Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sup guys, I wanna stuff 33' duratracs onto my stock 06 TJ. Im assuming Ill need a 4' lift kit but is there anything else Im missing?

·
Registered
451 Posts
You can use a 4" suspension lift, but IMHO it is better to fit 33's with a combination of a 2" suspension lift, a 1.25" body lift, and a 1" motor mount lift. This is a superior approach because:

1) The smaller suspension lift avoids the need to fit a CV driveshaft or longer driveshaft via a Slip Yoke Eliminator mod to your transfer case. A 4" suspension lift often will cause acute driveshaft angles in a short TJ driveshaft, resulting in diveshaft vibrations and rapid wear as the suspension droops. (Saving you $300 on the CV shaft and $300 on the Slip Yoke Eliminator.)

2) The Body Lift/ Motor Mount Lift reduces the increase in the center-of-gravity height above the ground, making the Jeep safer and more stable onroad and offroad both. The body lift also allows you to fit a tummy tuck at a later date for more center ground clearance, and to fit the 33" spare on the tailgate, eliminating the need for an annoying tire swing on the rear bumper. (No tire swing is a $300 to $500 cost reduction.) Finally, the Body Lift allows you to raise the gas tank for a better rear departure angle.

3) The only downside to a 2" suspension lift plus a 1.25" body lift and a 1" Motor Mount Lift is a more complicated installation. But I have been running that combination trouble-free for 7 years. I also fit 1.25" wheel spacers which allowed me to run LT305/70R16 tires without having to put washers under the steering stops - I like a Jeep that turns sharp offroad.

I reccomend the DPG "Deluxe" TJ/LJ lift: Old Man Emu Deluxe TJ/LJ Wrangler Kit | dpgoffroad.com

There are a number of DPG lifts listed at the bottom of that page which gives you the option of increasing your lift later if you decide to go larger than 33's. Generally speaking, you always want to run the smallest lift that clears the tires you are running.

·
Registered
8,952 Posts
33's are fit in two common ways on TJ's:

1. 4" suspension lift, with ~2" bumpstop extensions in front and ~2.5" in the rear. Requires a SYE/CV shaft.
2. ~2.5" suspension lift, with a 1.25" body lift, with ~1-1.25" bumpstop extensions in front and ~1.25-1.5" in the rear. The 1.25" BL usually accompanies a 1" Motor Mount Lift to offset some of the driveline angles.

Either way you go, figure on some or many of the following components: longer front brake lines, extended sway bar links front and rear, gears, brake and steering upgrades to accommodate larger tires, SYE, CV shaft, bumpstop extensions, new shocks, adjustable track bars, and a rear track bar bracket.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, it sounds like I'll just stick to getting 31's.... Thanks for all the feedback thought guys!!!

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
You can do a 3.25 lift 2bb 1.25bl 1mml for about $200 and a day or weekend, then you'll be able to run 33's.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts