Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everybody, just though I would share some things I learned (and re-learned) today. I decided to go out today and check out the river today and cruise some fire roads by myself (first mistake).

Wasn't planning on anything crazy just exploring. then I saw a trail and thought it wasn't bad and decided to go play! It was a fun trail nothing to bad then I came to this

I got out checked the left side of the hole an it was only about 6in deep so no big deal so I dove in and the passenger side dropped and the driver side sunk. Big problems now and lockers aren't worth much when you tires aren't really touching anything. so me and my dog walked out and found somebody to help pull me out. So in summery here are some things I learned today.

1. DO NOT GO OUT ALONE
2. When going through a mud hole check the depth on the driver AND the passenger side
3. Emergency shovels are worthless when digging out a Jeep
4. Always carry more recovery gear than you think you need
5. Winches are a good idea (probably moved to the top of the mod list today)
6. I now officially NEED a lift and 35's(or 37's):D
7. It's kind of rewarding when a bunch of ATV's come upon you and are in shock that you made it so far down that trail :D
8. Don't forget to rinse out the frame rails after when hosing it down must have gotten 10lbs of sand out of there.

If you all have anymore advice or stories please add, always looking to learn and add to the mod list!

·
Premium Member
5,474 Posts
I didn't go offroad until I had a winch. But I'm a pansy. LOL

·
Registered
63 Posts
Too bad we're not closer! I've been looking for someone to go out with for awhile now. Haven't done much other than some small hunting trails.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Went wheeling with some buddies back in 1992 when I had my yj. 3in lift, 31 BFG's out in the Cali desert. Driving through a sandy wash, decided to stop and take a leak....yeah I know. Rookie move. So we aired down and threw it into 4 hi. Dug its self down to the frame! Spent the next 4 hours roaming around the desert looking for scrap wood, metal, anything really to make a road. Finally got it out :) Next payday went out and bought a Warn winch and a small shovel.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I didn't go offroad until I had a winch. But I'm a pansy. LOL
haha probably smart

Too bad we're not closer! I've been looking for someone to go out with for awhile now. Haven't done much other than some small hunting trails.
yeah that's pretty much what I have been doing, a buddy was supposed to go with me today but he keeps bailing gonna have to find more jeepers.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Went wheeling with some buddies back in 1992 when I had my yj. 3in lift, 31 BFG's out in the Cali desert. Driving through a sandy wash, decided to stop and take a leak....yeah I know. Rookie move. So we aired down and threw it into 4 hi. Dug its self down to the frame! Spent the next 4 hours roaming around the desert looking for scrap wood, metal, anything really to make a road. Finally got it out :) Next payday went out and bought a Warn winch and a small shovel.
ouch yeah that doesn't sound like to much fun, and yeah a winch is next on the list and I'm taking a full sized shovel next time I go out.

What? No picture of the stuck Jeep?
I know after I got unstuck I immediately regretted not taking more pictures just imagine my jeep a few feet further in and only the drivers side rear tire touching anything, it sunk so fast it was hard to believe.

·
Registered
156 Posts
It's best to take the sway bar off instead of disconnecting and tying the links up. A friend ran one of the links through the inside of his front tire. Lesson learned for me.

·
Administrator
41,911 Posts
Thanks! learned a little about its limits today and once again I really shouldn't go out alone
Good call, and thanks for sharing. It's not just the "I just installed a _____" threads that folks can lean from.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Good call, and thanks for sharing. It's not just the "I just installed a _____" threads that folks can lean from.
Yeah, That was kind of my goal, never hurts to learn helpful hints was hoping a lot more experienced individuals might jump in with tips and what not

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
....."good judgement is gained from experience.......experience is gained from bad judgement"..........

I walked a few times back from my own early Jeep experiences too....but the earth was still cooling and CJ2s roamed the planet.....winches were almost unknown and skinny tires ruled!!!

{skipping ahead a couple decades}....my 54 Willys Overland had 5.89 gearing that would crawl up anything.....despite knowing better and having succeeded in dry season, in wet season I drove into what the locals called "Swamp Bottom Spur".....had to walk then too. My rescuer burned out the motor in his hot rod 4x4 pick up.....being the kind of slow learner he was, he went to get his tractor. That got stuck. Now fully engaged, he ran after his BIG tractor.....and hauled everything out like a necklace of spendy but inert pot metal ingots....

He mentioned I shouldn't count on him helping again out anything soon.

But he DID hand me a shovel and said "Don't Call Me".

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
....."good judgement is gained from experience.......experience is gained from bad judgement"..........

I walked a few times back from my own early Jeep experiences too....but the earth was still cooling and CJ2s roamed the planet.....winches were almost unknown and skinny tires ruled!!!

{skipping ahead a couple decades}....my 54 Willys Overland had 5.89 gearing that would crawl up anything.....despite knowing better and having succeeded in dry season, in wet season I drove into what the locals called "Swamp Bottom Spur".....had to walk then too. My rescuer burned out the motor in his hot rod 4x4 pick up.....being the kind of slow learner he was, he went to get his tractor. That got stuck. Now fully engaged, he ran after his BIG tractor.....and hauled everything out like a necklace of spendy but inert pot metal ingots....

He mentioned I shouldn't count on him helping again out anything soon.

But he DID hand me a shovel and said "Don't Call Me".

That is a great quote, I gained a little experience today, I may steal that if you don't mind. That must have been quite a sight all those vehicles getting pulled out, Ya gotta love Big tractors :thumb:

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
Whew, glad you got out okay. I go out alone a lot but thankfully, we don't get much mud here. If we did, I'd move...like I did from Kansas. :)

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Whew, glad you got out okay. I go out alone a lot but thankfully, we don't get much mud here. If we did, I'd move...like I did from Kansas. :)
Yeah, I wasn't sure I was going to get out the tahoe really struggled to get me out took about 30 mins. I used to like playing in the mud but my respect for it is growing quickly, but around here it is just a fun fact of life and I love it here in West Virginia to much to move if I don't have too :thumb:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts