Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my 2011 Jeep JK Sport new about a year ago. I just got back from Afghanistan and finally have the money to work on it. I just got my 3.25" Rough Country Suspension lift and need advice on wheels and tires, I want to put 35s on it but don't know where I should go to get them and the correct names for the sizes I need. I also heard that if I put 35s on then I will need to get new gears, is that true? Thanks for the help guys

·
Registered
937 Posts
johnjames460 said:
I bought my 2011 Jeep JK Sport new about a year ago. I just got back from Afghanistan and finally have the money to work on it. I just got my 3.25" Rough Country Suspension lift and need advice on wheels and tires, I want to put 35s on it but don't know where I should go to get them and the correct names for the sizes I need. I also heard that if I put 35s on then I will need to get new gears, is that true? Thanks for the help guys
It would probably be good if you at least had 3.73's... I'll tell you the perfect rim/tire combo: 17" AEV Pintlers in argent wrapped in KM2's (285/75/17)... I'd post pics, but this site blows; keeps crashing when i try to add pics... My buddy has 35's on his '12, and he only has 3.21's...He's a mechanic and says it's fine.

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
I just put 35" duratracs on my '09 a week ago after running 33" with 3.73's for 2 years. You don't need to regear, but it will bring back the acceleration and gas mileage. With that being said, mine is going in the shop Monday for 5.13's and lockers.

I'd worry about the gears after you drive it with 35's for a while.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I'm a fan of AEV products and have their 3.5 SC suspension on my '13 JKUR. I did quite a bit of comparison for wheels and tires over the last six months and it came down to BFG or Goodyear. I've also run both makes with good success. In the end I opted for the Goodyear Duratracs (315/70/17) based on my current daily driving and the AEV Pintlers. Since you already have a lift I suggest you get the AEV Procal module ($149 at Quadratec) to reset your speedo, gearing, etc on the Jeep computer. The attached pic is from last weekend after I mounted the new shoes and was making final adjustments on the suspension. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions as I just got back from that Afghanistan myself. FYI, I'm going to post more pics this weekend of the first set of mods I've made.

Attachments

·
Registered
185 Posts
Two things are missing from this post. What gears do you have now and auto or manual. If you have 3.73 and a manual it is functional. If you live in a hilly area you may only use 6th gear on long flats and down hill. If you have the auto you will want to get deeper into your power band.

·
Registered
132 Posts
The_Chief said:
Deuce, he'll only be off a few mph...he doesn't need to blow his dough on a procal...
He will be out more than a few, get the procal, it does more than just speedo corrections.

·
Registered
937 Posts
12JKSP said:
Procal will help with more than speedo corrections
No more than 3 mph off... Plus, if the dealer ever has to do diagnostics, he'll need to re-flash...pain in the ass...just do the speed limit and all is good.

·
Registered
873 Posts
You need to make sure you have at least a dana 44 in the rear, if not on the front also. If you got a dana 35 it would fail in a matter of time.
His 2011 JK came with a Dana 44 in the rear unless Jeep decided to sneak a few off the assembly line without. Unless I missed it, Jeep doesn't make a JK without a D44 rear end. Apart from that, pretty much every part will fail if you work it hard enough, long enough.

Whether you re-gear depends on how you drive, where you drive and what compromises you're willing to accept. Running gearing that keeps you out of your power band during most of your driving won't be optimal, but it's workable if you have other priorities for your money.

As for your wheels and tires...come on, boss. As a fellow Soldier, I expect you can get up to speed on that fairly quickly using the plethora of data kindly posted by the members of this forum. That said, I personally like 15 inch wheels - lighter wheels, lighter tires, less money = less work for your engine and your wallet. Most any 15 inch that fits on the JK is going to have enough back spacing to run 35 inch tires in their common 12.5 inch width.

Any chance you're back on the East Coast? Seems a bunch of folks from my part of the world just came back from A-stan.

·
Premium Member
4,392 Posts
Thanks for all the help guys. So in order to run 35s, what are the exact dimensions for wheels and tires?
Any diameter wheel as long as its 15" or greater and 9" or so wide

1 - 14 of 14 Posts