Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2014 JKUR. It's become an extra vehicle for me and will see around 5,000 miles a year in Illinois. I just took advantage of some great Black Friday/Cyber Monday deals and have a RK 3.5 X Factor lift coming, Teraflex Big Brake kit, and Fuel Beast Wheels with 37" Mickey Thompson MTZs. 4wdparts had great closeout pricing on the tires and I got Discount Tire Direct to match the price. They were only $282 a tire so I thought why not.

I'm having Ace gussets put on the D44 but the more I read about 37s the more I'm starting to think I should change my order and back down to 35s. Too much research has me thinking my Rubicon is fragile and will shatter into pieces after hitting a pothole with my 37s. Thats a joke but am I really headed for axle and ball joint repairs just because I'm going with tires that are 20lbs more than 35s?

I'm in IL, we don't really have any rocks to play on, just some decent trails that I will hit 6 times a year if I'm lucky. I can afford repairs and upgrades but don't want my baby to become a money pit. So should I stick with the 37s?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I Paid $662 for the BBK from Krawl Off Road. Got everything except the wheels/tires from them and very happy.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Your big advantage is like mine, our Jeeps will sit in the garage more than anything. Hell I may not even get to 5000 in 1 year unless I start getting out more other than just going to work lol. I got the RK 3.5 X Factor with 37/13.5r18 Toyo MT's and really happy with the lift.

image-1785573698.jpg

·
Commercial Member
2,223 Posts
Truss it and put quality ball joints in it. Regear if you wish (gearing is very subjective with larger tires). You'll be fine. Sounds like a nice build.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Gears may be the issue, I've lost power with 35's. I know I'm crazy but I lost power and I got the chip to change when it shifted. I've gotten use to the lose but when I get a chance I plan on re-gearing just like I did with my TJ when I went from 31 to 33.

·
Registered
41 Posts
C gussets re-gear 5.13 running Mickey Thompson MTZ's 37" with Super Chips tuner and Dynatrac Ball Joints. You can truss and sleeve it too if you want.

·
Super Moderator
53,757 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok seems like ball joints and a truss are worth it. I've already ordered the Ace Engineering gussets, would there be any issue adding an Arctic Truss in with them? I'll probably do the Synergy ball joints. Thanks for the advice all.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Ok seems like ball joints and a truss are worth it. I've already ordered the Ace Engineering gussets, would there be any issue adding an Arctic Truss in with them? I'll probably do the Synergy ball joints. Thanks for the advice all.
Shouldnt be an issue to mix an Artec Truss and your C gussets. The truss will be between the spring perches and the c gussets will be out side of them. Go ahead and truss both front and rear axles. Folks will say the rear isnt as required as the front but if you want your jeep to last forever its worth the extra couple hundred bucks.

Ball joints I would suggest stepping up to Dynatrac. I (ab)use my jeep out here in Arizona on the rocks and havent had an issue with them yet. Others have had premature wear with just about every other brand. I know you said you will not be using it very much and not on rocks. My philosophy on buying tools and upgrade parts is to buy once and cry once. So get the strongest best parts that fit with your build and intended use so you only have to spend the money once and then do a little maintenance on it rather than having to spend bigger bucks multiple times on the same thing.

Lunatic Fridge

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have a 2014 JKUR. It's become an extra vehicle for me and will see around 5,000 miles a year in Illinois. I just took advantage of some great Black Friday/Cyber Monday deals and have a RK 3.5 X Factor lift coming, Teraflex Big Brake kit, and Fuel Beast Wheels with 37" Mickey Thompson MTZs. 4wdparts had great closeout pricing on the tires and I got Discount Tire Direct to match the price. They were only $282 a tire so I thought why not.

I'm having Ace gussets put on the D44 but the more I read about 37s the more I'm starting to think I should change my order and back down to 35s. Too much research has me thinking my Rubicon is fragile and will shatter into pieces after hitting a pothole with my 37s. Thats a joke but am I really headed for axle and ball joint repairs just because I'm going with tires that are 20lbs more than 35s?

I'm in IL, we don't really have any rocks to play on, just some decent trails that I will hit 6 times a year if I'm lucky. I can afford repairs and upgrades but don't want my baby to become a money pit. So should I stick with the 37s?

I think people are over hyping these these axles bending.

I've had a 4.5" lift and 37's on for 3 years with stock bj's, stock d30, stock shafts etc. With no problems.

I don't rock crawl at all....just typical power line trails, two tracks in the woods.

Granted my 37's are the courser mxt's which are very lite for a 37. But my stock BJ'S are still tight. And this is with the horrid roads here in Michigan where we literally have raised bumps almost like speed bumps spanning the roads everywheremail being hit at 45-50 mph.

Now I will say that the only issue I need to address is the front shaft Rzeppa joint at the TC ripped the boot and is slinging some great so that is a ticking time bomb.
I'm going to get the TF high angle Rzeppa rebuild kit and be done.

I do think there's value in trussing and gussets for sure. I will likely do that in the near future just for peace of mind.

If I was a hardcore rock crawler etc. I would have yanked both axles and went minimum PR44 unlimited or a full D60.

Keep us posted!

·
RETIRED MODERATER
35,008 Posts
This subject is discussed quiet often.
We just had our Southwest meet-n-great yesterday. There were a lot of wranglers there, everything from stock to heavily beefed up like mommymallcrawlers.

The Phoenix area just seems to have a very high population of Wranglers. We have approx. a dozen different Dealers selling them, which contributes to the high population.
Just about any parking lot that you pull into you will see several of them. Every time that I pull into Costco, there is already 6 to 8 of them parked there. Mostly JK's and JKU's, but we also still have some nice looking TJ's still running. Partially, because we don't have rust issues out here.
Many of these are lifted with 33's, 35's, 37's and on a rare occasion 40's. When I look under them, most are not beefed up. Still have stock Ball Joints, no C Gussets, and I hardly ever see one Trussed. But most of these, don't have any pin stripes, or show any signs of offroad usage underneath.

So the bottom line is, how are you going to use yours???
If your plans are to rock crawl and beat the hell out of it, then beef it up so that it will be equipped to handle the abuse. But if it is only going to be used as a DD and or a mallcrawler, then why spend all of that money!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts