Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Jeep has a 4" lift on it, and I can hardly get in and out of the thing. I am thinking of buying some nerf bars or something to help. What would be best for that big of a lift to make it easier to get in and out? I am leaning towards chrome ones as my wheels are chrome, but I don't know.

Thank you!

·
I luv bourbonz!
3,105 Posts
Where are you located? I'm selling some chrome bumpers and nerf bars that came off of my 04... no rust what so ever.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I suggest some rock guards with tubes, just use the tubes as a step. Best of both worlds.. just my .02. That's what I plan on doing when the funds arise

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Where are you located? I'm selling some chrome bumpers and nerf bars that came off of my 04... no rust what so ever.
I'm in north Alabama. I have a 2002 Wrangler Sahara edition so they would probably fit.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You can find some OEM side steps on ebay or junk yards or even better get a set of functional Rocker guards with an integrated rockbar / step...

I would advise against chrome nerfbars. They don't add anything except weight.

Something like this:

GenRight Jeep TJ Rocker Guards with bars

Do those make it easier to get in and out of? I cannot tell if the steps are lowered or not in the pic. I have the originals on there, but they don't help at all.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I suggest some rock guards with tubes, just use the tubes as a step. Best of both worlds.. just my .02. That's what I plan on doing when the funds arise

Do you have a link to what you are talking about? Sorry. I don't know what they look like.

·
Registered
6,886 Posts
If you off road and are looking for protection as well as steps, nerf bars are not going to provide protection. They are thin walled and will bend. Rocker armor with a step may serve both and there are a number of those available. Just depends on how strong you really need and want to spend. If all you want are a step, nerf bars will do.

Note, I have nerf bars (not out of need) but I don't think they really make it any easier to get in/out. Getting in I don't use them. Getting out, I do put my foot on them, more out of habit but don't need to. The down side, from my son getting in, toes rub on the tub when stepping on the bar and scratches the paint. Out, you are guarented to brush your pants leg and get whatever dirt on your pants.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you off road and are looking for protection as well as steps, nerf bars are not going to provide protection. They are thin walled and will bend. Rocker armor with a step may serve both and there are a number of those available. Just depends on how strong you really need and want to spend. If all you want are a step, nerf bars will do.

Note, I have nerf bars (not out of need) but I don't think they really make it any easier to get in/out. Getting in I don't use them. Getting out, I do put my foot on them, more out of habit but don't need to. The down side, from my son getting in, toes rub on the tub when stepping on the bar and scratches the paint. Out, you are guarented to brush your pants leg and get whatever dirt on your pants.
Thank you. I do not do any off-roading so that won't be an issue. I just have to grab on to the steering wheel every time I have to get it, and most of the time it seems I am doing a running jump just to get in. Getting out is not that big of a deal, but I am hoping there is something that will help me get in. Haha.

·
Registered
6,886 Posts
Do you have a link to what you are talking about? Sorry. I don't know what they look like.
Just google wrangler tj sliders. There are lots of manufactuers that offer rockers with steps.

I'm in north Alabama. I have a 2002 Wrangler Sahara edition so they would probably fit.
All TJ nerf bars will fit.

·
I luv bourbonz!
3,105 Posts
My wife currently uses the nerf bars to get in and out... but I'm getting rid of the 3" body lift and won't need them.

If you're willing to pay shipping or you want to come up to the Memphis area you can get the whole set... chrome bumpers and matching nerf bars $250.

Price them online then get back to me if interested.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My wife currently uses the nerf bars to get in and out... but I'm getting rid of the 3" body lift and won't need them.

If you're willing to pay shipping or you want to come up to the Memphis area you can get the whole set... chrome bumpers and matching nerf bars $250.

Price them online then get back to me if interested.

Thank you. They just don't seem to be any lower than the original ones I've got on there. I thought they made some that was lower to the ground. That is the style I'm looking for, but I don't know if that will help me with a 4" lift.

·
I luv bourbonz!
3,105 Posts
Yea... you probably want the ones that mount to the frame. those are a bit lower than these.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I bought Rampage step bars recently. My girlfriend noted that the step pad will be nice during the winter so she doesn't slip while getting in. I hadn't even thought of that; I just thought it looked cool. :)

They mount below the rubberized discs on the underside of the frame.

·
Banned
20 Posts
Stay away from nerd bars. They will take away ground clearance and in my opinion look dumb. Save up your cash for some rocker armor with a step incorporated into it.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Jessica08 said:
Thank you. I do not do any off-roading so that won't be an issue. I just have to grab on to the steering wheel every time I have to get it, and most of the time it seems I am doing a running jump just to get in. Getting out is not that big of a deal, but I am hoping there is something that will help me get in. Haha.
if you don't do any off roading why have a 4" lift?

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Jessica08 said:
It came like that. I just bought it in July.
if you wont be off roading it why buy a lifted one? why not buy a stock one that would handle better, get better mileage, and be easier to get in and out of.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts