Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:wavey: I have a 2010 Jeep 4 door. (JKU?) The key has buttons on it to unlock/lock the doors, and probably a chip in it for starting. What I want is just a key that will open the doors, but NOT start the Wrangler. Is there such a key?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had one made at my local hardware store...(Ace). It will start the jeep, but the it will only run for 5 seconds.

·
Bazinga!
1,180 Posts
^^^ yeah just make a regular hardware store copy, it will open the doors.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I had one made at my local hardware store...(Ace). It will start the jeep, but the it will only run for 5 seconds.
X2...
exept, i tried Ace hardware n they wouldnt do it... said something about liability issues n not being able to copy a chipped key...
ended up goin to home depot n they copied it onto a regular key...
i only use mine to open the glove box n center council when driving...

·
Registered
4,768 Posts
Lowes did mine and I took a heavy hammer and busted off the cheap plastic head so it would fit into my wallet. I think it was $1.99

·
Premium Member
4,934 Posts
I had one made by the dealership in Florida when I was on vacation there and had to have an oil change done. They didn't charge me for it. He did tell me though that if I tried to start the jeep with it that it would disable the ignition and only the dealer would be able to get it back from that state. That would mean being towed to the dealer. So, he told me to never try and start the jeep with it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts