Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2016 2-door Wrangler Black Bear which I love and I had a 2002 Wrangler X that was a lot of fun. However I miss the plain metal painted dashboard from my old CJ5. When you were siting in that vehicle you knew right away that you were in a Jeep. I realize that due to safety concerns that a dashboard like that is no longer possible but Ill take it over the present day dashboard any day.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
Right there with ya. The metal dash is what I miss the most from the old jeeps. It made a statement.

·
Super Moderator
10,613 Posts
I like where you are going with this!

I agree. That would add a nice touch to a vehicle like Wrangler.

There are ways to bring the exterior color inside; airbags and all.

Here are some recent examples.

2004 Chrysler PT Cruiser

2015 Mazda Miata

MINI

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
That's one of the reasons why I recently traded in my JK on a GMC Canyon and am in the process of buying back my '82 Scrambler. I thought the dash in my '03 Rubicon was too fancy and much harder to clean than the old CJ dash. The JK took that a giant step further with its car-like dash.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Couldn't agree more. Hopefully with the next version they do the big speedo in the middle again. People who don't like it can use the digital speedo in the evic. Give us some old school guages on a steel dash.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Couldn't agree more. Hopefully with the next version they do the big speedo in the middle again. People who don't like it can use the digital speedo in the evic. Give us some old school guages on a steel dash.
Having gauges in the middle is horrible, it's usually just a way for manufacturers to half-ass the dash to make it easy to do left and right hand drive versions. And you'll never see a metal dash in a modern car ever again, that's gone for good.

If you like shitty interiors buy something old. The Jeep is going to continue to move forward.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Good god, that PT Cruiser is horrid. That is only slightly better than a Pontiac Aztec. Please...never show it again. There could be children on this board for Petes sake.

2004 Chrysler PT Cruiser

2015 Mazda Miata

MINI

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Having gauges in the middle is horrible, it's usually just a way for manufacturers to half-ass the dash to make it easy to do left and right hand drive versions. And you'll never see a metal dash in a modern car ever again, that's gone for good.

If you like shitty interiors buy something old. The Jeep is going to continue to move forward.
The Wrangler exterior is still special. The interior is like every other car on the road.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
I'm sure soccer moms prefer the cushy new Wrangler interiors. Some of us believe the interiors started taking giant leaps backward beginning with the YJ. The newer interiors just don't lend themselves to Jeeping without doors or tops on dusty and dirty backcountry trails as much as the CJs did...not to mention the fact that going without a windshield is virtually impossible in a JK (HUGE fun-factor deduction there). The materials, shapes and angles on modern, car-like Jeep interiors make cleaning very difficult. The intricate computers and electronics probably don't like dust either. I'm constantly amazed at the huge number of people I see on the trails riding totally encapsulated in their JKs...without even a single power window down. I usually flash them a dusty grin. I'm certain Chrysler will continue moving in the wrong direction.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
I'm sure soccer moms prefer the cushy new Wrangler interiors. Some of us believe the interiors started taking giant leaps backward beginning with the YJ. The newer interiors just don't lend themselves to Jeeping without doors or tops on dusty and dirty backcountry trails as much as the CJs did...not to mention the fact that going without a windshield is virtually impossible in a JK (HUGE fun-factor deduction there). The materials, shapes and angles on modern, car-like Jeep interiors make cleaning very difficult. I'm constantly amazed at the huge number of people I see on the trails riding totally encapsulated in their JKs...without even a single power window down. I usually flash them a dusty grin. I'm certain Chrysler will continue heading in the wrong direction.
There is nothing that inhibits going topless/doorless in a JK. It might take more time to clean but that's it.

As for the windshield, I could care less. I'll never do it because driving like that sucks. Did it several times on a friends YJ when we were younger. Awful on the road, on trails all you get is more heat from the engine and fumes from the guy in front. Plus you get filthy. I like wheeling but getting yourself covered in mud is some stupid kid crap.

The Jeep can never go back to a CJ, no one would buy it. Everyone loves to say they want some back to basics truck, sports car or 4x4 but manufacturers are smarter than that. They know that if they actually rolled the dice and built that, it would never sell.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
I'm sure soccer moms prefer the cushy new Wrangler interiors. Some of us believe the interiors started taking giant leaps backward beginning with the YJ. The newer interiors just don't lend themselves to Jeeping without doors or tops on dusty and dirty backcountry trails as much as the CJs did...not to mention the fact that going without a windshield is virtually impossible in a JK (HUGE fun-factor deduction there). The materials, shapes and angles on modern, car-like Jeep interiors make cleaning very difficult. The intricate computers and electronics probably don't like dust either. I'm constantly amazed at the huge number of people I see on the trails riding totally encapsulated in their JKs...without even a single power window down. I usually flash them a dusty grin. I'm certain Chrysler will continue moving in the wrong direction.
folding the windshield isn't that difficult. Sure it's no flip the two levers and fold it down easy, but there's nothing particularly difficult about the procedure. It's a blast. And a huge conversation starter.

