Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 92 YJ with the 2.5l engine. My predicament is that I would like to be able to tow a boat/trailer probably weighing around 4-5k lbs. Towing would be small trips, no more than 15 miles. Is this possible? What will I tear up first?

Thanks in advance for all advice.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Im on 31s and I towed my uncles boat prob around that. Could not get over 30 mph. Other than that the brakes did not like it at all. They made a funny grinding noise and they are new. Also the jeep has a towing cap of 2000 pounds I think so if you get pulled over its your ticket.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have to agree that you should definitely not do that. It would just be extremely dangerous, not only to you but to everyone else around you on the road. If not balanced perfectly 5K pounds can and has pulled around the backend on my 1/2 ton truck a little bit, so you can imagine what it would do to a little jeep. Please dont even attempt this.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
ok, not only is this a crazy notion. But you're gonna kill your jeep to find out that you really shouldn't pull that much weight with it. Not only is it a 4 banger, but what you wanna tow weighs more than the vehicle that you wanna tow it with. You're gonna ruin your brakes, transmission, and even your engine. That is of course a best case scenario. Sliding through an intersection and killing people because you couldn't stop would be the other end of that.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Don't do it with a 4 cyl.even a 6 cyl.would be a bad idea.plus IF u got your boat to the launch i have never seen a horizontal launch..u would never be able to pull it out of the water on the incline..

·
Registered
187 Posts
To the last posting, Why would he not be able to pull it out? thats what four wheel low is for. Im not saying to do it, Im just saying Ive pulled my uncles boat out no prob. Also if I can pull a motor home out of the sand at the beach a boats no prob.

·
Registered
99 Posts
To the last posting, Why would he not be able to pull it out? thats what four wheel low is for. Im not saying to do it, Im just saying Ive pulled my uncles boat out no prob. Also if I can pull a motor home out of the sand at the beach a boats no prob.
Launches can be at different angles from slight to somewhat steep..4 wheel is nice but will he have the HP for power to pull it out..i just would not want to see any major damage done...there are variables to everything.just my opinion i would recommend against trailering 4-5 thousand pounds....

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
Launches can be at different angles from slight to somewhat steep..4 wheel is nice but will he have the HP for power to pull it out..i just would not want to see any major damage done...there are variables to everything.just my opinion i would recommend against trailering 4-5 thousand pounds....
I'm with you on this Joe.....wet ramp, variable ramp steepness, type of tires????.......potential disaster, don't think I'd risk it :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts