Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

I Need New Tires! Opinions...

2K views 19 replies 13 participants last post by  TyPaine 
Lots of aggressive offroad tires are lacking in the ability to handle snow and ice on roads. Whatever tire you go with, make sure it has as many sipes in it as possible... sipes = good ice/snow/wet-road traction. No or few sipes means lots of sliding/slipping in such conditions.

The good news if you find a set of tires you like that have few or no sipes, many tire stores have tire siping machines that can cut the sipes into the tires for $10-15 per tire.

Here's another vote for the Goodyear Duratrac's. They have a nice aggressive A/T look, and are snow rated.
My MT/Rs are snow rated too but I will be the first to admit they would suck on roads that are slick from ice or snow. Being snow rated doesn't mean they are good on icy or snow-covered roads.

I looked at the MT/R's, and I couldn't find anywhere stating that they came with the mountain/snowflake symbol showing they meet severe snow service standards.
I'm on my third set of MT/Rs, two pre-kevlar and my present kevlar MT/Rs and all are M+S (Mud + Snow) rated. I don't think anyone said they were "severe snow" rated with the snowflake symbol. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.