Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need spare keys but dealership in Vancouver wants $85 to program and then $55 for each key. Can i program my keys myself or for less?

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
If you have 2 working keys already then yes...
Otherwise no you can't diy

·
Retired Moderator
100,727 Posts
:welcome: to the Forum..:wavey:

·
Registered
56 Posts
I got one key with my TJ. Went to a locksmith; he charged $75 to make a second including the key.
If your TJ is capable. I suggest you get a third Sentry Key and have it cut then associate it to your Jeep according to the manual. In this way If you loose one you can still make yourself a new one for a lot less money.

Oddball that I am, I have four keys. One I use and three in the safe. The old better safe thing. Funny thing is I have never lost a key in the going on sixteen years I have been driving her.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Your 04 had a chip. My 05 Rubicon did not. Then... at some point, they went back to chip keys.

I feel lucky, that I can go to Home Depot and get a key cut for less than $5!
Does anybody know why the manufacturer did a flip-flop on having chip keys?

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
If your TJ is capable. I suggest you get a third Sentry Key and have it cut then associate it to your Jeep according to the manual. In this way If you loose one you can still make yourself a new one for a lot less money.

Oddball that I am, I have four keys. One I use and three in the safe. The old better safe thing. Funny thing is I have never lost a key in the going on sixteen years I have been driving her.
I did the same thing with my JK..only have 3 keys. But this is the way it works. If you have it, you don't need it. If you don't have it, you need it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts