Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I Drive a 2001 2.5l TJ (no power, I should have stuck with my guns and gotten the 4.0l) I guess you learn from your mistakes though... However! It has been upgraded with a 2 in. BB lift and 31" Super Swamper ltb's.. Eventually it will have a 6 in. long arm lift, probably a body lift, and 35's.. But I can't there until some ultimate upgrades :).. To get to the point though, I fight to get to 55 mph, the hills kill me, and the wind is just something that doesn't need to be discussed lol.. I have 2 options I'm thinking of doing..

Option 1:
New air intake
Hi-flow throttle body
Throttle body spacer
New headers
high flow catalytic converter
New exhaust

Option 2:
4.56/4.88 gearing

What I want to know, is which will help me out with getting to those higher speeds without having the pedal all the way to the floor, which is literally how I have to do it.. LITERALLY! I know that eventually I will do both Option 1 and 2.. But which should I do first..?

Thanks, Alex

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Option 2? Okay so if I'm going to regear then what should I go with.. thinking of the future.. 4.88's seems appealing.. But would that be too much with 31" tires?

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
i think option two would be best to get your gears and power back...do you have any bigger pictures of your jeep? you said you have a 2 inch BB and 31's and the reason i want to see some bigger pictures is cuz im thinking of running 31's too (but with rubicon coil springs) and i wanted to see how your rig looked with that setup...i saw the picture on the top left hand corner below your user name and from the small pic it looks good but i cant enlarge it so i was wonderin if u got any bigger ones...thanks man

·
Administrator
12,622 Posts
gears, the other stuff is mostly snake oil.... keep in mind your gas mpg may suffer with the 4.88's. But it should give you a boost in the right direction,

·
Registered
571 Posts
Recommend Option 1 First

I had an '01 SE with the 2.5L engine and a 5 speed stick. It got great gas mileage but not much on power until I added a Rock-It Air intake and filter from Turbo City in CA. I could not believe the immediate difference. And, my gas mileage increased by about 2 mpg. It was a quick fix and worked well. I even pulled a 1,700 pound tent camper with supplies and it would go on down the road. Of course when you get rid of the old air filter system and the sound baffling it will be louder but, with a soft top - who cares? We're used to the noise! It's not the perfect fix but it was well worth the $150 I invested. Just an idea but, for the long term the other guys are right.

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
thanks man...it looks great...i love swampers cuz they look so much bigger than what they really are...those look bigger than 31's...how loud are the swampers and how do they ride...maybe the only reason i wouldn't get swampers is cuz i've heard they wear fast...how are yours wearing...if the tread isn't wearing fast then i will prolly get a swamper!

·
Registered
28 Posts
I did some engine mods and got more out of my 4-banger. I Have a K&N cold air intake and a big bore 64mm throttle body and spacer ane i milled out my intake mantifold then put a cat back flowmaster exhaust on it and now i cruise at 80 mph- and i have an automatic! I shopped around and did all this real cheap! I now have way more power than before.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
bigjeep said:
thanks man...it looks great...i love swampers cuz they look so much bigger than what they really are...those look bigger than 31's...how loud are the swampers and how do they ride...maybe the only reason i wouldn't get swampers is cuz i've heard they wear fast...how are yours wearing...if the tread isn't wearing fast then i will prolly get a swamper!

I love how aggressive my tires look, and you are correct, they do look larger than 31's.. However, I do not particularly like them.. If you drive your jeep a lot like I do, on the highway that is, then they aren't so great.. They scare the crap out of me, if you're getting up in speeds and hit good bump, hold the steering wheel tight, cause they get kinda skittish.. I am sure I won't be buying them again.. I might even be willing to sell them, mine are about a month old, so I don't really know about tire wear yet, they're still pretty much brand new.. I heard they wear fast though..

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
lcpl Konicki said:
I did some engine mods and got more out of my 4-banger. I Have a K&N cold air intake and a big bore 64mm throttle body and spacer ane i milled out my intake mantifold then put a cat back flowmaster exhaust on it and now i cruise at 80 mph- and i have an automatic! I shopped around and did all this real cheap! I now have way more power than before.
::raises eyebrow:: hmmm, that sounds like everything in option one almost.. hmmm... cruising at 80 sounds real nice.. are you running a lift/larger tires?

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
alright cool...thanks, i will prolly go with bfg muds then cuz i do plan on driving it on the highway and i know several friends with bfg muds and they like them alot...and they still look aggressive...but with a clean look too

·
Jack Lives Here!!!
7,760 Posts
Go with Option 2. By the time you get done buying all that other stuff you are going to probably equal what you spent on the gears and you are only going to gain probably 15 HP. Gearing will make you more than happy with the 2.5.

And what Ratio you go with really depends on how long you are going to be on 31's. If you don't plan on going any higher stay with 4.56, but if you plan on kicking up to 35's etc.... fairly soon then go ahead and hook up the 4.88's. RPM's will be a little higher at cruising speed, but you will definitely have your 5th gear back.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So I'm pretty sure I'm going to do option 2.. I'll probably go with 4.56 gears, because in the future I'll plan on getting all new axles, all new everything.. including engine.. on a 1-10 scale how hard is a chevy 350 conversion from a 2.5l i4... Just out of curiousity..

1 - 20 of 25 Posts