Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help a noob out. Went out with a jeep club the other day and quickly realized my tires are the weak point. Just bought a 2012 wrangler sport with the 17" alloys. This is a daily driver and I have a Maine winter coming up quick. Current thoughts are 33" duratrac with black rims. I cannot decide between 15/16/17 wheel sizes. Can someone describe the pros and cons. I'm well aware that 15" will cost less, but are there other benefits? I don't ever see myself running greater than 35's for tires and that's a long ways away. I'll likely sell off my stock 17's wheels and tires. I looked though this forum and wasn't truly satisfied with the threads. There should be a sticky on this to help noobs decide. So what's the hive say on 15/16/17 options?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Wow 54 views and no one has a suggestion. Guess price is the only con

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
The wheel sizes question has been asked a bunch before. Basically, 15s give you more tire sidewall, which equates to a better ride. 17s have less sidewall which equates to better handling on the road. It's basically just a matter of looks too...as many people feel that more tire and less wheel looks better on a JK. It's very much up to what you want.

I wouldn't do 16s though because all the tires are "E" load range, with a few "D" options and the weight will destroy your gas mileage.

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
Smaller wheels will do a number of things for you: they'll save you $$ on tires, they'll provide a lighter tire/wheel combo, they'll give you a larger contact patch and a fatter sidewall.

In fact, the only reason NOT to go with smaller wheels, IMO, is if you don't like the look. Some don't.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts