Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well she let me down again. I was driving along and the tach hit zero and I lost all power. So let the trouble shooting begin...

To start with I check all the fuses and all were good. I checked all of my grounds and they all seemed tight. Then after some thought I decided to replace the crank position sensor which didn't do anything. So I had a friend come get me because it was cold and dark and I am gonna go try it again tomorrow. What do you think I should try first?

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
See if the connections on the battery are good, then check to see if battery has a charge. If not I would check the alternator.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
connections and battery are fine. It starts up fine if i let it sit for a minute. No chugging or slow start.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Just wondering, did you swap the 4.0 computer over? Almost sounds like a bad ECM

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did swap the 4.0L computer over. I wondered if it was the ECM too but I din't want to say those words because they are really expensive.

·
Registered
28 Posts
If I remember right there are a few relays in the relay box with fuses in the engine compartment. And there should be a start, run and fuel pump relays. back in the day ( when I turned wrenches ) i would see some corrosion on the terminals of these relays. Any time a Chrysler product had an intermittent problem I would check these relays first and the coil terminals ,then the crank sensor, then start to look at a fuel problem. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
553 Posts
I did swap the 4.0L computer over. I wondered if it was the ECM too but I din't want to say those words because they are really expensive.
You can pick up a used one for around $100

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If I remember right there are a few relays in the relay box with fuses in the engine compartment. And there should be a start, run and fuel pump relays. back in the day ( when I turned wrenches ) i would see some corrosion on the terminals of these relays. Any time a Chrysler product had an intermittent problem I would check these relays first and the coil terminals ,then the crank sensor, then start to look at a fuel problem. Hope this helps.
I will check these this afternoon when I go out to try and bring her home.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. I am heading out to try and see if I can't bring it home.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts