Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently took my 2015 Jeep Wrangler Sahara in for service to clear a thermostat rationality code on the dash. The service department replace the thermostat and a radiator which they said was cracked.

Here is where the problem starts. The very next day my Jeep breaks down so I have to get it towed back to the dealership. Service rep tells me it’s a water pump now. A week goes by and now they are saying it’s a cracked engine block.
Should the service department of tested the water pump when the original work was done to prevent this? Am I screwed here or is the service department at fault here?

Any advice would be appreciated, Jeep is still at the dealership going on week two. I expect a call soon.

·
Super Moderator
11,951 Posts
Welcome to the Forum Wav821,

Good Luck, L.M.

Reactions: Wav821

·
Registered
4,747 Posts
It's a Fiat thing, the transmission will fail next.

·
RETIRED MODERATOR
80,149 Posts
Welcome to the Forum, from Cave Creek AZ.

·
Registered
295 Posts
That is strange and NO it's not a FIAT thing.
However, 2012 has the worst engine block amongst the bunch of year models.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
In order to be able to diagnose a "cracked engine block" the engine needs to be disassembled, like all of it.
Even though not all cracks are visible to naked eye.
Any overheating events before the repair?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
In order to be able to diagnose a "cracked engine block" the engine needs to be disassembled, like all of it.
Even though not all cracks are visible to naked eye.
Any overheating events before the repair?
No over heating issues before they did the thermostat and radiator.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
No over heating issues before the dealership did the thermostat and radiator work.

I only learned it might be a cracked block when I was in the process of negotiating for a new vehicle. I was trying to get a better trade in value when the sales guy decided to see what he could do and went back to the service department to inquire.

Basically the sales guy took back the quote for my trade in. Which you can guess floored me to put it nicely. Oh before anyone asks the dealership inspected and gave me the quote knowing it was in their shop.

By a previous reply it sounds as if they can’t know it’s a crack till they disassemble. Which makes it even more baffling.

I honestly think the service department screwed up. I’ll update the post when I get more information. Doesn’t look good right now.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
They might suspect a crack but the symptoms of a cracked engine block, head or blown head gasket are very similar.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
They might suspect a crack but the symptoms of a cracked engine block, head or blown head gasket are very similar.
Thanks for the replies...Yeah... I will hear the bad news soon enough all I know is the sales guy took 3000 off the trade in value.

·
Grumpy Old Guy
3,564 Posts
Tell them to prove what the issue is.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Tell them to prove what the issue is.
Thanks, for the response...I’m still waiting on a call about the status of the work. Definitely going to be frustrated unless they make it right. I am going to try to keep calm when they do contact me. I keep hoping they will do me right since I have been a long time customer and all the maintenance was done by the dealership.

I was in the process of buying a 60000 dollar truck when they pulled these shenanigans. Over 3 grand they lost the sale. I just don’t get it unless they are really hurting that badly.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Does anyone know if it’s allowed to post the dealership information to these forums. Just to warn others of their practices. Also does anyone have a way to reach out to corporate? I know I should wait to contact, but as the days go by my frustration is mounting.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts