Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hold be... Slide it up, put the 4 bolts through and done right? The hitch is SUPER tight on the frame. It is going on about 1/4 inch and that's it. Am I doing something wrong or did something change from 13 ( that I got it off of) to my 15?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No they are just really tight I had to use a dead blow mallet it to tap it into place really surprised me I thought it was going to be a five minute job and it took me like an hour no biggie though.
I tried to jack it into place, and that didn't seem to work. I took it easy though cause I didn't want to break anything. I'll take another stab tomorrow when it's not 9:30 pm :/

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
I tried to jack it into place, and that didn't seem to work. I took it easy though cause I didn't want to break anything. I'll take another stab tomorrow when it's not 9:30 pm :/
I put on a new one Saturday. It was tight but not that tight. I did not remove muffler or bumper. Followed instructions from a YouTube video. I used a 2x4 and jack to push muffler down a few inches to make space for the passenger side bolt to slide through. Some welds along top of Jeep frame made it tough. I had to use a bottle jack to push the passenger side up so I could get bolt in. Rest went on OK.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't see any clearance issues for the bolts them selves. The only problem I'm having is actually getting the hitch bracket on to the frame.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
I put two of them on, one on a 13 and one on a 14', both slid right up with no trouble.
I would use new grade 8 bolts if it were me, you can compromise the bolt if it was over torqued once before.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
These frames are robot welded.....Check and make sure there is no weld spatter in the area where the hitch fits...I found a few on mine and I had to grind em off.
If it's THAT tite, it might not hurt to run a grinder over it , Im not says grind the frame, just be sure its clean and burr free.
Also on mine I found that there was weld metal along the bottom seam the prevented the hitch from going UP far enough to get the bolts started...
This I ground down with a 4" grinder.
I dropped the muffler down out of the way so I had better access...If you have to
do this spray the rubber isolator with a little dish soap or WD-40 and use a big pair of slip joint pliers and it comes right off the metal hanger...
Good luck .... "BH"

·
Registered
242 Posts
I installed a take off from a 2015 Wrangler and had to use a dead blow hammer also. I don't know how they got if off the frame of the other Wrangler but there were not any marks of any kind on the hitch. Must be small differences, or burs, in the frames of different Wranglers.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts