tires balanced perfectly, by a reputable shop that acknowledges they will do them perfectly. That should eliminate the issue completely. Check the steering components to be sure there isn't any play and verify the front toe and you'll be set.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Yeah. If you get death wobble, its not going away if you speed up. I just replaced my track bar, stabilizer, rebalanced all tires and got an aligment to fix my death wobble after my 2 inch lift.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I had the same problem with my 2005 TJ. I rotated the tires and I got the steering wheel wobble. I balanced all 4 tires and replaced my steering stabilizer. I still have a little wobble but most is gone.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts