Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was under my Jeep the other day, and I noticed a lot of wetness in places where they shouldn't be wet

Here's my front differential

and this is the bottom

And then my oil pan

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
bump

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Pinion seal?

I had mine replaced for $200. Included the new seal and new diff fluid.

Learned after the fact it's not hard to tackle your self.
ouch! $200 doesn't sound nice... I guess I should do some research on how to replace it yourself, if that's what it is...

but its weird b/c obviously there's a leak at the pack, which could be the pinion seal, but then it looks like its leaking out the front in those three spots too

·
Administrator
12,622 Posts
Spray the area with some brake cleaner. Then watch and see which direction the leak is coming from. I would say the one is a pinion, the pan leak, might just need a new seal or a bolt snugged. I would also check the diff fluid level.. should be just below the fill plug.

·
Super Moderator
53,784 Posts
jstone326 said:
ouch! $200 doesn't sound nice... I guess I should do some research on how to replace it yourself, if that's what it is...

but its weird b/c obviously there's a leak at the pack, which could be the pinion seal, but then it looks like its leaking out the front in those three spots too
Gasket itself? Actually just a RTV seal.

·
Rock-Rubber
16,971 Posts
jstone326 said:
The gasket between the diff cover and the body of the diff is just rtv seal so you replace it for the cost of diff oil and like 4 bucks or the new rtv. So less than 15.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The gasket between the diff cover and the body of the diff is just rtv seal so you replace it for the cost of diff oil and like 4 bucks or the new rtv. So less than 15.
gotcha... so I just take off the diff cover, put on some new sealant, and replaced the gear oil?

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Does anyone know of a good writeup for replacing the pinion seal? I have the service manual, but its not that clear...

·
Registered
570 Posts
jstone326 said:
Does anyone know of a good writeup for replacing the pinion seal? I have the service manual, but its not that clear...
The Haynes repair manual procedure is the way to go in my opinion. It's pretty straight forward and makes sense. You really don't want to over tighten a pinion nut.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The Haynes repair manual procedure is the way to go in my opinion. It's pretty straight forward and makes sense. You really don't want to over tighten a pinion nut.
really?? Because I've found it to be a horrible repair manual, really confusing and also the problem is that it tries to cover a pretty wide range of models, but I haven't looked at that particular write up... though then again, I just realized I have the Chilton's, not the Haynes, but I thought they were pretty much the same

·
Registered
570 Posts
jstone326 said:
really?? Because I've found it to be a horrible repair manual, really confusing and also the problem is that it tries to cover a pretty wide range of models, but I haven't looked at that particular write up... though then again, I just realized I have the Chilton's, not the Haynes, but I thought they were pretty much the same
Yes, I can agree on both books being crappy, but this procedure is the best I found after searching the Internet for a procedure myself. I'm having the same issues with oil leakage as you, just waiting for spring to tackle them.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yes, I can agree on both books being crappy, but this procedure is the best I found after searching the Internet for a procedure myself. I'm having the same issues with oil leakage as you, just waiting for spring to tackle them.
oh okay... that's the first time I've heard anyone recommend the Haynes :)... but I'll definitely check it out...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts