Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey i am looking to buy a 97 tj with the straight six and 175,xxx miles. Its got new 36 irok swampers, and upgraded 8.8 rear axle with the 4.56 gear ratio. The front is on the 3.73 ratio still. I am wondering how much money and labor it would take to have the front regeared to 4.56? Any help is appreciated! Thanks.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Make sure you don't use 4wd until you regear! :) First off, what is the transmission. Auto or manual. For 36" tires you will probably want lower gearing, somewhere closer to 5.13 depending on transmission. As far as price, it really depends. Figure a few hundred for gears and a few hundred for labor, so really anywhere from like $400-800. It really depends on location though.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
4.88 is as low as a D30 will go. The real question is what other half assed stuff does the jeep have going on besides half a regear on 36.....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well i know not to use the 4x4 and the guy actually took out the front drive shaft for now because of that. Its a manual 5 spd and im going to stick with the 4.56 because it helps with the gas mileage. When he re-did the rear axle he did a complete rear end rebuild and its very nice not half assed. He said he just never got around to re-doing the front end. Im not looking to do a full front end rebuild just upgrade to the 4.56. I live in NC if that helps.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Incorrect gear ratio will not help your Milage, it will hurt it. It will only help it if you are at highway speeds going downhill. Any other times you will be forcing the engine to work harder than normal, reducing your gas Milage. Of course its your call and it won't hurt anything to keep the higher gearing, just giving you some info :wavey:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts