Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys, I know the rules lol. Search first and use what you find. I've searched here, razr forums, saw diagrams, and Google is tired of me already... I need an honest, straight forward, do this not that answer. I am purchasing a 50" eyourlife bar and two 18 watt spots. The install will be focused on the windshield real estate. Would've Already done it but I just had to research everything and mess up my head. I have plenty of experience with wiring stuff like crazy (before I went career, I was a volunteer ff and my truck put dps to shame) so I know how to wire. My problem is I would always wire my lights just using a switch and inline fuse. Clean it all up and make it look good and that's it, jobs done. But NOW ppl are talking about relays and other stuff so I did some research. I don't want to buy a pre-made harness cuz I like doing things myself as a hobby. So guide me pleassse. I want two different switches. Do I need a relay for both light groups or just the light bar? If I use a relay, do I still need 20 amp switches? Should I use terminal blocks and power distributors and fuse blocks(and blah blah blah) in case I want to add more later? Do I even need relays? Do the switches need to he connected with big wires (14+) or little wires (20)? OOOORRRR am I just overthinking the crap out of this project.... I stayed up till 3 am last night just looking at different stuff that I THINK I will NEED. Please put my worries to rest lol.

·
Registered
898 Posts
If you were up until 3 a.m. researching this online then you very well may be overthinking it.

YES, you need relays!

Quality lighting products will ship with the harness and instructions.

Others here will likely have installed the very same components that you are considering installing, so a specific question on the forum will likely lead to the specific answer that you need.

·
Administrator
16,988 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
If your not tying into the OEM wiring harness anywhere (running directly to the battery) then you don't need relays, as long as your switches are rated to the correct amperage. Your 18 watt ones will draw 1.5 amps each and I think the 50" is about 288 watts so it will draw 24 amps, just make sure you put an inline fuse in for each switch as close to the battery as possible. If your using lighter switches (smaller micro switches) such as I used that were only rated to 6 amps then you would need to use a relay, I used relays on all of my light bars but not on my strobes or backup lights as they were only drawing about 4 amps.

As for the wiring this chart will help you out.

·
Vendor
6,014 Posts
Ok guys, I know the rules lol. Search first and use what you find. I've searched here, razr forums, saw diagrams, and Google is tired of me already... I need an honest, straight forward, do this not that answer. I am purchasing a 50" eyourlife bar and two 18 watt spots. The install will be focused on the windshield real estate. Would've Already done it but I just had to research everything and mess up my head. I have plenty of experience with wiring stuff like crazy (before I went career, I was a volunteer ff and my truck put dps to shame) so I know how to wire. My problem is I would always wire my lights just using a switch and inline fuse. Clean it all up and make it look good and that's it, jobs done. But NOW ppl are talking about relays and other stuff so I did some research. I don't want to buy a pre-made harness cuz I like doing things myself as a hobby. So guide me pleassse. I want two different switches. Do I need a relay for both light groups or just the light bar? If I use a relay, do I still need 20 amp switches? Should I use terminal blocks and power distributors and fuse blocks(and blah blah blah) in case I want to add more later? Do I even need relays? Do the switches need to he connected with big wires (14+) or little wires (20)? OOOORRRR am I just overthinking the crap out of this project.... I stayed up till 3 am last night just looking at different stuff that I THINK I will NEED. Please put my worries to rest lol.
Here is a good diagram that I use to wire all of my lights. I don't have lot of LEDs so I run relays for all of my stuff.

As long as you use fuses and the correct gauge wire you'll be fine! If there is a chance you'll want to add more light or accessories, you can use a fuse block, but then again you can always add that later.

If you do decide to use a relay, you'd want two of them. One for each circuit. If you get switches capable of higher current then you won't need them.

Let me know if you have other questions!

-Ryan

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys, you put it all into perspective for me... Looks like I'll be using two relays just for uniformity...and that wire chart really cleared things up

1 - 6 of 6 Posts