Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,
I need to get one of my wheels off the ground to check a few things. My floor jack isnt tall enough. From the looks of the factory jack, it appears to lift from the axel. Is this a safe place to lift and support with a jack stand?
Thanks,

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
I lift mine from the axle to jack it up but then place the jack stands under the frame

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
you should still be fine for checking stuff I just personally would avoid crawling under it. I got my jack stands from harbor freight for 50 bucks on sale they have come in handy.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Steel Jack Stands

Just looked and they are on sale now (altho they may be one of those items that are always on sale idk). (I have the 6 ton ones).

·
Registered
594 Posts
I stack 2x6s under jack stand to raise jack stand be sure to block wheels on end you are not lifting

·
Administrator
41,912 Posts
Well you could do what they did with the old Willys Jeeps in WWII

Just kidding, jacking from the axle is fine. Just make sure you have the e-brake on and have blocks in front and back of a tire thats staying on the ground.

·
Registered
6,202 Posts
my axle smacks rocks all day, as far as I am concerned it is the best place to jack. even with stock suspension it would take a very tall jack to get a wheel off the ground when jacking from the frame

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Axle jacking worked like a champ. I could even get my jackstand under there. When I looked in the useres guide, thats where it TELLS me to jack it from.

So I checked 9 - 3 oclock play... none, I checked 12 - 6 oclock play none... I let it down, loosened the lug nuts, raised it back up poped the wheel off. Found mud and rocks stuck between the brake rotor and metal sheild guard thing. Brushed them out. Then I rebalanced the wheel/tire with some simple green and a garden hose. Put it back on, and NO MORE SQUEAL! Still kinda shook some, so I parked in the driveway, and tried to rebalance the other 3 wheels with simple green and a garden hose as well. I should be good now!

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
The axle holds the entire weight of the vehicle. I always put the jack under the axle and the only time I put a jack stand under the frame (instead of under the axle) is when I'm pulling the axle out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts