Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I need some urgent advice! I will keep it to the point and hopefully some of you will know what to do / where to look..

Yesterday I drove a 22 mile round trip to town and back. When I parked up back home and got out, I could hear some serious bubbling/boiling going on! There was also a clear liquid (like water) dripping from next to the battery between some pipes. Also all the gauges, including engine temp were just fine.

I opened the hood and the boiling/bubbling noise was coming from the top radiator pipe (see pic A), and it was very hot!

The water like liquid was dripping from around the two pipes I've circled in picture B. I say 'around' because I can't pin point where it was coming from, it was all over that area. See the water droplets in picture C.

Between those pipes, coming out of the firewall, is the end of a pipe (see pic D). Maybe a breather or over flow pipe? I can't be sure if this is where the water like stuff is coming from but it was dripping from the end of that pipe.

Is anyone able to help me please? It has never done this before, and as I mentioned, all the gauges were reading normal. Any advice will be much appreciated.

Thank you. FarmerTom.

Attachments

·
Registered
14,317 Posts
The dripping is normal condensation from the air conditioner
When air is cooled in ac it can not hold as much moisture so some water condenses out and that is where it drains

The same as metal glass with an icy cold drink developed water droplets on the outside

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14,317 Posts
Looks like you 2nd picture is reversed

The radiator hose should be far to hot to hold in your hand

Not enough information on bubbling sound

Make sure system is full with appropriate coolant water mix, no leaks, correct amount in overflow and might need a new radiator cap as it maintains proper pressure which raises boiling point of coolant

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
My advice

1st: Go to the doctor & get on some anti anxiety medication.
2nd: Watch some YouTube videos on the normal functions of a Internal Combustion Engine & modern vehicle.

·
I always wanted a Jeep...
470 Posts

The radiator hose should be far to hot to hold in your hand

Not enough enforcement on bubbling sound

Make sure system is full with appropriate coolant water mix, no leaks, correct amount in overflow and might need a new radiator cap as it maintains proper pressure which raises boiling point of coolant

Also make sure you have purged your radiator properly. I had the same issue after I swapped out my radiator and after completing a proper purge and getting all the air out it worked way better and I no longer had the issue.

·
I always wanted a Jeep...
470 Posts
My advice

1st: Go to the doctor & get on some anti anxiety medication.
2nd: Watch some YouTube videos on the normal functions of a Internal Combustion Engine & modern vehicle.
This comment is just not needed and is surely not helpful at all. Lets be civil and help people with real answers when they ask.

·
Administrator
12,562 Posts
Based on his location.. picture seems correct.

that being said the "boiling" sounds are normal.. as engine/coolant cools down it will sometimes makes some odd sounds. However, make sure the coolant is full. You could maybe have a small air pocket and may need to burp the system(get some air out). You do that by starting with cold engine start... remove radiator cap.. and as engine comes upto temp.. squeeze and release that top radiator hose as this will allow the air pocket to escape. Youtube has some vids to check for reference as well.

·
Registered
14,317 Posts
Yep also should have figured it out by intake location but it was pretty early and I missed that

·
Knows a couple things...
49,002 Posts
Boiling at too low of a temperature is often/usually caused by the radiator cap not holding pressure... either by it not being screwed down all the way or having gone bad and releasing pressure before it's supposed to at less than 18 psi.

I'd check the radiator cap for looseness. If it's loose, tighten it down all the way. If it's not loose, I'd replace with with a new radiator cap that has the correct 18 lb. pressure rating.

And the clear liquid dripping down on the passenger side is pure water which is the normal condensation from the a/c system. The more humid the air, the more condensation the a/c system will generate. On humid days the a/c system will drip a LOT of water under the Jeep. :)

·
Premium Member
559 Posts
like it says above, its ac condensate. the fact it is clear should have been your first clue. your engine coolant should be tinted from the antifreeze, unless you run straight water (don't do that). sometimes that drain hose gets plugged up. run something in it to clear it out. if it is sticking straight out from the firewall, run some tubing (snug fit) up in it and let it hang down low, at least below the firewall, some place it will have a clear area to drain. fix it so it won't flap around. worked great on my dodge ram.
when you run the ac, occasionally check under it to see that it's peeing like it should. you'll see a wet spot in the parking lot.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi
I had the same thing a couple of weeks ago, in my case there was no liquid anymore in the radiator and the boiling sound came from the expansion vessel right next to the radiator.
The waterpump gasket blew, blowing out the entire cooling system and resulting in an overheated engine with a blown headgasket. The temperature gauge stayed around 90 deg. Celsius until the very last moment where it indicated 125, but than it was already too late. The temp sensor can measure the temperature of the liquid, but not the air (when it's empty), thats why the reading was faulty.
BUT I HOPE SINCERELY IT IS YOUR AIR CON;
Regards Theo

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey guys. Thank you all for your replies. I flushed the coolant system, put in a new t-stat, gasket and rad cap and filled it with g05. No more weird bubbling/boiling now, and after getting the air out the system the engine is running at normal temps, 98deg or 208F.

However, whilst driving if i stop and idle in traffic etc, the temp rises to 104 deg or almost 220F... is this normal? Its only about 60F out today, not hot, but then again I have never looked at the neadle so intently as now, so it could have done this before.

·
Commercial Member
7,174 Posts
Hey guys. Thank you all for your replies. I flushed the coolant system, put in a new t-stat, gasket and rad cap and filled it with g05. No more weird bubbling/boiling now, and after getting the air out the system the engine is running at normal temps, 98deg or 208F.

However, whilst driving if i stop and idle in traffic etc, the temp rises to 104 deg or almost 220F... is this normal? Its only about 60F out today, not hot, but then again I have never looked at the neadle so intently as now, so it could have done this before.
Fan clutch?

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Depends on the outside temps, mine does that same thing but it cools right down once I start moving again.
I've replaced everything so at this point I'm not worried about it.
I deal with 100-120 outside temps

1 - 14 of 14 Posts