Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My TJ has a 1" body lift on it. When it was installed, my tech elongated the holes in the fan shroud to prevent interference from the fan; this gave me about 1/2" of shroud drop. It successfully prevented interference and everything was fine.

I just installed a new transmission mount. My old one was cracked and worn, and apparently it was sagging... because now that the new one is in place, my fan hits the bottom of the shroud. :banghead:

I know the bigger body lift kits sometimes include these nifty little brackets which allow you to lower your fan shroud (relative to the radiator). This is exactly what I'd like to find. However, I've only seen these on 2" and 3" body lifts. I only need to drop my shroud by one inch; if I drop it two inches, it'll just go from the fan hitting it on the bottom to the fan hitting it on the top.

Anybody know where I can find a 1" bracket set? So far my Googling has turned up nothing.

·
Premium Member
28,214 Posts
not sure who makes a one inch shroud lowering bracket, but how about a 1 inch motor mount lift to raise the fan up inside the shroud?

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
Just drill new holes 1" higher on the shroud. I did that since I had a few weeks between my BL and MML.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
how about a 1 inch motor mount lift to raise the fan up inside the shroud?
Well, I've already got a MML in there--it was part of the tummy tuck.

Just drill new holes 1" higher on the shroud. I did that since I had a few weeks between my BL and MML.
I initially passed on this idea, as the elongated holes I mentioned above butt up against the ribbing molded into the shroud. I figured the ribs would prevent me from doing this... but maybe they won't.

Tomorrow I'll remove the shroud from the Jeep and see what is possible.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I removed the fan and shroud today to see what could be done. As I mentioned, the holes had already been enlarged by my tech. Still, it looked like I might be able to get another 1/2" drop if I removed a few of the structural ribs... so I busted out the die grinder and started carving like it was a Thanksgiving turkey. :)

The job was a success: there is no more fan contact. For those of you reading along, I will point out that it would probably be a better option to lower the radiator itself (which would also lower the shroud since it attaches to the radiator) rather than just the shroud alone. FYI

1 - 7 of 7 Posts