Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 176 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have done some great trails this summer...more to come

Attachments

·
Registered
212 Posts
It is gods country. I love Colorado, and heading out there from Missouri in Sept. I did a motorcycle trip there in June. I wish I could find a great job out there, I would move in a minute.. Great shot of you pulling the Jeep..:D

Smitty

·
Registered
576 Posts
I wish I could find a great job out there, I would move in a minute..

Smitty
Just do it!!! The wife and I are planning to buy land there in our 5-year plan. We are in D.C. and can't wait to leave. We don't know where to buy some land, but it has to be withing 2 hours of Denver. We are hoping to get jobs that will allow us to Telework from our land and then drive in if necessary.

Anyway, Great PICS!!!

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Been here for a few years now....moved from Kansas City. Best. Decision. Ever. Wasted too many years...should have done it earlier. I like the fact that in general, people are also more laid back here.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Lived in Az for 20 years, moved to Florida 3 years ago, now all I can think about is getting back west, and would love to move to Colorado.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Since the thread is titled I love Colorado, how many of you just up an moved?

I am in the greater Seattle area with a 300kish home paid for. I hate my house, hate Seattle, but love not having a house payment. I was in Colorado last summer on a dual sport trip and made up my mind to buy a new Wrangler, still working on that, and maybe move to Colorado. I checked out houses in April this year and met up with a WF member who is a real estate agent. Housing is pretty pricey but the job market appears good for accountants. I wasn't taken too seriously a job applicant because I hadn't yet moved. I don't want to move until I have a job.

So for those who posted who have moved, did you have a job first? For those who "are going to move," are you just going to throw everything into a covered wagon and go west? I am sure I can make it work but don't want to give up the security I currently have. Curious as to which approach others have taken.

NC

·
Registered
199 Posts
Depending on where you want to live...it can be very expensive.

Monument and Castle Rock - average house with @2500 Sq. Ft = $250-400 on average. Much higher for a huge, nice house on acreage. Nice rural feel in areas. I'm on a 1 acre very heavily wooded lot in Monument and love it.

Denver - all over the map. South in Littleton, Highlands Ranch, etc. about the same as Monument. Denver central cheaper, older neighborhoods. If you go north of Denver around Longmont and Erie, it gets cheaper again. Back on the plains with little/no trees or hills until you get close to the foothills.

One thing as well to think about: Colorado has had major draughts for the past 10+ years. The fires of the last two summers will impact home insurance rates or ability to even get it at some point. Make sure you do your homework.

Now onto something much nicer: Colorado ROCKS!

·
Registered
545 Posts
Off Roading in CO

There are two good books to have for CO. They are called Guide to Colorado Backroads & 4-Wheel-Drive Trails by Charles Wells & Matt Peterson. The other one is called the same but is for Northern CO. You can pick them up at Amazon.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Since the thread is titled I love Colorado, how many of you just up an moved?

I am in the greater Seattle area with a 300kish home paid for. I hate my house, hate Seattle, but love not having a house payment. I was in Colorado last summer on a dual sport trip and made up my mind to buy a new Wrangler, still working on that, and maybe move to Colorado. I checked out houses in April this year and met up with a WF member who is a real estate agent. Housing is pretty pricey but the job market appears good for accountants. I wasn't taken too seriously a job applicant because I hadn't yet moved. I don't want to move until I have a job.

So for those who posted who have moved, did you have a job first? For those who "are going to move," are you just going to throw everything into a covered wagon and go west? I am sure I can make it work but don't want to give up the security I currently have. Curious as to which approach others have taken.

NC
We have talked about how "hard" it will be to just up and move. The move itself won't be hard as we have moved ourselves (That's right, no moving company yet) 3 times in the past 6 years. The major thing however will be a major pay cut. We will have to stay on top of not accumulating too much credit so when the time comes, we aren't tied down and can just up and leave.

The first thing we would like to do is buy some land in CO and then head off to work a season at Mcmurdo Station in Antarctica. We've both deployed when we were AD so this will be a piece of cake lol.

The next step is key to our success. We will need to get jobs that can be done from online. My wife teleworks twice a week from home here in D.C. and she loves it. I on the other hand am a Systems/Network Engineer builing networks, servers, and such. I don't know how I'll find a teleworking job yet, but I'll make it work. As long as we are comfortable taking a pay cut to start enjoying life a little sooner, we'll be fine. The other nice part about teleworking is that if we wanted to go visit family for 2 months, we could pack up and work from their place.

I think the biggest part about a change like this is that you really can't keep up with the joneses. I see people all the time doing it. I could go out and get a BMW if I wanted to, but for what??? I think the last straw here will be the people's attitude... Everyone is so hateful here. I have seen more road rage here in the past 6 months than in my entire life. Everyone in Colorado was so nice to us when we went.

OK... I might've slid off topic a little there. :D

·
Registered
47 Posts
I was in Colorado last year for the Colorado 500 charity offroad motorcycle ride. Specifically Aspen to Crested Butte to Gunnison to Ouray. It was awesome and I spent the whole week thinking of how I wanted to relocate. I talked to a few guys on the ride who did just that after riding there a few years prior. They all said that they moved to Colorado to enjoy the outdoors more. To slow down and enjoy life. Some from La La land, a guy from NJ and a couple Texicans. All were very happy they did it, but they also said that the grass aint always greener. All said they work alot more now than they did before and are finacially down compared to where they were prior to the relocation. They also said that you need to experience winter in the Rockies before you take the plunge. They said they have all seen people move out there from where ever USA and move away after one winter in the mountains. Its only summer for a few months, if you are lucky, in the Rockies. I stayed put and now spend a week out there every summer, wheeling and riding. Oh and if you want to experience really rude hateful people, ride your dual sport bike down Black Bear into Telluride. All of them must have sticks strategically placed somewhere in their anatomy! Ouray on the other hand is just plain awesome. Great people, great riding or wheeling, good taverns, and good food.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Good points. I agree on the BMW thing. I am even trying to get rid of my Mustang to get a JK. I lose all that performance I'll never use but gain a vehicle I can appreciate day in and day out.

I would miss the lakes/rivers of the PNW but Seattle is for the birds.

NC

We have talked about how "hard" it will be to just up and move. The move itself won't be hard as we have moved ourselves (That's right, no moving company yet) 3 times in the past 6 years. The major thing however will be a major pay cut. We will have to stay on top of not accumulating too much credit so when the time comes, we aren't tied down and can just up and leave.

The first thing we would like to do is buy some land in CO and then head off to work a season at Mcmurdo Station in Antarctica. We've both deployed when we were AD so this will be a piece of cake lol.

The next step is key to our success. We will need to get jobs that can be done from online. My wife teleworks twice a week from home here in D.C. and she loves it. I on the other hand am a Systems/Network Engineer builing networks, servers, and such. I don't know how I'll find a teleworking job yet, but I'll make it work. As long as we are comfortable taking a pay cut to start enjoying life a little sooner, we'll be fine. The other nice part about teleworking is that if we wanted to go visit family for 2 months, we could pack up and work from their place.

I think the biggest part about a change like this is that you really can't keep up with the joneses. I see people all the time doing it. I could go out and get a BMW if I wanted to, but for what??? I think the last straw here will be the people's attitude... Everyone is so hateful here. I have seen more road rage here in the past 6 months than in my entire life. Everyone in Colorado was so nice to us when we went.

OK... I might've slid off topic a little there. :D

·
Registered
129 Posts
Just want to chime in on the network engineer telework thing since that's my trade. If you don't mind travel, work for a VAR. My boss is in AK, I live in WA and mostly work from home. Travel for projects maybe 25%. I have my CCIE so am very employable but I love the var life. New projects every few weeks/months, travel, relax when I'm not on a projects.

Btw-I don't know why Seattle sucks? I live in Bellevue and think its nice for a city. I moved from Tahoe and miss that like crazy, but the Seattle area sure isn't horrible in my book.

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
nice pics !!

·
Registered
219 Posts
Lived in Az for 20 years, moved to Florida 3 years ago, now all I can think about is getting back west, and would love to move to Colorado.
You guys are killing me with this thread. I've been desperate to move to CO for nearly a decade, but my wife doesn't want to be so far away from her family. I've lived in FL for all but 3 of my nearly 40 years on this planet and can say it's a miserable place to be. It's hot and humid for 9 months out of the year, the people are rude and self absorbed, and no one speaks English (at least here in Orlando).

You can have the beaches and Mickey Mouse, all I want is some mountains. The few times I've been out to CO for work I've smiled ear to ear the whole time.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Been going to Colorado all my life... live next door... always wanted to move there but never have... I do visit Colorado 4-6 + times a year though....
:thumb:

close to Animas Forks.

playing in the water hole, which I have only seen empty once... at the bottom of Poughkeepsie Gulch

Lake Como

Pearl Pass...

Lead King Basin

Crystal Mill

Schofield Pass...

So Much to see and do...

·
Registered
219 Posts
Beautiful pics man! I'm going to keep this thread subbed so I have a list of places to visit next time I'm there. Only place I've been to is the Garden of the Gods by CO Springs and I'm not even sure if you can wheel out there.

·
Registered
576 Posts
You guys are killing me with this thread. I've been desperate to move to CO for nearly a decade, but my wife doesn't want to be so far away from her family.
That is something the wife and I talked about. But, if we are successful in finding "nomadic" type jobs, it shouldn't be too much of a problem as we could just drive out and live with the rents for a month or so.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I think this is a great thread BTW. Post up some more pics and details.

1 - 20 of 176 Posts