Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i was at a light 10 minuets ago and my jeep wouldnt shift so i ofcourse threw my hazards on and had to push it around the corner, luckily some arizona folks were nice enough to help me around the corner. I had to start it in second and drive home, it shifts fine when its off and when its on it wont shift AT ALL. does anyone know what this is and how the heck i can fix it? im going to let it sit overnight but i dont think that will help at all.. so if anyone has any help please let me know.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Sounds like your slave cylinder went out. See if you have fluid leaking from your bell housing.

·
Registered
15 Posts
To check that you're going to have to look under the jeep and look at the bell housing, the bell housing is the part of the transmission that covers the clutch, it looks like this: Bell housing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, see if anything is leaking from that, (though I suggest that if you don't know what you are doing, find someone who does.) But before you do all of that, check to see if you have any clutch fluid. If you don't, go get some, it's only a few bucks. If that fixes your problem, then you might just have a leak in the line that goes to your clutch fluid. I had it for the longest time, and all I would have to do was fill up the clutch fluid more often than normal.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
To check that you're going to have to look under the jeep and look at the bell housing, the bell housing is the part of the transmission that covers the clutch, it looks like this: Bell housing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, see if anything is leaking from that, (though I suggest that if you don't know what you are doing, find someone who does.) But before you do all of that, check to see if you have any clutch fluid. If you don't, go get some, it's only a few bucks. If that fixes your problem, then you might just have a leak in the line that goes to your clutch fluid. I had it for the longest time, and all I would have to do was fill up the clutch fluid more often than normal.
okay so there was no fluid , does it matter what kind of fluid to put in there could i use master break fluid or does it need to be clutch fluid

·
Registered
15 Posts
I use master brake fluid for mine, so I think you should be good. Put the fluid in, wait a few minutes, and then drive it around some. You should feel the clutch starting to return to normal. Keep a close eye on it for the next couple of days. if you have to refill it again within a few days, you're going to need to get the line fixed. If it stays fine, for a while just make sure to notice the signs if shifting (especially into first gear) feels a bit stiffer, then fill it with fluid again.

·
Registered
499 Posts
if you read the cap for the clutch fluid, you'll know what to put in it, it says stamped into the plastic "use dot 3 brake fluid only".....just pointing out the obvious

·
Registered
7,219 Posts
hey this sounds all to familiar lol. im fixing this right now on my jeep, the internal slave cylinder has gone out and leaks all the fluid out. it sucks and if you dont work on your own stuff you will have to take it to a shop and they will have it just about all day if not all day, its about a 7 hour job...

·
Registered
451 Posts
draarong2004 said:
if you read the cap for the clutch fluid, you'll know what to put in it, it says stamped into the plastic "use dot 3 brake fluid only".....just pointing out the obvious
^^^Is there a reason to be like this? The guy came here for help... Would you like me to post a picture of my cap? It doesn't have anything on it... "just pointing out the obvious." but for the op, use dot 3 (regular brake fluid) and more than likely your slave went out. Always replace both the master and slave at the same time.

·
Registered
499 Posts
kboles89 said:
^^^Is there a reason to be like this? The guy came here for help... Would you like me to post a picture of my cap? It doesn't have anything on it... "just pointing out the obvious." but for the op, use dot 3 (regular brake fluid) and more than likely your slave went out. Always replace both the master and slave at the same time.
If pointing out the obvious is offensive to you I'm sorry, I've never seen a factory cap in all the years I've been working aroubd cars that didn't say it, aftermarket yes, but factory no

1 - 10 of 10 Posts