·
Registered
837 Posts

So hard to clean the interior on my JK. This is why i have the top on on ALL wheeling trips and only take it off to cruise up the coast. Even then its soo dusty and hard to clean all the nooks and crannies....

Dont get me started on CARPET in a CONVERTIBLE MUD ROAMING JEEP! :(

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
So hard to clean the interior on my JK. This is why i have the top on on ALL wheeling trips and only take it off to cruise up the coast. Even then its soo dusty and hard to clean all the nooks and crannies.... Dont get me started on CARPET in a CONVERTIBLE MUD ROAMING JEEP! :(
you know that carpet comes out right?

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Mike-D: If you and your friend drove without a windshield on the road, you were both truly guilty of stupid kid crap, as you say. I've spent countless hours through the years cruising the canyon trails around Moab with the windshield down...and, by the way, never got splattered by a single drop of mud. It's a desert thing, you wouldn't understand. Driving on the trails with the windshield up is what sucks, which is, in large part, why I just got rid of my JK. You are right in saying that a basic vehicle like the CJ would not sell today...because, sadly, most people prefer comfort over practicality and seldom take their 4x4s off the road anyway.

·
Registered
671 Posts

2004 Chrysler PT Cruiser
2015 Mazda Miata
MINI
It's no coincidence that those are 3 very effeminate vehicles.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Mike-D: If you and your friend drove without a windshield on the road, you were both truly guilty of stupid kid crap, as you say. I've spent countless hours through the years cruising the canyon trails around Moab with the windshield down...and, by the way, never got splattered by a single drop of mud. It's a desert thing, you wouldn't understand. Driving on the trails with the windshield up is what sucks, which is, in large part, why I just got rid of my JK. You are right in saying that a basic vehicle like the CJ would not sell today...because, sadly, most people prefer comfort over practicality and seldom take their 4x4s off the road anyway.

Comfort over practicality? What on earth is practical about a folding windshield?

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
folding the windshield isn't that difficult. Sure it's no flip the two levers and fold it down easy, but there's nothing particularly difficult about the procedure. It's a blast. And a huge conversation starter.
I commend you for dropping the windshield. It IS a blast. But removing 18 bolts at the trailhead (and reversing that procedure at the end of the trail) to avoid looking at the world through a picture frame is more than I wanted to deal with every time I went exploring.

Attachments

·
Registered
671 Posts
So hard to clean the interior on my JK. This is why i have the top on on ALL wheeling trips and only take it off to cruise up the coast. Even then its soo dusty and hard to clean all the nooks and crannies....

Dont get me started on CARPET in a CONVERTIBLE MUD ROAMING JEEP! :(

take the carpet out and don't buy the electronic options, and cleaning is simple, we cannot buy power door, windows and built in expensive radios and expect cleaning to be super easy.

That said a couple of beers later and I'm done cleaning.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I have a 2016 2-door Wrangler Black Bear which I love and I had a 2002 Wrangler X that was a lot of fun. However I miss the plain metal painted dashboard from my old CJ5. When you were siting in that vehicle you knew right away that you were in a Jeep. I realize that due to safety concerns that a dashboard like that is no longer possible but Ill take it over the present day dashboard any day.
After reading all comments to here i must say, I agree with your post 100%. I fail to see where you suggest jeeps should go back to it... anyway.
I also agree that one of the coolest things about Jeeps back then was practicality and convenience.
Unfortunately things can't go back, so thats a moot point. Heck I remember being 25 (19 years ago) driving my 47 CJ2-A and feeling great but "unsafe" to a certain degree with nothing but little sheet metal surrounding me and the only cushion I had was under my rear (about an inch and a half of raw foam)
Putting the windshield down on the trail, getting rained on and not worrying about water inside the jeep, it was all cool, but not the type of vehicle I would like my two sons to drive on the highways (or any road) now days, so yeah, trade offs I guess.
I think the center cluster is not just practical but safer (less distracting) and easier to read. I also think its great that the Mini continues to to that still and would have been great if wranglers had kept that as well.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts