Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just scratched my jk around the hard top putting the roof on in a truck, and it's pretty bad, the paint is chipped off. Anyone have any suggestions??
I've seen mopars paint and I am wondering if that would do the job.
For some reason I think I'm screwed with this one... check the images

Attachments

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
You could probably sand out the roughness and then use the Mopar touchup paint, and the only person that's going to really notice it is you.

·
Registered
898 Posts
It's probably always going to look like a repair unless you re-spray a large area, if not the whole top.

·
Registered
571 Posts
A little touch up paint and you're golden. Not like its a high gloss paint job on a Ferrari. Its a jeep top!

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
If it were me, I'd just fill in those scratches with touchup paint. I wouldn't even spray it, just use a tiny hobby paint brush and do a couple of coats to bring it back level with the undamaged ares.

Bummer that it happened, but like somebody else said, the only one who's going notice is you. If, on the other hand you try to sand and paint match and all that, you could make the repair a lot more noticeable than what you're dealing with now.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I use a black sharpie pen and it matches my top completely. Granted I have not done scratches as big as yours but it has done fine for chips and scratches around the freedom panels.

·
Registered
17 Posts
+1 on the touch up paint. I, myself have used a black sharpie to cover up scratches on black but it does seem to have a reddish tint to it that is noticeable enough to drive you nuts when you see it

·
Registered
386 Posts
^^ definitely use the official Mopar stuff. It has texture in it that matches perfectly. I got it in a little Metal bottle with a brush applicator but I think it comes in a spray paint as well. Other paint or black sharpie won't have the texture.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I'd Rhino-Line (or something similar) it.

That way it will be MUCH more durable in the future and this shouldnt happen again.

·
Registered
2008 Jeep Wrangler JK
395 Posts
400 grit to even it out, and a couple of passes with rattle-can touch up - no masking so it will blend in.

Reactions: JKinSC

·
Registered
88 Posts
Rita dye doesn't work...ask me how I know...

A sharpie does a good temporary job of covering, but will eventually wear/wash off. Plan on buying the MOPAR touch up paint for mine very soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
374 Posts
Like Retired-not-Dead said, 400 wet/dry sand paper to feather the sharp edges of the scratch. Do not mask off a square around the scratch or you will end up seeing the square once you pull the tape off. Blend the touch-up paint with the surrounding area. Bada-bing your done....until next time.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Go to autozone and buy the universal flat perfect match spray paint from dupli-color. It matches the hard top perfect. I use it to cover scratches. If the scratches are super deep then maybe you might want to buff them out, otherwise just spray paint them and be done.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts