Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright so i have a 99 tj 4.0 automatic.... and lately when i go offroad, i have put into 4 low and heard a loud popping noise (sounds like gears slipping). The harder i push the gas the faster the popping is... I have read about how it will make that noise if you are turning as sharp as you can on a paved road, well i went in 4 feet of snow and turned the wheel maybe 40% of their capability and it still made the noise (tires were spinning). Iv checked axles and joints and everything is tight, iv also just kept making it pop with hope that it would break and id be able to find the source but nothing would break! Any thoughts????

Also it is a Rocky Mountain Edition, does anyone know what stock axles are on those editions?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Alright so i have a 99 tj 4.0 automatic.... and lately when i go offroad, i have put into 4 low and heard a loud popping noise (sounds like gears slipping). The harder i push the gas the faster the popping is... I have read about how it will make that noise if you are turning as sharp as you can on a paved road, well i went in 4 feet of snow and turned the wheel maybe 40% of their capability and it still made the noise (tires were spinning). Iv checked axles and joints and everything is tight, iv also just kept making it pop with hope that it would break and id be able to find the source but nothing would break! Any thoughts????

Also it is a Rocky Mountain Edition, does anyone know what stock axles are on those editions?
I can't help with the popping noise but the rocky Mountain edition jeeps came with the dana 44 rear and a dana 30 front. The rocky Mountain edition was only produced after 2003 so I don't think it applies to your 99.

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
When was the last time you replaced your axle u-joints? They might look tight, but the bearings could be dry or toast causing them to bind and click.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well it had rocky mountain down both sides of the hood so i assumed it was, and i havent sent i owned the jeep (which is about 9 months) the pooping noise clearly sounds like it is coming from the bottom middle....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts